“A lovely family campsite - keycamp mobile home was lovely!”
Review of La Garangeoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint-Julien-des-Landes
La Garangeoire
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We arrived in the first week of August and stayed for 11 nights in a keycamp mobile home. We have a girl and boy aged 13 and 10. Firstly I would like to mention the standard of our mobile home; it was extremely clean and modern. The usual places one would expect to see wear and tear such as mattresses and showers, were spotless. (well done Katie!) The pitch was spacious with both sun and shade. I couldnt see any badly placed or sized pitches and some groupings had lovely stretches of grass inbetween the rows to almost form mini "greens" - which would be a godsend if you have toddlers that like to explore beyong the car boundary. These areas also looked perfect for badminton etc.
On arrival we had to check in with the site and we were given a weekly event sheet which was packed full of things to do. Our 10 year old straight away circled all the things he was going to have a go at. Previous comments have said there is nothing for teenagers - I found an event sheet for them but my daughter wasnt interested and had much more fun gradually making friends and hanging out with them all holiday. They all appeared to be good kids and I didnt see any trouble.
I did think the pool was small for the size of the site. The owner did remove towels from sunbeds first thing in the morning, which appeared to have been dumped by people sending their kids up before breakfast to reserve - so that was good to see!
Other activities we did were archery, fishing, pedalos, yoga (this was wonderful, in the grounds of the chateaux - pure peace!), table tennis.
Evening entertainment was ok - we took part in the quiz one night (at the request of my son) and met some lovely people and made a team. Other than that, the outside bar area was full of families with small kids, which was lovely for them, but as we are just out of that phase now, wasnt really our thing. The restuarant served lovely food and the service was friendly as were the bar staff. They all spoke really good english or were English or Irish themselves. If you want a quieter drink - the internet bar is small and Nathan the barman was really friendly for that "away from the crowds" nightcap.
Beaches - Les dunes, about 15 minutes drive away was perfect and the carpark is relatively near the beach - go before lunch or shortly after, the locals arrived around 3 - 5 and then we noticed queues of cars etc. The waves are strong so be careful.
All in all this is such a friendly site. I kept hearing from the kids that the friends they made come year after year. We were blessed with the "best ever" weather apparantly which I know helps. Would love to go back!

Reviewed 27 August 2012

After reading the reviews I was really excited about the trip. I wasn't dissapointed! We went with Eurocamp and had a very clean and new caravan on a lovely site with a spacious pitch. There was so much to do for families that you'd be hard pressed to find time to leave the site. Only small issue was the pool area. Unless you were there before 10.30 it was difficult to get a sun bed but at least the no reserving allowed was enforced. Only other improvement would be to enforce the lane swimming until 1.00 as stipulated and ensure the dsicbaled access to the pool is clear at al times. Other than the minor points well receommed a visit!

1  Thank SueBam
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Just returned from a delightful stay at La Garangeoire. Some superb weather on a well run and very popular site. We were in a Eurocamp chalet that was clean and spacious - no complaints and in a good site position. The site is (and feels) very busy right through the day as most people appear to stay on site due to the comprehensive ents programme. Our children did some activities that they enjoyed with the only minus being against the soccer station - not impressed. Found the many staff friendly and helpful and we had a meal in the restaurant that was very enjoyable.
This park is in a great area - near so many great beaches and seaside towns. Knocked a mark off as we felt the park was too busy (space to people ratio) and the lack of decent wi-fi provision.

1  Thank WhiteShirt76
Reviewed 27 August 2012

As others have said this is a lovely and well-appointed campsite run in a relaxed but efficient manner by helpful and charming staff. Our daughter loved the horses and the pools and there was lots to do for the under-10s. Overwhelmingly, visitors were from the UK.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed in a Keycamp mobile home which was very comfortable and well equipped, and on a large plot with plenty of privacy. The surrounding countryside provided lovely walks and my daughter and I enjoyed the horse riding through the woods (which was too expensive to do more than once). The bar and restaurant were ok but the pool area was much too small for the number of holidaymakers - where's the enjoyment in playing sardines in a swimming pool?! Unfortunately, my teenagers (aged 16 and 19) did not enjoy themselves but that was not La Garangeoire's fault. Although when my son played in the organised football matches it appeared that the sports coaches were totally disinterested and would have preferred to have been somewhere else, the tennis courts were always fully booked and we were unable to play table tennis due to the number of kids messing around.
All in all, the site was lovely, but not for our family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed here for 2 weeks in August 2012 with our two daughters aged 3 and 6. Booked through Al Fresco we had good service from them. Arrival was easy and Geoff their representative was helpful and showed us to our caravan. This was very clean and did not look very old. If you can request a pitch by the green, these are away from the main site, the pitches are larger and there is a green for the children to run around on.

The pool area was excellent and the girls enjoyed it although you can't eat or drink by the pool, a first for us and we've stayed at many sites including other Castels sites. We had no problem getting a sun bed although there were quite a few English towels that liked to sunbathe ...

Bar was good and not too expensive, service was quick enough but staff vary in their attitude. Our friends were even told to speak English because she was too busy to try and understand his poor French !

Toilet / shower blocks were average. We have seen much better on our many trips to french campsites and Yelloh definitely have far better facilities.

Entertainment was average, not much happening in the evenings. A circus did visit but it was poor.

Make sure you visit Puydu Fou about an hour away, it a fantastic experience for all ages and not too expensive. Cheaper if you book ahead with the campsite rather than paying on the door.

Les sables d'Lonne is also very good and worth a visit for the beach. Really nice sea front and harbour.

Overall we had a great holiday and are planning our 2013 trip now.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Checkley1973
Al_Fresco_11, Al Fresco Holidays Customer Service Team at La Garangeoire, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you for your comments - I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your Al Fresco Holidays experience. We hope to see you again, Kind Regards Al Fresco Holidays.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this campsite in our own caravan, meeting up with friends. We were delighted with the size of the pitch compared to pitch sizes in the UK campsites. We unfortunately were quite shaded for most of the day and had to frequently move our chairs to catch the sun when sitting outside, however it offered great shade on the really hot days. The shower / toilet block were mainly clean, I had to queue only once and only for a short period in a two week stay. There are many shower blocks so I could have walked further in order not to queue. I personally like to see a mop and bucket so the shower can be mopped out after each use, which was not available. I found on numerous occasions the showers were in the dark, not completely, but needed light, I was unable to find the light switch to the shower block. We did not use the pool, and yes it was always busy, although the other two families who we were with used it frequently with no concerns. We used the bar many nights and yes it was also busy, but no problems getting drinks, the entertainment was okay, only one night after seating ourselves in the garden we were asked to vacate the garden and seat ourselves on the pool terrace as they were shutting the garden at 2230hrs. Luckily we eventually found seats for the 9 of us quite quickly. We used the restaurant once, which could not be faulted, lovely meal and good service, with varying prices. The other facilities which we personally did not use were obviously the kids play area, which was spacious and the children in our group enjoyed. The pony trekking, tennis, running club each morning, the boating on the lake, the go karts and an array of other activities which were welcomed by all. My husband and two friends went on the organised adult bike ride (20 miles) which they loved. We used the spa on last but one day which was nice, although did not use the sauna, as that day was particularly hot. The reception was very helpful to me personally, as I needed to see a doctor on a Saturday morning, which could only be the emergency doctor, the receptionist persevered until I had an appointment, which I was grateful for. Overall this campsite fits the bill, and yes it gets really busy but this is expected for this time of year. You are given the opportunity to put names and pitches down for the next year and now I understand why it is so difficult to get a place on the campsite in the first place. Many people returning year after year, tells people what they want to know about the site. And yes we have put our preferences in for next year and hope to be lucky enough to get a good pitch.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Julien-des-Landes
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa ...
#2 of 28 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Domaine de Brandois
Domaine de Brandois
#1 of 2 in La Mothe Achard
Hotel Atlantic Thalasso & Spa Valdys
Hotel Atlantic Thalasso & Spa Va...
#2 of 17 in Saint-Jean-de-Monts
Hotel Thierry Drapeau
Hotel Thierry Drapeau
#1 of 1 in Saint-Sulpice-le-Verdon
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fontenelles
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fo...
#1 of 1 in L'Aiguillon-sur-Vie
Camping La Bretonniere
Camping La Bretonniere
#1 of 3 in Saint-Julien-des-Landes

Been to La Garangeoire? Share your experiences!