“Hot Chillies, Cool Afternoon Out” 4 of 5 bubbles

Edible Ornamentals
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Chawston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We began selling chilli pepper plants in 2001. The plants, and later pickles and sauces, gained very favorable attention and in 2007 we purchased Cherwood Nursery in Chawston which we renovated. Known for its 'Pick Your Own' chilli tunnel which is open to the public, the nursery has become the destination of choice for European hot pepper enthusiasts. In addition to fresh retail and wholesale chillies we also produce a selection of gourmet sauces, spice rubs, dried, smoked, frozen, and pickled chillies processed onsite in a 5 'Stars On The Doors' production kitchen. We also 'grow-to-order' for many other European hot sauce producers, restaurants, farm shops, delicatessens, and distinguished retailers such as Harrods and Fortnum and Mason. We host tours and workshops. Our chilli sauces are available from the nursery and local Waitrose stores. Edible Ornamentals has featured in the national daily press, The Economist and leading national trade publications The Grocer and Fresh Produce Journal. Joanna featured as a chilli expert on BBC's 3 Counties Radio, Radio 2's 'Chris Evans Show', and Radio 4's 'You and Yours' and has appeared in many TV programmes including Ready Steady Cook, Economy Gastronomy, Market Kitchen, Countrywise, Gordon Ramsay's 'Ultimate Cookery Course', 'The Hairy Bikers' and ITV's 'Sunday Brunch'. Heston Blumenthol visited and filmed an episode of his Channel 4 series "Great British Food" which featured Shawn and Heston eating a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, hottest chilli in the world at that time. Edible Ornamentals won an extremely prestigious "Grower Of The Year Award" at the annual Horticultural Weekly sponsored event in 2011. That same year we were crowned "Best Chilli Grower UK" at the Fiery Foods Festival in Brighton. We were also named 'Local Food Hero' for East Anglia by the Good Food Channel's Market Kitchen and in 2015 awarded an extremely prestigious TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
London, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Hot Chillies, Cool Afternoon Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I got given the gift of a voucher for a tasting for two - now I wouldn't normally have picked this out of the long list of tastings for two I could have used the voucher for, but it was a gift so I was happy to take a risk, and I'm really pleased I did. I got introduced to a whole new sub-culture of horticulture I didn't know existed, being as I am the kind of person to whom a chilli is a chilli but the talk and the following tour of the poly tunnels was perfectly pitched for someone with a general interest in new things like myself, and also for the more erudite chilli heads in the group who added their own observations and experiences to the mix. We ate in the cafe before hand. The food was lovely, fresh, tasty, featuring chilli with and in virtually everything as you can imagine. Service though was decidedly disorganised - we were told at one point that there was no record of our order and invited to order again, but maybe it was a technical glitch with the electronic tablets the (very young and inexperienced and charming) floor staff were using to take orders. Also, they have very limited opening hours, so if you are doing the afternoon tour/tasting, allow yourself time to sample a couple of courses before as there won't be time afterwards. The owners are very hands on which added to the atmosphere - they clearly have a great passion and care for their visitors and have worked really hard to grow the business, it's a matter of personal pride and it shows in the details. Another plus is they didn't go for the hard sell during or after the tasting bit of the event - they were simply satisfied to share their love. Intend to return.

Milton Keynes
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant and Educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great morning, gave us a fascinating insight into chilli's how many varieties there are and how hot they can be! The guided tour was brilliant, got to pick some chilli's met the cats. The welcome was friendly with a free cuppa to get us going. The cafe is clean the food was good. We left with a good many jars of chilli produce. We will definitely go back later in the year to do some more pyo.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun and Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have been visiting Edible Ornamentals for a while and remember when it was just a couple of big greenhouses and a small shop.

Recently they have really expanded - no doubt due to their success! And there are now more attractions including a great cafe for chilli hot chocolate and a chilli chocolate muffin (also selling hot food)!

Very reasonably priced products are available in the chilli shop including sauces and chutneys and gift ideas. It's a great place to learn more as the staff / owners are so knowledgeable and extremely friendly.

I would personally recommend finding the specific chilli you love the taste of then buying the plant as chances are you won't find it anywhere else!

Visited April 2014
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic! 10/10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

As a big fan of chilli's and cooking this was the perfect gift for me. The staff were very knowledgeable and helpful. The guided tour was brilliant and the cooking was at a pace that was very relaxed. There was no pressure to rush anything even though I only had a couple of hours here everything was well organized.

The taste testing of different chilli's and relishes was great!

I loved this place and will be back soon to purchase some of your plants, I will definitely be telling my friends and family. I think if you ever expand to a full cooking day with tour etc... I will be booking my place on this :) thanks again Cameron

Bedfordshire, England
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Unusual Attraction.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Interesting place. Knowledgeable people. I guess you have to be VERY interested in chillies to pay £35 for a tour that is not well-described.
Cafe is OK, although the service was a bit slow and my meal (very tasty Mexican Breakfast) could have been warmer. I'm sure they will get that right once the cafe has been running for a while.
Worth a visit if you are in the area, or interested in chillies or fancy a "different" meal.