“Home from Home”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pinelands
South Africa
“Home from Home”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

On return from an overseas holiday we spent the night at the City Lodge Pinelands. From the moment we walked in we felt at home. The reception was great and took only a minute to sign in.
Our luggage was taken to our room which was really very nice. Clean and comfortable bed with lovely bathroom and fluffy towels. Very quiet air conditioning help us have a very good nights sleep. The breakfast next morning was great. It just seemed to us that the staff were so pleased to have us as guests. I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We thank you for the wonderful review! We're glad that we can provide you with that home away from home feeling, further we're pleased you were satisfied with the room and the breakfast. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights recently and chose it because of its close proximity to both the airport and the start of a The Two Oceans Marathon. Staff were very friendly and efficient, food was great, plenty of secure parking and very comfortable well appointed room. All in all excellent value for money and some nice personal touches. Obviously a good management team in place at this establishment. Take a bow!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gerry S
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for the great review. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Westville, South Africa
Reviewed 25 March 2014

As far as a hotel room goes, I can't give you the value-for-money rating because I'm here on business and have no idea how much the room costs, however, I can give you my impression of the place based on my experience thus far.

The double twin that I'm staying is is fine; comfortable beds, decent sized TV, air con, coffee and tea facilities, and a separate lounge chair and coffee table. A bonus is the separate shower / bath which often isn't available in rooms of this size.

There's a separate fitness area which offers a few cardio machines and some weights - good enough.

Mornings are greeted with a good assortment of hot and cold breakfasts - my personal preference is the roasted nuts in honey and cereal but there's enough variety for everyone.

I'm NOT happy about the misleading hotel information on the website:
"Electronic safe large enough to accommodate a laptop" - not true, it's not large enough so I have my laptop left out at night (although I've been offered to use the manager's private safe, this is simply not convenient).

The cupboard is also small - can't fit my luggage nor my work shirts in the cupboard properly!

Wireless internet amounts to 60 minutes uncapped 4Mbps (or so) per 24 hours, with an option to top up for more. Judging by the general quality of the room I can't imagine the price of the room is cheap, so 60 minutes WIFI seems a bit tight.

To have a friend join me for breakfast was going to cost R115 for a mixed breakfast or R100 for the continental option (and it's not R15 for a cooked meal so I don't know how they work out a continental costing R100) - way too steep!!

The biggest issue I have with the hotel is an experience I had today: I came home after a long day at work, found my card did not open my room any more, got a new one loaded, and came into my room to find an economy class South African Airways ticket in my bed dating a week ago! Seems a bit peculiar that someone else's ticket is in my room and that my card didn't work; I suspect they're unrelated but in the worst-case, someone else gained access to my room (a simple request at front desk can accomplish this; not faulting the system, just quite alarming how easy it could technically be) and then slept in my room. Most likely case is that the linen wasn't properly turfed the last time and I've got remnants of Mr. M Mapaya's leftovers in my bed tonight!

The hotel is overall a reasonably happy experience; comfortable and staff are very pleasant but either way, not a pleasant thought to think there's dirty linen on my bed - quite disconcerting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank brattex
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities we offer. However, we do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We will most definitely look into this matter. Thanks
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Very well appointed and excellent value for money. Handily located to the north of Cape Town this new hotel offers good sized rooms and value for money dining. Very friendly and helpful staff, wifi provided free.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you gain soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This hotel is so central and within a few minutes to the N1, N2, M5 the city, airport, Canal Walk,/Century, UCT, Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden and many other places. The service is good. There is golf course in the vicinity. The hotel is very close to Vincent Pallotti Hospital and Oude Mollen. From the hotel you can see table mountain and UCT

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the N2, those along Forest Drive.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the awesome review. We are pleased to hear taht you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Hi,
We stayed here about a week. Very good location central close to airport & central Cape Town. Very friendly staff, excellent breakfasts! Very clean & a pool too! Parking is secure, & some views onto a lovely peaceful golf course. Will stay here again when we're in Cape Town!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelbugg787
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thanks so much for your review - we look forward to your next visit.
Port Elizabeth
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Thanks to other TripAdvisor reviewers, I chose this hotel for my 2 day Cape Town stay. What a pleasure!
Conveniently placed just off the N2, a few minutes from town... easy to find.
Overlooking a peaceful golf-course.
Secure parking.
Lovely coffee-shop and breakfast area.
Clean, comfy rooms.
Wifi.
Friendly staff.
What's not to like? :) I'll definitely stay here again on future trips.

Room Tip: Ask for early check-in if you need it - I did, and was accommodated without any fuss.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review- hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinelands
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Mowbray
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#76 of 106 in Cape Town Central
City Lodge Hotel GrandWest
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
Road Lodge Cape Town N1 City
City Lodge Hotel V&A Waterfront
City Lodge Hotel V&A Waterfront
#64 of 106 in Cape Town Central
Road Lodge Airport Cape Town

Been to City Lodge Hotel Pinelands? Share your experiences!