“Great Location and Great Service”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Secret Harbour. The hotel was an ideal location for a beach getaway. Upon my arrival, I was greeted warmly by the Front Desk staff. Julia and the team were very accomodating and always greeted me when I walked through the lobby.
I found my room to be spacious and the balcony was my favorite spot to watch the beach at sunrise and sunset. I stayed in one of the accesible rooms, which were incredibly easy for beach access and very quiet.
The Blue Moon served exceptional food, and the staff was very prompt with service. The grilled Mahi sandwich was so delicious I ordered it twice! I preferred a diiferent drink than was on the menu and the bartender remembered days later when I ordered it again. Bernadine and Miranda were a few of the servers I remembered to be extremely pleasant and gave great service.
I spent most of my time lounging around the beach. There were plenty of chairs available and a lot of space to spread out. The beach was exquisitely beautiful with great views. The Dive shop on site was staffed with knowledgable and friendly people. Diane and Brian were a few who made me feel welcome. I tried snorkeling and scuba a few times, which was incredibly fun.
It was very easy to catch a cab for supplies or to see the sights. Stanley's sunflower Taxi is modestly priced and he also gives island tours.
I would definitely return to stay at the Secret Harbour, and would recommend it to friends as an amazing getaway spot. It is close to the bustling downtown area but hidden away in a beautiful secluded spot.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
23  Thank lippykate
There are newer reviews for Secret Harbour Beach Resort

Reviewed 2 May 2011

My wife and I immensely enjoyed our stay at Secret Harbour. We had a beachfront one-bedroom suite, which looked identical to the interior photo on their website, so we were very pleased. The view from our balcony simply cannot be beat. We felt like we had the beach practically to ourselves everyday. Palm trees throughout the beach give the perfect opportunity for either sun or shade and several hammocks tied to trees gave guests another quintessential island relaxation option. Snorkeling was excellent in the waters around the resort. Although we did not stop there for dinner, the Blue Moon cafe was our first stop each day for a morning breakfast as we overlooked the water. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The only con was the fact that our room had no telephone service for the duration of our stay, but we were compensated with free internet access. Be aware of and make sure to visit the dive center. They have many snacks, beverages and souvenirs that we wish we discovered sooner. Could have saved us from hunting down a local market. We feel we made the ideal choice in staying at Secret Harbour. It's amenities and location were perfect

Room Tip: We loved the higher floor for the overall views.
20  Thank BHCB123
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Beautiful place, great food, but bedbugs are everywhere in hotels on this island. Beware! I am covered in bites and will have to throw out suitcases and steam everything before I bring it in the house. This is the most boring place on earth I have ever visited

4  Thank Sarah1957
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Loved having a studio right on the beach with a kitchen. GREAT beach. Clean. Will go back there as soon as I visit a few other 'Bucket List' vacations and perhaps buy a unit.

Room Tip: It's so personal, just ask the staff
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
15  Thank Gideyup
Reviewed 16 April 2011

When we checked into Secret Harbor my friends and I were upgraded to a one-bedroom beachfront room in building 3 that was just gorgeous. It was nicely appointed with a beautiful kitchen and bathroom, but the best part was the deck with a gate that lead right to the beach. We made friends with the iguanas and chameleons living around the beach area. We could walk to the beachfront grill and restaurant, which had friendly service and excellent food. I especially enjoyed the portabella mushroom entree at The Blue Moon Cafe. The secluded, crescent beach was easy to access with lounge chairs, umbrellas, and hammocks ready to use. At other beaches we had to rent equipment and drag it to our preferred location on the beach. The dive shop was also walking distance and provided friendly service and equipment. The pool up on the hill provided lovely views of the beach and sunset over the water.

Room Tip: Beachfront right on beach/Oceanview up on hill
9  Thank jnwieder
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Our decision to stay at Secret Harbour was based on the beautiful pictures on the website. Whoever took the pictures and designed the website should win an award. The room we stayed in was severely outdated and not very clean. The staff was unfriendly at best and seemed bothered anytime we would ask for a suggestion on where to go on the island. The gym they claim to have was closed for renovations supposedly and what they considered their backup gym was nothing more than a treadmill and a bike in a conference room. The pool was one that you would see at a Howard Johnsons hotel. A plus, however, is that the beach there is beautiful and the location to the ferry to St John is very close, which is also very convienient. All in all, I overheard another guest use the term "bait and switch" to the manager and that is exactly how we felt about our stay there. Perhaps it was just our room, the people we dealt with, but we were very dissapointed with the overall accomodations. In retrospect, we wish we had paid the extra money to stay at the Marriott.

Room Tip: Just ask.. Try not to stay at the top.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank yankeefan12345
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed in the higher apartments. The rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed. The view of the beach from our huge balcony was awesome. It is a five minute drive to Red Hook, making day trips to St. Joh, and Virgin Gorda via the Red Hook ferry a breeze. There is a supermarket in Red Hook and we stocked up and thus eliminated the need for expensive hotel breakfasts.

The only fly in the ointment was front desk refusal to accomodate several requests which have always been accomodated as standard requests at other hotels.
1) We requested a late check out. Check out is 11 a..m. and our flight was at 4:30 p.m. Despite our explanation, we were most reluctantly granted only a 12 pm check out. We had stayed at the hotel five nights, had often eaten meals there and they would not even give us a 1 p.m. check out.
2)In addition, when we asked for them to print out our boarding passes - a standard courtesy granted by most hotels today - they explained that we would have to pay for internet service at the hotel (minimum starting rate of $3.50, then 70 cents a minute) to do that. It was only after we had problems with their computer that they begrudgingly accommodated us and printed the boarding passes.
3) At our noon check-out, we asked if our bags could be stored or looked after while we went to lunch at the hotel. The person behind the desk sternly asked if that would mean we would be back in half an hour. Of course, we responded it would be over an hour for their restaurant to cook the food and serve us - and for us to eat our meal.

These examples of substandard service from the front desk reduced our perception of the hotel from excellent to good , i.e., from an A to a B or possibly B+. A pity, because there is so much that is positive about the beauty of the locale, the excellent snorkeling and the large apartments. Unfortunately the front desk was ungracious and very disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vacationer60763
hforemanSH, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your stay at Secret Harbour. We strive for continuous improvement and appreciate hearing of opportunities to address. While we ask our guests to please understand that during peak season we have a short window of time to prepare checked out rooms for same day arrival, we understand your frustration with not being able to accomodate a late check out request. We are in the process of converting a portion of our Fitness Center to a shower/changing area to assist guests using our facilities on their check out day. We hope this change will alleviate any concerns for your future stays.
Please know that we take your comments seriously and will use them as a learning tool for our team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!