“Could be so much better”
Review of Silverwells - CLOSED

Silverwells
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Glasgow
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I went for Sunday lunch with groupon steak and wine deal. Beautiful building, dining room is very clean, beautiful ceilings! however there were no other diners present which is never a good sign.
The 2 waitresses were very attentive and pleasant. Both myself and my wife asked for our steaks to be cooked medium rare both were well over done (from reading other reviews I wonder if the chef just prepares the opposite to what was requested) I said to the waitress our steaks were well overdone and to her credit she offered to take them away and have new ones prepared, we didn't want this as we had already started our meal. Other than the steak the main meal was tasty enough, we had the trio of deserts to share which were just OK and finished with coffee. Overall this could be a top notch restaurant just needs an injection of life and some TLC.

• Visited November 2013

Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Go to Riva or the Cricklewood Instead”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

After dining in Riva and the Cricklewood in Bothwell, we thought we'd try somewhere different. We probably should have been warned by the fact that we were the only people in the restaurant at 7pm. There was no atmosphere at all in the restaurant and the only member of staff we seen was one girl who met us at the door and served us. And i'm using "seen" lightly. We had to wait ages to ask her for the bill, and then after 20 minutes of waiting for her to come over with the card machine, my partner had to go and look for her.
I also felt like I was eating in the dark. They had dimmed the lights so low it was hard to see what you were putting into your mouth. I had the coq au vin which was average and my partner had duck which was fine. We both had the soup to start which was by far the best course, which gave us some hope, but any thoughts of a good meal were extinguished when we got our sticky toffee pudding. The sponge was hard, as if it had been sitting for ages and they heated it up in the microwave. We really should have sent it back.

The only reason i've not gave this a terrible is because the food was edible and the starter was good. But I would not recommended going here when there are so many better restaurants in Bothwell. We wont be returning.

• Visited September 2013
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Worst Steak Ever”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Visited yesterday evening on a voucher. 2 other couples left as we arrived-7.15-and we were the only customers for the rest of the evening-and I'm not surprised.The food was awful.We were given menus with no prices-only supplements!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must be a special menu for voucher users- £3 extra for prawn cocktail, £5 extra for rib-eye and £8 extra for sirloin; plus sauces (miniscule) and veggies werealso extra.
My chicken parfait was sprinkled with flakes of salt!?!Yuk.Inedible.The accompanying pear chutney was disgusting and the few leaves would have appreciated a little dressing. OH had the haggis bon bons-ok.
We chose to pay extra for the rib eye steak................OH asked for well done-it arrived oozing blood-sent back, and it must have been microwaved cos even the sauce jug was too hot to touch!However, it really wouldn't have mattered how it had been cooked as it was the worst,fatty, stringy piece of meat we have ever had the misfortune to be served. The waitress agreed and took the uneaten plates away and returned with the news that the chef was going to speak to the butcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Honestly! Front of house was extremely apologetic, and removed the £5 supplement from the bill-so 3 haggis bon bons only cost the £19 voucher? Ridiculous! Go to the Cricklewood , Riva or any other eaterie in Bothwell-give this one a massive body swerve!

• Visited October 2013
Bothwell, Scotland
“Great meal and great night out”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My wife and I went to Silverwells as it is local and a short walk.
The meal we had was excellent and great value too. The staff were very attentive and helpful and we ended up staying the whole evening and enjoying the entertainment (provided by a young man and his guitar).
We had a few cocktails which were very good and I'm still perplexed as to why I continue to see negative reviews for the place - it certainly hasn't been my experience this time or in the past.

• Visited October 2013
“Worst experience ever!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Went for "lunch" on Saturday. Three adults and a two year old. Had to ask if they were serving food. Had to ask for a kids menu. The waitress didn't have a clue how the kids menu worked so more waiting (£10 for a 3 course kids meal is way over the top). Finally ordered. Left 45 mminutes later still with nothing to eat. We were ignored from start to finish! The excuse we were given was "there's only one person on"! How many chefs do you need to feed 4 people! Didn't even give us our drinks on the house! Don't go if you actually want to eat!

• Visited September 2013