“Only one gripe (and a half)”
Review of La Garangeoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint-Julien-des-Landes
La Garangeoire
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was our sixth visit and did not disappoint.

Great park which is really geared up for young children.

As with every year, rweally inpressed and we are going bavk in 2014.

Minor gipe with the pool this year. It was really murky so you could not see more that a mter under water on eone (busy day), but they were cleaning it the following day, so this might have been a one off. Anyway, loads of great beaches nearby.

Park a victim of its own success, with less and less people trying to speak French each year and the main bar feeling more and more like a pub.

Owners always about and other than the pool I would have marked this as excellent.

1  Thank Markhayling

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just arrived back after a lovely, sunny and hot 2 weeks at La Garangeoire. As a family consisting of 2 grandparents, myself (mum) and 2 boys (13 & 7)we had high expectations of what we wanted from the site and it delivered. We booked through Canvas (who from booking to the rep on site, were great) and I must say that although they are the smaller company there, they definately have the best pitches.We had booked a 3 bed caravan & it was spacious, on a large plot, even with the car parked and the decking alongside. Canvas caravans are at the opposite side of the site from reception and you feel like you are in your own little world.It was lovely & quiet, the sun shone on the caravan all day yet we were a very short walk to all the amenities allowing the boys to be able to go off by themselves to do things.The site itself is well maintained, the pool area has a very safe floor all around it (not the usual slippy tiles) and was cleaned daily.The poolside bar floor was cleaned every morning to rid it of the daily spills.
There was plenty for all to do especially the children. They enjoyed the pool,good play area and a very large football pitch where we all went to play with the frisbee, etc.Played crazy golf (you can get clubs for free use from the small bar next to the reception & you can buy the balls from reception but take your own if you plan on using it).The tennis court is 6.50 euros for an hour but we waited until later in the evening & used them for nothing. The archery lessons were well worth the small fee for an hour, children can participate from 6 years old & the man who does the lessons was really nice & explained everything clearly.There are pedloes, a rowing boat & two 3 person canoes which you can use for free. You have to leave a 20 euro deposit which is for an hour & as long as you are back within your time you get your deposit back, you are told that you will be charged if you are late back.There are 4 marked walks which you can follow & they are a good nature exploration for kids, my youngest loved looking for all the bugs & creepy crawlies you can find.We never used the restaurant or kids club but both were always busy.There are plenty of bike racks for all the bikes people use to get around especially the children.
Like anywhere though the site has its negatives/faults all are only small but they add up over time. There are many rules that are set however they are not all followed by holiday makers and not enforced by staff.Our biggest bug bearer was people putting towels on beds with no intention of using them for hours but these towels were never removed and the people never told, also people having beds for their kids & the kids spend the whole time in the pool. (a little bit of consideration for others would go a long way)
The pool area is very small for the number of people wanting to use it.
The pool at the bottom of the slides is a hazard in the fact that far to many people stay in the pool (which is tiny) once they have come down the slides instead of getting out & I think the lifeguards should be making it clear that it is a danger & to get them out. Also be careful around the edge of the main pool as there are some sharp edges on the tiles my son cut himself twice & I saw other children showing cuts when they had gotten out.
It is stated that men/boys have to wear swimming trunks however after wasting money buying these items (which won't be used again) they don't have to most people just wore swim shorts.
The shop is far far far to small for the site and has little to offer. I don't know if they are running the stock down as the site shuts in a few weeks but there was hardly anything to choose from & items didn't seem to be replaced. The bread was nice but the croissants were expensive, small & over cooked.The poolside bar needs more staff in it during the day, as we were there for 2 very sunny weeks the bar got busy in the day (this is where they sell ice creams) but the bar staff (2 each day we went) were rude and blind.You got fed up with standing there waiting to be served (yet they would keep walking past you). There was never a "will be with you in a minute" from any of them. I must stress that all the other staff we came into contact with on the site were helpful and polite.
The walks need the signposts for them sorting out as some are missing & some don't make it clear as to which way you should be going.
Due to the site being set amongst the trees you get lots of flies (they drive you potty when you are sat outside eating) and also a huge number of wasps. I would recommend you take citronella candles with you to keep them away and bug spray for when you go on the walks.
None of the above ruined our holiday though but I do think a few little changes would go a long way.
I wouldn't say we would go back to the site again I know lots of people go back year after year and book whilst they are there but if I was going back and wasn't going to book with canvas (which I would without any hesitation as there pitches are the best) whoever you book with, if you want sunshine make sure you say when you book as there are alot of plots that get little or no sun all day long due to the large amount of trees.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at la Garangeoire mid-July. It was our first holiday on a campsite and something very new to us! To be concise, hubby and kids loved it, while I missed the comforts of a nice hotel with air con! We had looked forward to a nice climate in the Vendee, but arrived just as the heatwave struck, and I found the confines of our chalet a little difficult to bear. The kids didn't mind, so that was the main thing.
All in all, the campsite is wonderful. It seems to be a tightly-run ship, where law and order rule the day! All areas are clean, tidy and well-maintained. The pool area is spotless, although on one particular day, for some unknown reason, the pool was teeming with dead flies and the lifeguard just sat looking on. I asked him, very politely and en francais, if he could do something about it. He was very pleasant and proceeded to clean the pool, although why he didn't do it earlier is beyond me as the flies were piling up on the surface and everybody was wincing at them!
My greatest 'treat' at la Garangeoire was being able to ship off my two darlings to kids' camp every morning! I am effectively a single mum at home as hubby works abroad for weeks at a time, so kids' camp was a godsend. They loved it, although other parents told me the Eurocamp clubs are better... I am not really in a position to comment any more on that as I did not have first-hand knowledge of the latter.
Lastly, I feels I should mention the restaurant. For our second week, hubby and I ate there every night and loved it! I have read other reviews of the restaurant and have been surprised by some rather lackluster comments. We found the food delicious and fairly priced in comparison to home. A demi carafe of house wine, which was quite acceptable, was €5.50, and other extras were not extortionate. The waiters were very pleasant and helpful, and the little bonus of dining in peace was bliss!!
Hubby is set on returning to La Garangeoire next year. For what we paid for the whole holiday, we could have enjoyed 5 star all-inclusive in the Canaries, but, let's face it, the kids loved it, I was able to brush up on my French, and hubby felt he could relax without the stuffiness of a 5 star resort....looks like we WILL be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SuzieBrookDL
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is a beautiful campsite, in gorgeous setting.
We stayed in a Castels own mobile home (closer to reception area and huge pitches)
Our girls (aged 13, 10 and 20 months) loved it and made lots of new friends.
We swam, walked, rode bikes, pony trekked and took part in some of the excellent site activities like the crepe parties, the evening entertainment (a good Queen tribute) night swimming, garden games, the fantastic park etc. etc.
We were lucky with the weather. It was beautiful. We found the day would often start a bit overcast and dark, but by lunchtime bright sunshine arrived, and the best sunlight was from 3-9, when nothing nicer than sitting on our deck with a large glass of the local grape juice, aka vin rouge!
The onsite restaurant is fantastic and good prices. I had a 'trois poisson' dish, which was gorgeous, beautifully presented and tasty. The takeaway is very handy, and the shop too.
Staff were all so friendly, absolutely lovely. Nothing too much trouble. In the bar, the shop, restaurant etc, the bike hire shop (my husband said he was very helpful)
An artist visited one day and we got beautiful drawings of our girls for only 9 euros each!
We visited St. Gilles (great market, seafood, ice cream and my daughter got a hair braid)
St. Jean De Monts (on the only day it rained for us, gorgeous wide expanse of beach though)
Apremont (very pretty town with interesting chateau and pedalo rides on the river)
Puy Du Fou historic theme park (husband took girls and said it was brilliant- long day, but worth it)
All the bbq's on the site are gas, so quick, clean and easy to use. (which we did, lots!)
My husband recommends the guided walk the owner of La Garangeoire does. He said it was fascinating, full of local information and history, which the owner is clearly passionate about.
We loved it so much we're returning for two weeks next summer and have booked already!

1  Thank Meld37
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed for ten days in August, had great time, perfect for children with lots of activities. Horse riding, lakes for fishing and boating, learn to ride a bike, crepe parties etc.... Most at no or minimal cost. Booked with key camp and arrangements were efficient and service friendly. Highly recommend the site and the facilities. We will be going back next year.

2  Thank Dave l
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed in a Eurocamp caravan for the first two weeks in July with our 8 and 11 year old children. The caravan was better laid out than any other one we have stayed in, with a deceptively large open plan area that was perfect and the bonus of a small ensuite. The Rep told us that the Vendee had just suffered from the wettest Spring/early Summer for years but - apparently the sun came out the day before we arrived and we enjoyed temperatures of around 30 for our entire stay.

Everyone we encountered from Eurocamp/Keycamp (they are now one company), were friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. The kids club staff deserve particular praise for their continual enthusiasm - our children grew very fond of them.

As others have stated the activities are second to none. Our family particularly enjoyed the archery, pony treking and night canoe (I was less enthusiastic about the latter as my husband failed to inform me that it was almost an hours canoe each way to St Gilles de Croix!).

The onsite restaurant was lovely, the beautiful presentation of the food tempted my children to eat all sorts of things they wouldn't usually touch! The bar, with it's safe, enclosed garden is a wonderful way to relax at the end of your day while still keeping an eye on the children.

All in all, the campsite is almost faultless. Most pitches give you a good degree of privacy, everything is clean, well maintained and designed. I can certainly understand why so many people return each year. However, it is a very flat, agricultural area and lacks the scenic drama of other French regions. Nevertheless, if you just want to spend the vast majority of you time in a campsite, you won't do better than La Garangeoire.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LesleyEM22
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed here for a week in August and had a fantastic stay. It more than met our expectations - beautiful woodland, great facilities and plenty to keep both adults and children happy.
We went with Keycamp, whose welcome staff were very helpful. Our caravan was clean and ideally located for the facilities and it was very quiet at night. The only negative was the Keycamp kids clubs - the staff seemed to have very little enthusiasm and did not seem to understand that a one year old does not always want to join in with everyone else - the coordinator got a bit shirty when my son tried to play with other toys in the tent. My five year old also came back disappointed when she was the only one who had not been face painted and we walked out of the 'disco' which was just awful. Luckily there was so much to do it didn't matter. The entertainment offered by the campsite was good fun, with decent kids discos, bouncy castles, quiz nights and a massive high walled garden behind the bar where the kids could run around whilst the parents relaxed. The pools were brilliant and kept immaculately clean.
The site has plenty of great places to visit all around it, including the lovely sandy Vendee beaches. Les Sable D'Olonne was lovely and Apremont had a castle and a fantastic lakeside beach with a kids play area.
Overall I can see why families keep returning here - its own website does not do it justice. We were sad to leave.

2  Thank JuJo73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Julien-des-Landes
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa ...
#2 of 29 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fontenelles
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fo...
#1 of 1 in L'Aiguillon-sur-Vie
Hotel les Embruns
Hotel les Embruns
#1 of 29 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Domaine de Brandois
Domaine de Brandois
#1 of 2 in La Mothe Achard
Ibis Styles Saint Gilles Croix de Vie
Ibis Styles Saint Gilles Croix d...
#1 of 5 in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
Hotel Thierry Drapeau
Hotel Thierry Drapeau
#1 of 1 in Saint-Sulpice-le-Verdon

Been to La Garangeoire? Share your experiences!