“Country Pub Retreat”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We always get a warm welcome from Geoff and his wife when we visit. They serve good quality pub food accompanied by good beer and choice of wines. The atmosphere is always warm and welcoming with conversations with the locals part of the experience. You can always guarantee a log fire in the colder nights, a warm welcome and some wholesome food.

1  Thank PeterG170453

Reviewed 5 August 2014

They serve very nice things for lunch here. With a nice pint of cider. Good service. Only a few minutes away from our holiday home.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My Wife and I visited the Old Horn last night for a meal as a birthday treat for myself and out of interest as my wife's ancestors once lived in the village. First impressions were of a cosy, atmospheric, typical village inn. We received a warm welcome from the landlord and were promptly shown to our table. The friendly, chatty waitress arrived with menus, told us about the specials board and came straight away when we were ready to order. The meals arrived promptly and were delicious, large portions, piping hot and full of flavour, my Wife opting for chicken breast while I went for the home cooked steak pie. For sweet we both had the raspberry meringue, withe really fresh raspberries, wonderful.

We enjoyed not only an excellent meal but also the cosy ambience of the Old Horn and as an added bonus, the landlord went out of his way to assist my Wife when she made enquiries about her family ancestors. With fast, friendly service, excellent food, extremely reasonable prices and a great atmosphere, we would unreservedly recommend this place to anyone who may be touring in the area, it's well worth hunting out.

1  Thank HEXHAMLAD2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked a table for two with my daughter for Fathers Day. Very friendly landlord Jeff, waitress very efficient and polite. I had the mix of beef and pork Sunday lunch (£8.95) which was served very promptly, was a good sized portion, plenty of veg nicely cooked. We both had the the raspberries with meringue with a raspberry coulis which was very well presented. Very good value and enjoyable. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellent food as usuall, very friendly village pub. Best meat pie in wensleydale. Can't beat the value for food and drinks.