“Great view but terrible management and service.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Blanca Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tutu
Villa Blanca Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Tutu B&B and Inns
Cary, NC
“Great view but terrible management and service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Positives: Great view of the bay and cruise ships. Room was large. Quiet.
Negatives: Not convenient to transportation. Located on top of hill. Nothing within walking distance. Owner started out as friendly but extremely disorganized and not professional. Had lost our reservation, took forever to check in, no continental breakfast as advertised. Charged us double and it took 3 phone calls to get it rectified.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Bruce C

Norwalk, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at Villa Blanca after finding it in the good value section of a Fodor's Travel Guide. What a mistake! The place was extremely run down which I could get over, but worse, it was just filthy dirty. The tile floors didn't look like they'd been mopped in a while, the cups and plates in our room had old food caked on them. There was a teflon fry pan with barely any teflon left on it. There was no jug for making hot water. There was no ice, or ice maker and the bedding was old and very dirty looking.
The hostess, Blanca, was pleasant to converse with and the views were stunning, but for the price, I think we could have found a youth hostel that was cleaner!

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank tri g

Travellers are raving about these Tutu hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

The travel magazines, in their articles about St Thomas, always seem to overlook the quaint, beautiful hotels that are not well-known names. Villa Blanca is old-school Caribbean. The owner, Blanca, lives on site and gives you personal attention from the moment you arrive. She makes sure you have a bag of fresh, hot bagels hanging on your door each morning, complete with butter, jam, and in-room coffee and tea. WiFi is only in the office, as of our last trip, and you will need to use your cell phone, as phone svc. on the top of the hill is spotty.
The views from Villa Blanca are overlooking the harbor, so you can see the lights come on at night and watch the city go to sleep and come to life each morning. The only view this nice is at Point Pleasant, but the wonderful thing about Villa Blanca is that you do not have to climb a mtn. or walk a great ways to get to your room from your car. The car parking is right there. The rooms are very clean, the little pool is very refreshing and has a deck to sun on, and the grounds are large enough you can just wander around. There are roaming chickens, beautiful plants and flowers, and the hotel just hangs off the mtn. My favorite thing about the rooms is that there are wrought-iron security gates, that can be locked, enabling you to sleep peacefully and securely while leaving your sliding balcony door open. The breeze is so nice, sometimes you need a cover at night.

Villa Blanca is not a fancy, large hotel, but it is a great place for a good night's sleep. I have a horrible time sleeping, and here, I sleep like a log. As a woman traveling alone, I felt quite safe there, even though it is just above town, and it is not on the beach. You can be at the movies, Havensight shopping area, or at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove in only a few mins. To downtown, it is ten mins., tops. Directly across the street, maybe a block, is Randy's a very nice Italian restaurant, with great salads and excellent service. Excellent service is something that is rare in eateries on the island. Robert, a long-time server at Randy's, is the best. Let him guide you on what to eat. Also across from Villa Blanca is a wonderful art gallery, (also second one in Yacht Haven Grande shops, just 5 mins from the hotel), called Mango Tango and owned by Jane, another lady you need to meet and a great person to buy art from. Her shops often have art events, well worth going to.

Last but not least, Villa Blanca is reasonable, even in high season. There is no price gouging or add-on fees. You have very basic cable, and you will need a car or have to take taxis to get around. If you want the giant, impersonal high rises or name hotels with all the bells and whistles, or oceanfront, then this one is not for you. If you want to stay in a lovely, very Caribbean hotel with only about 14 rooms, this is the one for you. It is perfect for business or leisure, and there is a large "gathering" area, a big patio, where you could have a bunch of relatives or friends meet. There is also a cabin or two, suitable for family groups. Blanca has had many wedding gropus take over the hotel, and it is a perfect setting for a hotel. The bookstore and several grocery stores are nearby, as is Home Depot. Each room has a small refrigerator and a two-burner stove top or hot plate, usually with a toaster, as well. All you need is groceries. For a budget trip to St. Thomas, this is the perfect hotel, if you want to stay in a hotel, rather than a private apt. It is more like an Inn or a B&B. Ask for the corner room, farthest to the right, upstairs, if it is available. Definitely stay on the upper floor, as the rooms are nicer. By the way, ten people could fit into the showers in the two rooms we have stayed in. Baths are huge. Tell Blanca if you need a frim mattress or a softer mattress, as she has both. Enjoy.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank robbielane
st. croix virgin islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

The owner was nice but the room was not worth it. It could have been cleaner and a few of the window winders did not work. The ac unit was small my husband daughters and myself had a small cottage. One tiny ac unit cannot cool down an entire cottage. The blinds were old and did not work. The maid and the groundskeeper were very hospitable the grounds keeper brought genips a local fruit to our room that was a nice gesture. The pool and the grounds were nice the view spectacular. I guess that is what we paid for. I was quoted one price and was charged another price because I used my visa card I should have been told there would be a charge for using my credit card I could have saved about 40 something dollars.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2009

We spent one night here on our way to St. John and found the accommodations, the property, the VIEW, and the hostess (Blanca) above and way beyond our expectations:
Especially after reading the preceeding review. We requested a honeymoon suite with a nice view and were assigned to room 6. It was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in; with a beautiful and very comfortable four-poster bed, very nice tiled shower, stocked kitchenette (with china cups and plates, not plastic) a lovely pool and patio and a private balcony overlooking Charlotte Amalie. Blanca even sent us warm bagels in a linen-lined basket for breakfast. First-class all the way!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank linward
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

I stayed here because my sister in laws wedding was on st Thomas and she had picked this place. In all honesty the price looked great and the pictures online looked amazing. Unfortunately the views from the hotel were about the only good thing about this place. On the first night, my sister in law found a cockroach in her refrigerator. She mentioned it to Blanca, the hotel manager, who responded by saying "Villa Blanca does not have cockroaches, it must have come in your luggage." Honestly, even if it did stow away from Philly to st Thomas, you don't blame the customer! The next morning my wife went to get some of the continental breakfast advertised. Not only was there no breakfast, but there wasnt even any drip coffee. When we questioned Blanca, she said "If you wanted breakfast, you should have told me earlier so I could make it for you." and with regards to the coffee.. we got, "There is instant coffee in the rooms, do you need me to come up and make it for you?"

Oh and if you plan on actually doing anything while staying here, I'd recommend renting a car or you will be paying a fortune in taxi fares. This hotel is far away from everything except for one overpriced Italian restaurant. And even walking to that place is risking your life as there is a major road you have to cross on a blind curve.

Basically the location of the hotel plus the ignorant attitude of the hotel owner made almost everyone in the wedding party switch hotels to the green Iguana, which I heard was really nice. I stayed the remainder of my 4 day stay because it was my cheapest option. I probably will never return to St Thomas on a whole thanks to this experience.

• Liked — Great view of the island.
  • Disliked — it is very far from everything and the hotel owner was ignorant.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Edzig
columbus.ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at Villa Blanca last week when we were visiting St Thomas. We made a reservation for 3 nights but only ended up staying for 1 night. When I made our reservation I spoke directly to Blanca and she was very nice and friendly to me. She gave us a honeymoon package rate for our stay and put us in her nicest room. When we arrived the grounds were run down and pretty much overgrown. Our room did have a fantastic view or the harbor. The room was fairly clean but could have been cleaner. The rug was very dirty and the bathroom was clean but not nice. The bed was very uncomfortable and I had a spring poking me in the back. The next morning we dedcided to check out of the room and when we told Blanca she was not nice about it. She decided to charge us the full charge for the room instead of the "honeymoon rate".

• Liked — View of Harbor
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
3 Thank muskiemom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tutu
Windward Passage Hotel
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Villa Blanca Hotel? Share your experiences!