“More than we expected”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
“More than we expected”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Great location, food and accommodations. They upgraded our room because they thought we would be more comfortable in a bigger place. That happened without our asking. The beach and snorkeling are great with an easy taxi to armed Hook and the Ferry to St John.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sundialman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My old college roomate and I stayed here May 22-26, 2012, and had the most amazing timel. I had originally booked an ocean view room, and after further research, realized that there were lots of stairs to climb for the ocean view rooms, and my old roomate is battling cancer, had one round of chemo left, and was unable to climb all those stairs. You can imagine how worried I was after finding out about the stairs, but, I contacted them prior to our trip, and asked about paying extra for an ADA room. They took care of everything, and my friend was really able to relax, get her thoughts together and even gained her appetite back. I'm convinced that Secret Harbour gave her her happy back and I am forever grateful! The staff was amazing, and this is where I will continue to stay in the future. Bye the way, the swimming and snorkeling were amazing here. The water is so calm......it's like swimming in a pool.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kacyle
Reviewed 13 June 2012

There seems to be a fair amount of variability in the quality of each room. We were in a 1st floor beachfront efficiency. A little dated. TV picture quality was poor, but we wern't there to watch TV. The beach is on a well-protected bay so the water is very calm - very good for snorkling - nice variety of fish and coral to see. Our maid was friendly, the rest of the staff, not so much. We found a fairly high level of surliness in the locals. I think the hotel is overpriced, but its location near Red Hook and the ability to have safe and quality snorkling right out your front door were great. The hotel bar/grill was a great place for drinks and meeting people, but their food was below average (I thought the food throughout the USVI was unspectacular).
I must say, driving on the left made our stay more taxing than it should be on vacation. We rented a car, but should've just taken taxis - they were abundant, reliable and fairly priced.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room, preferably on the ground floor near the lobby and restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lukachukai
Souderton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My friend and I stayed at this resort for three nights. Check in went very smooth. We were a little apprehensive about our room as the office was very basic. We were escorted to a nondescript door. Our escort opened the door and my friend and just gaped in amazement. You truly can not judge a book by its cover. It was a one bedroom condo. The kitchen was state of the art. Black granite counter tops. All appliances were stainless, including a convection oven. As both my friend and I LOVE to cook, this was ideal. The living area was roomy and opened directly onto the beach. What a gem of a resort. TAKE TAXIS when going into town. The hill is dangerous at best for walking. Next morning we went to the beach. I spent all morning snorkeling. Puffer fish, damsel fish, manta ray, trumpet fish just to name a few species we saw. The iguanas are very used to humans. We were told not to wear bright polish on our toes as the iguanas think they are Sea Grapes. We thought it a joke until one bold fellow walked up to my friend and went straight for her feet. Need-less-to-say, we took off the nail polish! Cruzan Blackstrap Rum is widely available at a VERY good price. In PA it must be special ordered and each bottle is over $20. In the USVI the rum was barely $8 a bottle. Take some home! The Sunset Grille was very good. Mostly American fare. I bit pricey, which is why we cooked in for dinner and ate out at lunch. Make sure you check the cruise ship itineraries. Secret Harbour is an excursion on most cruise lines, The beach can get VERY crowded. We had to have a staff member remind the passengers NOT to use the beach chairs. Ours was taken at least twice. All in all, it was one of the best trips I have been on :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the beach. We stayed in room 3. The lower numbers have direct access to the beach.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank kittykatnap
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We just returned from 5 nights at Secret Harbour on St. Thomas. The beachfront studio was no more than 25 yards from the gorgeous water. Beach is very nice, quiet, plenty of shade. Our room had an updated kitchen: granite counters, new sink, tiled backsplash, nice sink/faucet. Stove and refrigerator were very clean. All the utensils you need and a microwave. Bathroom was okay: updated shower and tile throughout. Lots of towels.

Very comfortable bed but horrible pillows (I stuffed a throw pillow from the sofa into my pillowcase). Flat screen TV. Free secure WI/FI (just call the front desk for the login and password). Good A/C. Nice patio with bar height table and chairs, banana tree loaded with bananas that were almost ripe, oleander and other pretty shrubs. Overall a very clean room, nothing fancy but just what we needed. Only major drawbacks-we were right next to the restaurant/bar which was supposed to close at 10:00, and whomever was above us walked with a very heavy step and walked a lot in the early morning and late evening.

The lobby and walk up to the resort is smallish but well-maintained and nicely decorated. Staff at the front desk were friendly, welcoming and helpful. Restaurant is casual and pricey but the food was outstanding--more along the lines of a 4 or 5 star restaurant. Bar and restaurant area were overlooking the beach and water and had recently been renovated. Good drinks and happy hour prices along with a great bar menu and wonderful view. Worth a visit wherever you're staying.

We rented the condo through US Airways Vacations and got a good price. First day snorkeling we saw a turtle. The reef in the center of the harbour has a super variety of fish. Out to the right looking from shore the coral formation just off the point has a good variety of coral and fish. Water is a little rougher on the right side in that area so you will want to wait until early afternoon and when the surf is not crashing over the rocks before venturing out.

Room Tip: Beachfront is worth it. Bottom floors have entries from beach side. Others have rear entries.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ccmcbs
Gonzales
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Our room was mediocre,at best.
We were in building 5 (on the hill) in an Oceanview suite.
I would recommend getting a beach front room.
The rooms are OLDER (I'm guessing 1970s). Our TV (which we tried to use at night time) didn't work well at all and there was a lack of hot water.

Overall the beach & dive shop are GREAT! Don't waste your time eating at the two onside restaurants ( overpriced and not very good).

• Stayed June 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The hotel was wonderful. The view and location were excellent. The service was pleasant and professional. The room had a great view, was spacious and clean. The maid service was excellent. The dive shop (Aqua Action) was superb. The dive masters and ships crew were top noth and fun too. The dive locations were convenient and full of sea life. I have dived in many places around the globe. You won't find a better group to dive with. Sam, Diane, Bill and Brian were helpful, friendly and just fun to work with. Their customer service was superb. It was a five minute walk to the dive shop (and boat) from my room. You can't get more convenient than that. I dove three of the five days I was there. The dive conditions were great. The beach was wonderful. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The only reason I did not rate the hotel as Excellent was that the food was pricey and not quite up to what you would expect from a resort hotel. Also, they did not have room service (meals). We ended up buying food from the local grocery (close by) and ate a lot of meals in our room. The area restaurants had excellent food and some were only a five minute drive away. Otherwise, it was a most memorable vacation for our family. We have a lot of great pictures and memories we took away from our trip. We will most likely return!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Alex P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!