“Fantastic week of luxury”

The Heritage Killenard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killenard
Manchester
“Fantastic week of luxury”
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I only found the hotel through reading Trip Advisor. It was my husbands birthday and our first visit to Ireland, understandably we wanted somewhere special. I'm so glad we took notice of all the possitive things said about the hotel or we may have made a big mistake and booked else where. I was aware it was a golf resort ( always good views) and a new complex (I usually prefer something more historical) however I was totally unprepared for the interior. After being met at the entrance by Aaron carrying an umbrella to shield me from the rain and Finbar taking care of the luggage, we were escorted into a large marbled reception hall with a sweeping staircase that took your breath away. A lounge of beige, ivory and golds with sumptuous sofas - what a room to have afternoon tea in. There are no less than six places to eat, the grand Arlington Restaurant (intimate candle light dinning), the Slieve Bloom (big sofa's again). In the golf complex which you can reach by an underground tunnel also taking you to the Spa, can be chilly as a previous report said, but preferable to getting wet walking out doors - are two more eateries. Two minutes walk away, still in complex Sol Oriens Italian cuisine and lastly The Thatch Irish pub, what a choice. The last place mentioned, if you don't feel like walking back after a drink or three, just phone reception and a golf buggy will take you back the short distance (laziness or what?) We stayed a week and everything we ate was delicious and beautifully presented, including room service. Oh, if there's nothing on the menu you feel like eating, just ask Doughie or Aileen what you would like to eat and if it is within reason you will get it - nothing is a problem. Our bedroom a superior 423, not over large but very acceptable with such a comfortable bed, view to die for and a bathroom all ladies will appreciate. If you want something larger/grander for a special weekend, go for a junior suite room 219, it's gorgeous (I had a peep). Don't be afraid to ask Sue or Ann on reception if any upgrades are available, I did and they really do their best to help. Many 5 star hotels may have opulence, fine wines, delicious food, clean well kept rooms and good staff but vert, very few will have ALL of these, the Heritage does. The staff put the welfare, happiness and comfort of their guests uppermost without the haughtiness you find in many 5 star establishments. Genuine friendliness is obvious throughout the staff and nothing is too much trouble, even information about touring Ireland (ask Tommy) if they can help they will. What a team. I would love to take this hotel with staff and place it anywhere in the world I wished to visit, at least then I would be assured of a relaxing, comfortable and well fed 5 star holiday. Go, just go and see for yourself.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mancunian2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Stayed with my husband for just one night last weekend. We were lucky to get a complimentary upgrade to a suite. The room was decadently furnished and really spacious, with a separate living area with couch, desk, table and chairs and even a toilet! The bed was comfy and faced a second TV. Bathroom was big. The room had a balcony that overlooked the first tee and also a cute antique looking couch inside that faced the first tee...a clever little touch.

We actually ate dinner in the Italian restaurant just outside the gates which was lovely, and had a drink in the golf club afterwards. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant the next morning. Again the room felt decadent and the food was great with a wide choice from a buffet or cooked to order from the menu. Was well impressed with the jug of homemade banana smoothie with the usual juices, hadn't seen that on offer at any hotel breakfast buffet before. It was yum!

A night was not enough and would love to return to try the spa. Definitely somewhere to go for a treat and if you fancy a bit of luxury, and not too far from Dublin.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 20 July 2008

Overall our 2day stay was a very enjoyable one. Our room was spacious and well laid out and the bathroom was fabulous - a separate walk in shower and beautiful free standing bath.
Staff were extremely friendly,welcoming and did everything to make this an enjoyable experience.
The spa was absolutely amazing, the best one Ive been at in ireland mostly due to the fabulous Heritage spa experience-do not miss this. Breakfasts both morning were top notch and we really enjoyed the 5course tasting menu.
On a personal level -where the Heritage is lacking is in location and setting -this seemingly purpose built hotel has no grounds as such although you can take a walk which broadly circles the golf course- and is surrounded by newly built houses which are a bit of an eyesore. For this price level I expected pleasant grounds to stroll in but realy its a bit of a concrete jungle !
If you are coming to stay in the Heritage purely for golf and spa and good quality food you wont be disappointed.

• Liked — Excellent service & amazing staff
  • Disliked — View from window & overall setting
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Got married here last year, and returned for a weekend with my wife, and we enjoyed every minute of it. The Heritage is a luxury break, you would certainly need your credit card, but believe me it's proper luxury. We stayed in a suite, which was out of this world, but I've also stayed in one of the houses and in the double room previously, all of which are lovely.

The staff were (without exception) always helpful and friendly, and they make you feel at home. We spent a few hours in the spa, and I couldn't think of a nicer way to relax, the staff in there were fantastic and went through all the spa experiences with us. I would totally recommend this hotel.

If there were any complaints; the pool isn't spectacular, which is a little disappointing in such a fab hotel, there should be a much bigger pool, but even at that there's always the gym or the spa or of course the golf to keep you busy. The bar staff were very slow, even though the bar wasn't cramped... but it's still worth every bit of a 5 star rating.

• Liked — The luxury!!!
  • Disliked — The pool.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed 1 July 2008

From the moment we arrived we were treated like vIP's. The staff were fantastic.My wife and I loved it and our 2 year old Sean loved it even more. He made instant friends with all the staff and Finbarr was his best friend:)The only minus and its not enough to drop the rating, was the leisure centre staff.obviously not as well trained in the arts of communication as the hotel staff and definately not as friendly but all in all this place is Fab with a capital F.Thanks to all especially Dougie,Finbar,Paul&Mauryc

• Liked — top class&so modern & clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sparkyd72
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I just wanted to add the the below review that my husband wrote about our wedding at this hotel... This Hotel is outstanding on any level of service that we have ever experienced in Hotels or Restaurants in the world!

As any woman can imagine beening a Bride comes with a certain amount of stress and pressure, well the Staff at the Heritage put me right a ease, they where just amazing! I have to say a hugh Thank you to David Hanniffy who was just amazing with helping us plan our perfect day, there was never any questions asked about any requests that we had.

Regards the spa which all the ladies used the day before the wedding, If was perfect just what we all needed to relax, the atmosphere was peaceful and so relaxed the treatments where 5 star & more and they made us all feel so welcome! Also there was about 20 of us using the spa on the day and all out appointments where on time and there was no feeling of been rushed.

The food on the day of the wedding was perfect all 158 of our guests are still talking about how good and how great the service was on the day and also the whole weekend.

This Hotel is a credit to the Irish Hospitality! Keep up the amazing service and stardards! I really can't even get across how super this hotel really is! The Staff at this Hotel made our wedding all the more special... and for this I thank The Heritage.

• Liked — The Staff, setting, Spa & the Hotel
  • Disliked — I loved it all - couldn't fault it
  • Stayed May 2008
Dublin
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We chose the Heritage as our wedding venue after viewing roughly another 10 venues. I honestly believe we were blessed with our choice because from our first meeting with David the events manager to leaving the hotel a few days after the wedding we did not experience one problem.
Firstly I must comment on how attentive and professional all the staff were during our preparation for the wedding and over the course of the 3 days we stayed for the wedding. A special mention and thanks to David , John , Dougie and Finbar for supplying the level of professionalism and hospitality that is rarely seen nowadays.

I had a large group of friends and family traveling from Scotland and to a person each and everyone of them commented at some stage over the weekend on how excellent the hotel was.

The facilities at the hotel are top class , I had the pleasure of playing the golf course twice and loved every moment of it.

Breakfast sent to room on Saturday morning was top class.

Stroll down a few hours before the wedding for a swim , sauna , jacuzzi was very relaxing ( just what I needed)

Ate in the Italian on site " Sol Oreins" on the Sunday evening with a group of 6 of us and all had an excellent meal
Followed by a few drinks in the Thatch Bar next door which had a great atmosphere.

All in all had a fabulous 3 day here and a dream wedding , not one complaint form any guest at the wedding or during their stay is an absolute credit to the staff of this hotel.
A special mention must be given to the head chef for the wedding , 150 meals and all satisfied is an incredible task but you done it.... Thanks

• Liked — The welcoming staff
  • Disliked — Leaving to go home
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killenard
The Killeshin Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to The Heritage Killenard? Share your experiences!