“The Dolce Vita in Leafy Suburbia”
Review of Massimo

Massimo
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Bearsden
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The Dolce Vita in Leafy Suburbia”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have read a number of previous reviews and there are certainly a few stinkers in there , a recurring gripe being the noise levels . The trick is to try to avoid eating here on Fridays and Saturdays when the noise can indeed become deafening. The room itself is nothing special - a bit modern lounge meets lively bar. The low ceiling can only exacerbate noise levels .
But hold on , this is a five star review ( my first I believe , not a man given to effusive praise ) so why the negatives ? Well , nowhere is perfect so that's the negatives addressed - they are really not of great consequence in the overall scheme of things . Let's deal with the principal reason for visiting a restaurant - the food ! We visited on a Thursday night when the restaurant was half full , mainly with families. Service was very efficient and all servers were pleasant , attentive and engaged.
I ordered the Caprese salad to start .None of your tasteless, rubber mozzarella here - the proper buffalo version and a generous portion too .My wife positively wolfed down the bresaola which was again well proportioned. As a main I took the Italian sausage and porcini mushroom risotto , a large steaming plate , generously garnished with parmesan shavings and with the additional flavour enhancement of strategically placed balsamic scoring - wow , what a dish ! Flavours abounding , food piping hot and no parsimony of portion - nice one ! My wife was equally delighted with her prawn linguine which was very well presented and extremely flavoursome. We really shouldn't have taken dessert but we were on a roll so what better than that much vaunted Italian classic .............a slice of Caramel Shortcake and vanilla ice cream ! A nice wee fusion pudding !
In terms of drinks , I took my usual pint of Peroni , my wife a large glass of Merlot and we shared a 750 ml bottle of sparkling water .
Some folks have been moaning about the prices in this establishment and I am a man that likes to get plenty of bang for my buck .However , to have a three course meal of that quality, with drinks , combined with impeccable service and to have change out of £60 , isn't too bad at all in my book .
We have eaten here several times before and the food has been consistently to a very high standard - it has to be , as they have stern competition two miles up the road in Milngavie , in the shape of Andiamos.
We will continue to return , anticipating more excellent experiences.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jeb S

Diss, United Kingdom
“Late Lunch at Massimo”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have visited this restaurant on many occasions in the past and have never been disappointed, and we dropped in around 2.30pm in the afternoon without a reservation for a late lunch.
The restaurant wasn't very busy and we were shown to a table by a very well presented waiter. A waitress came over and took our drinks order and within a couple of minutes they were served to us.
We ordered penne with salmon and prawns and salmon and asparagus parcels in a creamy sauce, with a plate of alsiso foccatia bread. It was served very promptly, both dishes were hot and plentiful and very very tasty. The bread was also delicious, very light and very slightly crisped. There was so much on our plates that neither of us could manage a dessert and we settled for a cappuccino .
I would recommend a trip out here to anyone you should not be disappointed. Only down side, the foccatia bread was £6.00 and I felt that was somewhat overpriced even though it was fabulous.

• Visited August 2014
Steyning, United Kingdom
“Great food and service whether busy or quiet”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We ate here twice and both times the food was excellent. The second time we visited, the place was heaving yet the service was quick and efficient, and the food even better! It can be very noisy when busy so not good if you're hoping for a quiet romantic dinner - nevertheless, the atmosphere makes up for that!

Visited July 2014
Arundel, England, United Kingdom
“An Aladdin's Cave!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A well loved family run italian restaurant in Bearsden - very busy, but plenty of staff to ensure the service is very prompt. Great pizzas.

Visited July 2014
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Chose massimos for my birthday lunch as they have a beer garden and it was such a beautiful day. The food was delicious with the ravioli being particularly yummy. Well worth a visit x

• Visited July 2014