“Sheer luxury”

The Heritage Killenard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killenard
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Just back from a 2 night B&B with one evening meal package with my wife. This was our 2nd time staying here and it was every bit as good as the 1st (if not better). Initial impressions when checking in are of grandeur when you see the staircase and chandelier. And that impression lasted with us throughout the whole stay. Both times we've been lucky to get an upgrade to a Junior Suite (Thank you Sarah McAuley). These rooms really are huge with an extra separate toilet, lounge and dining area. I imaging the standard rooms are every bit as plush, just a bit smaller than the massive suites!
One of the things that makes this hotel stand out are the attitudes of the staff, nothing was too much bother. From the bar, restaurant staff to the staff at reception, concierge and the cleaning staff everyone was very accommodating. It wouldn't be fair to single out one person.
Other things to note are the free wifi throughout the hotel - no registering an email or anything. Your device connects to the wi-fi straight away. There are bikes to use free of charge, we asked about booking them and were told there's no need to. There are plenty of bikes available and the one's we used were brand spanking new. We cycled around Killenard for a while until the persistant rain encouraged us to return back to the hotel earlier than we had planned.
Although we were there as 2 adults there were plenty of children staying at the hotel. There's plenty of things for them to do with a cinema, games room, swimming pool, tennis etc. We might consider bringing our own kids next time round (but then again, we might not!).
Food at both the Arlington restaurant and Slieve Bloom bar was very enjoyable.
A wedding took place during our stay and I had read some reviews on Tripadvisor where people not attached to the wedding were made to feel unimportant. This was not the case at all and the staff' remained attentive to non wedding guests for the duration.
Another nice touch was a small cake in our room on arrival with the words Welcome Back piped in chocolate sauce. Can't fault anything about our stay and would recommend the hotel without any hesitation. I'm dying to try the golf course out next time and so will begin dropping subtle hints to my wife .....

Thank you Heritage.

Room Tip: The views overlooking the golf course are very nice
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Dear Mike_Lorie2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderfully complementary review from your recent stay at The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort.

I was thrilled to see your wife and yourself had such an enjoyable time during your stay and got to use many of the resorts amenities. I have passed on your lovely comments regarding our staff and we look forward to welcoming you both back again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

The whole family including my dad went for a break the kids had a great time they have a kids club for Halloween which they love great cinema with popcorn for them golf course and spa for the parents a pool for all great a choice in restaurant we will be going back again and again

Stayed: October 2013

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort.

I was delighted to see the whole family had such a thoroughly enjoyable time during your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed here for a wedding recently - everything was very good and absolutely no complaints there. Two of our party stayed in a 'twin room' and they felt it was more like a wheelchair accessible room - no stand alone bath like double rooms. So if requesting a twin, maybe check out the facilities in the room as they may be different to doubles.

Breakfast was excellent, with just about everything you could ask for, which it should be as it's 5 star and pricey at that.

Room Tip: beware of 'twin rooms'
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WestmeathPat

Dear WestmeathPat,

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your visit and the wedding you attended. We do have wheelchair accessible rooms and it sounds very possible your friends were allocated one of these rooms. Had we known this was not to their taste, then we have most definitely have moved them to a non adaptable room.

We hope to welcome you back to the resort again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed in August for three nights 2 adults and two children 13 and 11. Overall the hotel is lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff are amongst the most friendly I have encountered in quite a while. The rooms are spacious and clean and the nightly visit by staff with cookies and milk for the kids and turn down service is excellent. We used the swimming pool everyday and it was warm, clean and never busy. We did not eat in main restaurant but did in the bar and also Sols. Bar food was adequate but quite a dreary setting. Sols was just mediocre and staff were very slow in getting the food out. Now for a few small gripes - It is listed as five stars but I believe this is for the resort not the hotel. The hotel needs a touch of care, handles loose on drawers/cupboard. TV is very much old style and wallpaper starting to peel in rooms. (We had interconnecting rooms). Beds are a good size but quite firm and the pillows are very hard but this may be just a personal preference. There is a cinema in the hotel but it is not organised and believe firmly that it should be. It is just a case of first come first served to watch whatever you want. I can't understand why especially during summer months there is not a timetable for this great amenity. We would come back again as thought it was good value for money.

Room Tip: ask for view of golf course if possible these rooms appear to have balconies
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Paul T,

i was delighted to see you enjoyed the visit and overall found the resort to your liking. I have taken on-board your feedback regarding the handles and wallpaper in your room and passed this along to our maintenance department.

We have experimented in the past with film schedules in the cinema but unfortunately found that the viewers that attended invariably asked if they could choose a film they particularly wanted to see rather than the film we had selected. Hence the diplomatic selection process we now adhere to.

We hope yourself and your family return to stay with us again in the near future and we hope to continue to offer good value for money.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a 3 night break, it's my second visit and won't be my last. Really love this hotel, such a relaxing ambience. Staff are extremely
Friendly. I was fortunate to have fantastic suite, which was simply stunning.
Looking forward to my return visit later this year!

• Stayed: July 2014

PinkIreland,

I was delighted to see how much you loved your recent visit and we are delighted with the continued custom. I have passed along your kind comments to the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Having Stayed at several 5 star hotels in Ireland, I have to say this hotel is fantastic. Considering all amenities for kids from kids club to cinema to driving range all seems to be catered for, an idea maybe to have an early evening disco for children which we have experienced in one other hotel. Food from breakfast to dinner was fantastic and service also. Room was excellent. Robes were included for kids also, and milk and treats were kindly delivered to room every evening as well as turndown and treat for adults. We shall be back and shall tell all our friends also.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Kerrie C,

I was thrilled to see how much your family enjoyed their break with us and we look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We checked for an overnight stay in mid August so during the busy season. I dont want to knock the place but it just isn't top of the range 5*. Staff were lovely, dinner in the Sol Orien was gorgeous. Breakfast was "meh", hot buffet food was "over kept" in the hotplates and this was early. The pool area is like any town council pool in Ireland, the steam rooms are in each of the seperate changing rooms and if you're a couple you have to split up and have naked strangers beside you who must think its Sweden they're in. Our room was unfortunately dirty so we asked for it to be addressed, we were moved , which was fine but to a lesser room with a view of a stainless steel flue pipe and cowl. I think if its my hotel I'd give a better room, and I ain't a fussy guy but the"dirt" in the original room was old toothbrush on the floor and snotty tissues. I suppose I am knocking the Hertiage but it just isn't the best of the best. The team should maybe visit The Europe in Killarney, that's a damn good 5*. All in all I'd book a good 4* and treat herself with the savings. Hope this was helpful and not moany

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Niall O

Dear Niall O,

I was disappointed to see you had a mixed experience during your visit. I have taken on-board all of your feedback and have spoken to the departmental managers involved.

We hope your next visit will be a much better experience.

kind Regards
Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Killenard
The K Club
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise
The Keadeen Hotel
The Keadeen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newbridge

Been to The Heritage Killenard? Share your experiences!