Riverlodge Backpackers
Colette's Bed and Breakfast(Pinelands)(Great Value!)
US$64
AppleGarth B&B(Pinelands)
TripAdvisor
Bradclin House(Pinelands)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstrain stationriver lodgeother guestscape townnew friendsenjoyed my stayvalue for moneylocation is excellentvery nice placeshort stayawesome stayhostelfacilitiessafetyestatesecurityfestival
Reviewed 25 April 2014

staying at Riverlodge was a great experience. the staff were so helpful with all my inquiries, it is nice and close to the airport, also very easy to get the train to and from the city here. Thanks for making my stay so comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicola S
RiverlodgeCapeTown, Manager at Riverlodge Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi NicolaS
Thanks for the comments, and we are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was the most depressing, disgusting accommodation I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. If moving had been an option, I would have left immediately. Unfortunately, our rather large group was booked in for 6 hellish nights. The staff was quite indifferent to complaints. The management, however, did move us to another room for one night when we complained that our room smelled of urine. We were returned to the same room after the removal of the carpet and thorough cleaning (?). The smell had returned after a half a day. Filthy fly- infested kitchen, people sleeping overnight in the lounge areas, 'courtyard' bordered by derelict buildings. The Riverlodge should be boarded up like its neighbors as it is not fit for human habitation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mona H

Dear Mona H
Thank you for your comments. On behalf of all staff and management at Riverlodge Backpackers, I would like to extend our apologies for the bad experience you had at our lodge.
I would like to assure you that we take all complaints very seriously. We have addressed the issues of cleanliness in a strict manner and will continue to ensure the cleanliness of the lodge.
Unfortunately, the state of surrounding buildings are beyond our control, but we are doing everything in our power to improve those areas we can address.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Disgusting. We arrived late and had no choice but to stay here. We were first checked into a room that hadn't been made up yet so were moved into one that was. These rooms are obviously not cleaned properly or often enough because we could immediately smell something rotten. After brief inspection I was horrified to find FAECES on under the pillows. We were then moved into a tiny, over priced bunk room and noticed when passing the old room that this matter wasn't dealt with- you could smell and see from the hall that no one had cleaned the previous room.
Aside from this the kitchen was filthy and disorganized not to mention the one staff member we could find had no idea what she was doing.
We couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lucy B
RiverlodgeCapeTown, General Manager at Riverlodge Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi Lucy B
Thank you for your comments. The unfortunate incident was brought under my attention and on behalf of all staff and management at Riverlodge I would like to extend my apologies for the bad experience you had. I assure you that we take all complaints very seriously. In response to your comments I would like to mention that we have stepped up our cleaning schedule and do everything in our power to ensure all areas of the lodge are cleaned and checked regularly. Also, in an effort to organise the kitchen, stricter rules have been implemented, and drawer and fridge space is now being allocated to guests upon check-in.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This place was unfriendly, not very well organised, the bathroom facilities where poor and really a backpackers only place. We choose because of cost only but really worth paying a little extra if you can afford it !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank feedcafe

Dear feedcafe
Thank you for your comments. Your constructive criticism has been taken under advisement, and we would like to assure you of friendlier staff and more, cleaner and better facilities in the future, still at an affordable rate.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This place looks great on the website and our choir leaders unknowingly chose it as our base in Capetown while we sang in concerts around the Capetown area. There was a lack of showers, one between several rooms, and they were only cleaned ossasionly.It is an ex-mental institution , and still has that feel. The doors clang and rattle at night (I nearly bought them some 3-in one oil to ease the squeaking) and it is hard to find any peace and quiet. The communal eating area is dominated by two enormous TVs, with a sign 'DO NOT TURN OFF', which are on 24/7 very loudly. Only one fridge worked which wasn't adequate for so many people. Some of our group found mice in their room. It's saving grace was that is close to Pineland station for easy access to Downtown Capetown, and there is a lovely community run swimming pool in the Eco village round the corner. I felt ripped off because you have to pay for a voucher for WIFI and they only had R 120 vouchers
left!
One night I was outside my room about 11.30pm and a drunk white man came in (he wasn't a guest) and approached me asking for alcohol. He was quite aggressive and very loud and if I had been completely on my own, I would have felt vulnerable.I did complain to reception the next morning. This place needs more security. They complained that the government, who own the building would not invest cash to refurbish it, but cleanliness does not need cash.

Room Tip: Avoid the double beside the reception. It's very noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Helen P

Hi Helen P
Thank you for your comments. In the spirit of a constructive response I would like to assure you of the following:
- We have improved cleaning schedules to ensure that all ablutions, common areas and facilities are clean and tidy at all times, even with large groups such as yourselves.
- We are in the process of increasing our ablutions.
- We have a security guard on duty every evening and night, to ensure the safety of guests.
- At the time you wanted to purchase a WiFi voucher, we were experiencing a network problem which prevented us from supplying smaller vouchers.
Be assured of our continued commitment to ensuring a pleasurable stay for all our guests.