All reviewslocal pubthe main houseparsnip placelettuce lodgerutland waterpennewonderful hostswell equipped kitchenexcellent accommodationb and bperfect locationdouble roomcomfortable bedsshort walkbreakfast was deliciouswonderful staylovely break
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a two night break so we could bike around Rutland water, perfect location to do this and only a short walk to a great pub the horse and jockey. We stayed in Fennel Folly which was small, I knew this as I had read it on other reviews. We found it very strange there were no hand soap to wash your hands in the bathroom and no welcome tea and coffee which we though was standard as we have stayed in many cottages and Fennel folly was the first not to do this. This cottage is very tired and needs a bit of updating, especially the bathroom and kitchen. When it was time for us to leave we looked around for Charlie (the son as Sally was on holiday), to pay our balance for the weekend, nobody was to be found anywhere, so was going to ring and pay balance when we arrived back home, but already had an email from Sally saying she had taken the balance out of the account which I payed the deposit!! Lucky I was paying out of this account and not another :(

Room Tip: Sounds like people staying in the b & b have a better experience than those staying in the cottages.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BroccoliBottom, Owner at Broccoli Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Oh dear....it sounds like Fennel Folly wasn't for you. Just to clarify to prospective clients re your payment.....my son asked for payment on arrival, as we do with all guests. Most self catering properties are paid for in full 6 to 8 weeks prior to arrival. We find it easier all round to collect the balance on arrival and we bring this to guests attention when they book, as we did with you. I arranged an early check in for you and my son requested once you had settled in to pop down and settle up. You didn't. On your day of departure my son was on site and my housekeeper was in our kitchen awaiting to clean Fennel. On seeing you heading up the drive, my son called you and left a voicemail. It was not returned. My housekeeper did not hear you come over and if you did, why didn't you ring the bell, try to ring us by phone or leave a note to say you would call when home to pay, instead of just leaving the premises. No one has ever done this before and I believe I did as all owners would, use the card details left as security when paying the deposit.
Although away on holiday myself, I am in constant contact with home and indeed answered a couple of emails sent from your iPhone the day prior to your arrival. Knowing you have an iPhone I emailed you at 20:22 on your day of departure to say I had taken the money. I had waited all day to hear from you giving you the benefit of the doubt that you had simply forgotten to pay. However, on reading your review, it is clear that you knew you had not paid and thought it was perfectly reasonable to disappear without a word.
We are bemused that you think Fennel Folly is tired. It has had a new bathroom and was decorated throughout in February this year.
With regard to the soap and welcome tea and coffee, we thank you for your comments and will be taking this up in the very near future.
Apologies for the lengthy reply, but it is only fair that future prospective guests hear both sides.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My partner and I have just spent a lovely weekend here. The weather helped but even in the rain I think we would have enjoyed staying here.
Sally was attentive when we needed her and left us well alone when we wished it.
The room was extremely comfortable, and the breakfast first rate.
Broccoli Bottom happens to be in one of the most beautiful parts of England, but it would be good enough to visit no matter where it was.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house, but the holiday "cottages" looked good too
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BroccoliBottom, Owner at Broccoli Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

My husband is just widening the doors to get my head through!! How lovely to be called a charming hostess. Thank you so much for your kind comments, all very much appreciated. Hopefully you will come and stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Spent the weekend here with our son and his wife and dog Jake..Wonderful weather and excellent accomodation.Sally shared our love of plants and the countryside.Excellent breakfast and delightful location. Hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BroccoliBottom, Owner at Broccoli Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

You are a lovely family and we thoroughly enjoyed having you as guests! Thank you for the lovely hand painted card and of course the bulbs, which have arrived safely. I shall be finding a home for them over the next week! We hope you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We visited Sally at Broccoli over the recent holiday weekend. From the welcome that we recieved on arrival and on through our two nights, Sally was the perfect host. Our room was clean and confortable, with plenty of hot water for showers.
Sally's breakfast was plentiful and cooked freshly to order.
One final point to mention is that dogs are very welcome and not just tolerated.

1  Thank Rupert_The_Dog

Thank you for your very kind comments and taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased you enjoyed Broccoli Botttom and the smallest county of Rutland.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Enjoyed a lovely bank holiday stay at Broccoli. We were a party of 11 and everyone enjoyed the break. Our accommodation ranged from cottages for 2 up to 4 people. All were different and had lots of character. Host Sally was welcoming and good fun. The setting is beautiful and only a short walk to the pub which was great too.

A few minor points - a designated dog walk/area would be useful. A few items were missing in the cottages e.g. bread knife in one and not enough mugs for the number of people in another. A few more outside lights would be useful too.

Highly recommended accommodation and we will be back for sure!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
BroccoliBottom, Owner at Broccoli Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Broccoli Bottom........and our local pub! We would be delighted to welcome you back.

With regard to missing items, I will of course check the inventories, but we do ask guests to check if anything is missing and we will do our best to replace them immediately.

With regard to dog walking, then there is a public footpath which runs down behind Broccoli and takes you over the fields to the next village of Wing. Perhaps you can explore this next time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for recommending us to others.