“Lovely Family Pension with an Expansive View...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nikoletta Geronti Pension

Nikoletta Geronti Pension
Ranked #2 of 8 Apollonia B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely Family Pension with an Expansive View...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Sifnos was our final stop on our island hopping holiday in July 2012, upon arrival at the port we had to get a taxi to Ano Petali (Appollonia), the taxi cost around €9 or so. Upon arrival we were taken to our room, and some minutes later Mrs. Geronti scuttled along with a tray of cakes and juice to welcome us, which was nice.

The room was nice, clean and spacious. The only downside was the abundance of mosquitoes in our room (apparently there's a lot of them in and around Sifnos), i think we counted 40 or so in our room, this was soon remedied by a can of teza from the local shop. The rooms have a kind of open, shared balcony with a very good view out across Apollonia that you can enjoy. The air con is very effiecient, got the room cold very quickly.

To get into town for either the bus to the beaches or to wander around time involved a hike of around 157 steps (we did actually count them at one time but I've now forgotten the exact number), bear in mind this does takes some doing but it is fun, not with two suitcases in hand though!

All beaches require a bus ride to get to them, bus fare is relatively cheap and the buses run every hour to the main ones. We preferred the beach at the port (Kamares) as it was long and the sea was shallow, also there was a stunning gyros place there which served very large beers too and gyros' at around €2 each!

The main town near Geronti Pension was down the many stairs and through a very small alley that deceptively hid the winding streets of Apollonia. There are plenty of bars in the area yet we found the restaurants to be a bit of a disappointment. There is a very nice bakery just down from the pension, that serves a wide variety of different savory and sweet pastries and cakes.

One highlight of our holiday was my girlfriends birthday when the Geronti family bought a fruit sponge cake and a bottle of white wine, as well as a card, and put it out onto the terrace with candles; this was a nice touch and thoroughly appreciated.

Overall, this was a nice accommodation in a nice part of Sifnos, if we ever go back to the island we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lholt08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
Hermoupolis, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I experienced authentic hospitality, i felt being a member of "Geronti's family" for a few days in "Ano Petali" which is located next to Apollonia village in Sifnos island, Cyclades, Greece. The island is amazing and the people are so lovely. Amazing terrace view to the village of Apolonia and the Aegean Sea. The light, the architecture, the sea, the magic is all around you. I had the chance to be present and share these moments with friends i like to visit again soon...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TakisParos
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I did a great deal of desktop research on where to stay in Apollonia. I knew the island's beach locations quite well, but had never stayed in Apollonia/Ano Petali and had only a vague memory of how they both connected to Artemonas. I wanted a five location holiday and each location had to provide the best Sifnos experience. Geronti Pension was 5 star and I want to tell you why you should consider staying there.
Nikoletta is a warm and generous host and she has created two delightfully detailed apartments in local Sifnos stone below her own house, with carefully chosen furniture and pictures and local ceramics. Mine had an inviting double bed with mosquito net canopy, which was not necessary as there were few that I let in! The main room was generously proportioned with adequate space for clothes and storage and everything had been chosen, with Nikoletta's eye for detail.
Nikoletta was the only place I stayed which provided breakfast and I was presented at 8.30 each morning with coffee, juice, home-made bread, tasty home made jam and fresh fruit in season from her own garden. She varies what is on your tray, but it was a simply perfect start.
The Geronti family, with Nikoletta's mother Irini and sister Flora have apartments which cater for everyone and are all facing the most extraordinarily beautiful view of Apollonia and Kato Petali http://bit.ly/O4SfGm with the sun rising over the sea and the views are panoramic. I include an image so you can see for yourself what you can see when sitting on one of the two chairs.
I found Nikoletta very patient in answering my numerous cultural questions about life in general on the island and we had some enlightening conversations, which informed my view of Sifnos with firt hand knowledge, rather than perceptions.
Nikoletta was graceful and charming and so was her teenage daughter Irini (1st daughter named after the grandmother) who I met and spoke to briefly one evening.
Nikoletta's husband is a local taxi driver, which could be useful to know.

Location and access from Apollonia square is either by the main road, which runs to Artemonas (rather steep drive to apartments) or as I quickly discovered is via the stairway of the house above, which leads onto the pedestrian path between Apollonia and Artemonas (not suitable for pushchair's as there are many shallow steps) but this path is a real thoroughfare of village life between Artemonas, Ano Petali and Apollonia and I always used it in preference to the road access as I walked everywhere.

In summary, I would say that Geronti Pension is perfectly located to enjoy the summer season's local nightlife, with shops, restaurants and social buzz on Apollonia's 'Steno' (narrow street) in the late evening and is close to Apollonia square which provides a central hub to access almost all the local bus services operating to the beach locations on the island. However turn right and you can access Artemonas too, which is a lovely old village to the east of Apollonia. A delightful stay and something of a highlight in my 5-location stay, so I plan to return soon without any hesitation!

Room Tip: Both of Nikoletta's rooms are identical (see image) If you wish to accommodate more than two peo...