“Expensive..................”

The Grapevine
Price range: US$0 - US$32
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cozy restaurant located in the heart of Bothwell Village, specialises in good, quality Scottish fayre - fish, meats and game. Our kitchen team specialise in quality Scottish Produce to bring you a fantastic meal. Open for Coffee, Lunch, Afternoon Tea (coming soon) and Dinner. Comfortable lounge area for cocktails and wines.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visited your restaurant with friends after hearing good reports, how very disappointed we were. We all ordered a starter and main course. I had the scallops and black pudding 3 very very small scallops and one tiny piece of black pudding cost £8 expensive for what they were, my main course was monkfish with ox tongue, the monkfish was very over cooked and the ox tongue again was over cooked burnt on the edges, very crunchy and dry, my husband ordered the beef and got served 3 thin slithers of beef, he asked for another dish as this was not acceptable for the high price, he ordered a cheese burger, very salty and the hand cut chips were under cooked. We tried to give constructive feedback of all our meal but the waitress thought we were complaining and did not really listen to the feedback. The draught beer was warm, overall a very expensive meal for what you got served up, no wow factor, definitely will not return evan if I had a voucher, recommend spending your money elsewhere

2  Thank boetjie
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review our place...it is a shame when you dined that you never mentioned you were unhappy with the scallops and monkfish dish you had - they would have been replaced immediately...I always hate it when customers feel the need to complain on sites like this AFTER the fact - it means we cannot fix any issue you may have with us AT the time.

I do however remember you party dining with us and and among the 12 of you that dined I only remember 1 complaint....your husband complaining about the beef dish - being to small for the price. You only mentioned the '3 thin slithers of beef', yet you failed to mention the beef slices through the potato fondant - though to be fair, your husband point blank decided not to even try the dish so I guess he missed that! Oh and not to mention the ox tongue on the dish too....yet we replaced it without argument

As for the burger, salt is a personal taste, we make a large batch at a time (around 20 burgers) using fillet beef and not one other complaint....

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My mother, sister and I had visited the grapevine for an evening on an Itison voucher £14 for 2 meal deal.

Firstly, there was only two friendly waitresses serving and the place was quite busy. We then waited over 2 hours for our starters and main to be served, in which we had to send one steak back as it was over cooked. The waitresses tried to apologise for the delay and a complimentary desert was offered. Was disappointed and probably will not be back.

5  Thank Katmargpat
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

It was myself that served your table that day and I have to say this review is unjustified. Let me explain....

You and your mother ordered medium rare steaks - done, no problem! Your young sister then asked for a medium RARE steak without blood! Impossible!

Even medium steaks can come with some blood so I asked if she would like a medium well, explaining that a medium rare would DEFINITELY come with blood. She was so adamant that she didn't want any blood with her steak so the chef and I made the decision to make sure it was more medium well (what no blood means!).

This was then returned as it was deemed overcooked! So the chef proceeded to make a more medium steak which was sent out as quick as we could and your sister loved it! You all had a free dessert (even though I know we didn't do anything wrong!) and you all seemed to leave happy yet I receive this review! The returned steak was the only reason you were there for the lengh of time you were.

You asked for something that can't be done - we gave you what we thought you wanted but was not good enough. Replaced the dish as quick as we could, gave you free desserts and still got a rubbish review....enough said

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We visited last week using a itison voucher that was £14 for 2 courses for 2 people.

I had beef (something) to start with. It came with pesto/red cabbage? - it was very tender and very yummy! I then had duck breast that was very good too. My husband had a haddie broth and steak & chips. It was nicely done and both dishes very tasty and well cooked. We did have a supplement for the duck & steak but just a few £. We fished with coffee and a very nice sticky toffee pudding.

There was a nice atmosphere, quite a few people dining but not really busy. The staff were lovely and the looked after us well.

We have been to the grapevine a number of times but maybe not in the past year or so, we definitely will be back. Its one of the nicer meals ive had recently. They have 'small bites' and a 'set menu' too.

2  Thank GlasgowSiobhan
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Many thanks for your lovely review, we always LOVE getting them! We hope you visit again very soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Been going to the grapevine for a few years now, myself and family love eating out whether it’s a special occasion or a lunch grapevine caters for all.

I and my gran go out once a week for lunch and the food you cannot fault at the grapevine, fresh, local and delicious menus.

I get excited to see what is on the menu each time as the food is exquisite, the past two weeks we have went for lunch choosing from the market menu £14 2 courses, excellent price and very reasonable for Prosecco.

also dined with celebs which my gran thought was wonderful.

1  Thank Beth A
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Many thanks for your lovely review, it is always a pleasure to get great feedback for all our hard work that we all, as a team, put into the restaurant. It was fun for us too when we had a celebrity visitor! Look forward to your next visit :)

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Heard good reports so went along for a first visit.....BIG mistake. Seems things have slipped in the past few months. It was a special occasion so dressed in our finery, we headed out in anticipation of a special afternoon. In reality, our visit was anything but special.

On arrival the waitress showed us to our table with precision and speed, shame there was no chit chat or interaction. Simply went through the motions with the odd "sir" added for effect but it certainly did not add any finesse to the service. Glasses were grabbed off tables and all cleared without a tray....I had to remind myself I was in a restaurant and not a pub!
The place lacks atmosphere/ambience - bright lights, paper napkins, clipboard menus etc did not demonstrate any quality or attention to detail. The Watch This Space posters advertising Afternoon Tea....could have been typed by a 5 yr old....no image, no logo.....no inspiration and so, no thought given. We were subjected to the entire Johnny Cash album!! Not sure what the relevance was but the only plus point was hearing something more current blaring out of the kitchen! Clearly the chef has better taste in music but not sure guests should be able to hear both options!
Most importantly, the food. The 2 course lunch is very reasonable at £10 but I'd happily have paid more for better quality. I opted for the 6oz sirloin. The meat was tough, served with only 6 chips and some cress. Glad I ordered some sauce to make the meat more tender.
Dessert was much better quality and clearly home made. This was the only highlight.
Service was very slow, 2 hours for 2 courses. The table beside us waited ages for drinks and had to collect their drinks from the bar.
In the end, we couldn't wait to leave as the atmosphere was flat and by the end of the meal we were left disappointed and keen to escape. The bill was presented but again lacking any casual chat and no effort made to check if we enjoyed the meal. We left and nobody acknowledged this or said Bye.
Overall, a wasted afternoon, a wasted visit and most importantly, a waste of money. We eat out at least once a week but can honestly say that it's been a long time since I was so disappointed.
If you live locally and are looking for somewhere to eat....go elsewhere.

6  Thank Pabloh25
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write your essay on our restaurant. I always stress that I wish customers would complain at the time if they are unhappy with anything when they visit, then we can fix any problems.

I have read your review several times now and feel majority of the issue was that our restaurant was simply not to your taste rather than an actual complaint. You didn't like the Johnny Cash music - simply ask us to change it and it would be changed. Everyone has different taste in music and we have a wide range that you could have chose from if it bothered you that much. We are trying to be a modern restaurant and feel the clipboard menus suit that well, we don't like to be seen as 'stuffy and old fashioned' Commenting on the poster in the toilet, again personal choice, I like to keep things clean and simple and didn't think a logo was needed as you already know where you are dining.

As for the comments on the lighting and paper napkins - we use good quality napkins and as you dined during a rainy, dull day, we had the lighting up to brighten the place up. We are not trying to be a pretentious, up tight restaurant and prefer a a modern, relaxed dining experience with simple, well presented, good food.

It was a very busy day so I don't expect my serving staff to be too chatty when they have several other tables to serve. You said the service was fast and efficient - which is what I would expect my staff to be (and what I expect whenever I dine out myself) You were served by my supervisor that day who is always professional and courteous and I have no reason to think she treated you any differently than she would anyone else.

Since this was your first visit here I am not sure what exactly you were expecting - 2 courses for £10 (and has a steak on the menu) is great value! If your steak was tough, you should have sent it back and it would have been replaced immediately. We have never served only 6 chips, we use a small chip pot which we fill up to the top. You mentioned you were here for 2 hours which I couldn't understand as we always have a reasonably quick lunch service. So I checked all the checks for that day and from the check going into the kitchen to the bill being printed, the longest was for a table that ate 3 courses and the time was 1.5 hours....

We are trying to move away from the stuffy 'fine dining' image that many restaurants are tagged with. We simply hope to bring good quality food to our customers at a reasonable price. I am sure you can see by our latest reviews we are achieving what we have set out to do.

I will offer an apology for the steak, if it was tough, I wish you had sent back at the time. It would have been rectified straight away. If you were uncomfortable with anything else I wish you had said, we could have changed the music, dimmed the lights etc...