“Good pub for Rutland Water”
Review of Horse and Jockey

Horse and Jockey
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Manton
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Horse and Jockey is an award winning privately owned freehouse located in the idyllic village of Manton on the south shore of Rutland Water.The recently refurbished Horse and Jockey offers all the charm and character of a traditional country inn.The open fires, stone floors and low beams along with good wholesome locally sourced home cooked food and a wide choice of fine wines and real ales will ensure that your visit will be a memorable occasion just waiting to be recaptured.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good quality / value pub food without being 'gastro'. Staff were friendly. There aren't many tables inside and it can get busy at peak lunch time (there was a table next to us that had been reserved so this might be worth doing). There are also plenty of tables outside if the weather is fine. Very close to the Lyndon Visitor Centre on the south side of Rutland Water.

Jason A, Owner at Horse and Jockey, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have visited this pub twice now for lunch. The food is good, the fish and chips were certainly plentiful as well as the scampi and chips that my friend had. However, the steak pie was a little dry, but did come with a jug of gravy to complement it. We would visit again as the food represents good value.

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Horse and Jockey. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful village and setting. Friendly pub with great food will definitely go back. Home cooked dishes thoroughly enjoyed itv

Jason A, Owner at Horse and Jockey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent visit to The Horse and Jockey and we hope we can welcome you back in the future. Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Set on the beauiful cycle route around rutland water this pub is a true delight. Theres bicycle bays and an ample car park and as i arrived there was already a friendly buzz as locals and tourists alike enjoyed the sunshine and menu. I went for the black pudding fritters which were amazing and some gorgeous homemade pate. The service is super friendly and my food arrived in perfect time for to enjoy a quick chat with the owner who was a true gent! If you're in the Rutland head for the Horse and Jockey - you won't be disappointed!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Horse and Jockey and your kind comments. As always I will pass these onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Rutland and The Horse and Jockey in the near future. Kind regards Jason

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I ventured here as part of a bike ride round Rutland water and have to say the pub looks great and is an ideal location. Service on the other hand was a bit poor, we ordered food and upon delivery had some onion rings missing. The waiter apologised and came back a few minutes later to say they were not on the ticket, I asked if he could get us some and he agreed and also mentioned this would be free of charge as it was their error. i accepted this as these things happen. 20 minutes later the waiter came back a little embarresed and said the kitchen had decided against giving us the onion rings in the end, I just laughed.
We were planning of going there that evening but as you would expect, decided against.
Behind the bar was also a bit of a health and safety disaster awaiting to happen, two members of staff were serving a busy bar whilst another member was bottling up, not a problem apart from the bar floor had been lifted and was essentially just a huge hole, how the staff did not fall down I will never know.

Jason A, Owner at Horse and Jockey, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on your recent visit to The Horse and Jockey. I am pleased that you liked our location and the pub itself. I am obviously very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in terms of service as it is our aim even at very busy times not only to meet but exceed our customers expectations where ever possible. We do take all feedback on board and to the best of my ability after the event I have investigated the matter. My understanding is that the onion rings were omitted from the order at point of placing, if that was our error I can only apologise. These were not processed through out POS or paid for therefore no order was processed to the kitchen. There would appear to have been a breakdown in communication with one of our junior part time members of staff and again I can only apologise for this and assure you that retraining will take place with the member concerned. You would have certainly been welcome to a portion of onion rings.
As you will be aware we are a 17th century village pub which adds to its charm however we work within the constraints of our facilities. The large hole which you refer to behind the bar is in fact our cellar hatch which has been there for many many years due to the proximity of the cellar. I can assure you that we do take health and safety very seriously and do have risk assessments, training and procedures in place to reflect best working practices.
I am disappointed that on this occasion you felt that you could give us a score of 1, however hope I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Horse and Jockey in the future to change your opinion.