“good”

The Grapevine
Price range: US$0 - US$33
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cozy restaurant located in the heart of Bothwell Village, specialises in good, quality Scottish fayre - fish, meats and game. Our kitchen team specialise in quality Scottish Produce to bring you a fantastic meal. Open for Coffee, Lunch, Afternoon Tea (coming soon) and Dinner. Comfortable lounge area for cocktails and wines.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

went for 2 course meal on a voucher we purchased was not really to the same standard to what we have had before eating here ate out here several times and its usually fantastic this time good but not great fish overcooked starter of beef just ok
think they had an off night when we where in as seemed to be few people not happy

LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thanks for the review, glad you come back time and time again - we look forward to your next visit where we know you will love it!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Went for a
two course meal with itison voucher £14 instead of £28. It was honestly all that the meal was worth. The portions were tiny and the fish was over cooked. We were sat next to the kitchen door, not a pleasant experience with all the coming and goings. The restaurants biggest asset was their pleasant well mannered staff. Wouldn't return.

2  Thank stardust1073
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thanks for coming to our wee place, it is a shame you didn't enjoy it that much. We could have easily moved you if you didn't like your table, just wish you had asked! You complained about the portion size on tripadvisor but not to us - we could have fixed that if you only said! You say you liked the service and the well mannered staff but only gave 3/5 for that...if only you told us any issues at the time...all could have been rectified.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just like to say a huge thank you to all the staff and management at the Grapevine, for the wonderful service given on my sons Graduation lunch. Once again a pleasure to eat there as food magnificent and staff attentive. Would recommend to anyone.

LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Many thanks for choosing us for your son's graduation lunch - Congratulations to him from all of us at the Grapevine!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visited your restaurant with friends after hearing good reports, how very disappointed we were. We all ordered a starter and main course. I had the scallops and black pudding 3 very very small scallops and one tiny piece of black pudding cost £8 expensive for what they were, my main course was monkfish with ox tongue, the monkfish was very over cooked and the ox tongue again was over cooked burnt on the edges, very crunchy and dry, my husband ordered the beef and got served 3 thin slithers of beef, he asked for another dish as this was not acceptable for the high price, he ordered a cheese burger, very salty and the hand cut chips were under cooked. We tried to give constructive feedback of all our meal but the waitress thought we were complaining and did not really listen to the feedback. The draught beer was warm, overall a very expensive meal for what you got served up, no wow factor, definitely will not return evan if I had a voucher, recommend spending your money elsewhere

2  Thank boetjie
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review our place...it is a shame when you dined that you never mentioned you were unhappy with the scallops and monkfish dish you had - they would have been replaced immediately...I always hate it when customers feel the need to complain on sites like this AFTER the fact - it means we cannot fix any issue you may have with us AT the time.

I do however remember you party dining with us and and among the 12 of you that dined I only remember 1 complaint....your husband complaining about the beef dish - being to small for the price. You only mentioned the '3 thin slithers of beef', yet you failed to mention the beef slices through the potato fondant - though to be fair, your husband point blank decided not to even try the dish so I guess he missed that! Oh and not to mention the ox tongue on the dish too....yet we replaced it without argument

As for the burger, salt is a personal taste, we make a large batch at a time (around 20 burgers) using fillet beef and not one other complaint....

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My mother, sister and I had visited the grapevine for an evening on an Itison voucher £14 for 2 meal deal.

Firstly, there was only two friendly waitresses serving and the place was quite busy. We then waited over 2 hours for our starters and main to be served, in which we had to send one steak back as it was over cooked. The waitresses tried to apologise for the delay and a complimentary desert was offered. Was disappointed and probably will not be back.

5  Thank Katmargpat
LeaMcD, Owner at The Grapevine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

It was myself that served your table that day and I have to say this review is unjustified. Let me explain....

You and your mother ordered medium rare steaks - done, no problem! Your young sister then asked for a medium RARE steak without blood! Impossible!

Even medium steaks can come with some blood so I asked if she would like a medium well, explaining that a medium rare would DEFINITELY come with blood. She was so adamant that she didn't want any blood with her steak so the chef and I made the decision to make sure it was more medium well (what no blood means!).

This was then returned as it was deemed overcooked! So the chef proceeded to make a more medium steak which was sent out as quick as we could and your sister loved it! You all had a free dessert (even though I know we didn't do anything wrong!) and you all seemed to leave happy yet I receive this review! The returned steak was the only reason you were there for the lengh of time you were.

You asked for something that can't be done - we gave you what we thought you wanted but was not good enough. Replaced the dish as quick as we could, gave you free desserts and still got a rubbish review....enough said