“Wonderfully laid back resort”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I did see several negative reviews before booking but went ahead anyway, glad we did. Read the postive reviews as they all give an accurate picture of staying here. If you need a resort that has 4 restaurants, 6 bars, and 3 pools (along with 500+ rooms) this is not for you. However if your looking for a place where the beach is steps from your room, with chairs under palm tree shade, no crowds or blaring music, and a good bar/restaurant at the end of the beach, this is your place. The staff was always friendly and with only 60 some rooms they see you often. Soon your saying hi by name. These are owner owned condos some of which are managed for rental, so the decor varies between them. Building 3 was empty and undergoing renovation. We were in building 4 and had to walk by the crews every day. They were always polite and exchanged greetings. I never had cause to complain about noise or anything they were doing affecting my stay. Soon building 3 will be as nice as building 4 which looks like it had just been done. I would recommend going to the food center and stock up on breakfast and snack food so you can enjoy your balcony in the morning. If your from Manhattan the prices won't scare you but they are high. The snorkling is wonderful here. Even 200 yards from the beach the water was only 20' deep. But we came to dive and having Aqua Action right on property was great. We saw several turtles, an octopus and a ray along with hundreds of smaller fish all right in the harbour. My wife and I upped our certifications during several boat dives, one even at night! We stayed a week and only left the property 3 times. If you want to go to some local hang outs for live music take a short taxi ride to either Molly Molone's or Latitude 18. While Fishtails had wonderful seafood. This resort is good for couples relaxing, or familes with younger kids (no big surf only little 4" waves). I would not recommend this for teens or if you are looking for nightlife as nothing is close-by or safe to walk to. The roads are extremely narrow and even a local who worked on property was hit by a car while we were there. Take a taxi and have a safe vacation.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are buildings 1-4 and Oceanview are 5-7. Oceanview are up on a hill side across the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike_Zap
MizManagementVI, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you Zap! We are so glad y'all had a good time and look forward to having you as regulars.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

It was our first trip to St Thomas and although it started out a bit bumpy (flight delayed, car rental a bust, etc) when we finally arrived at Secret Harbour Resort we were very pleased. Great service at the front desk. Great beach front room, clean, great view, a/c. The bed was a little hard, but overall a wonderful experience. Staff seemed a little standoffish at first, but if you simply smile and say "good morning or good afternoon" they seem to realize that we're not all terrible Americans. Food was ok at the Cruzan Beach Club. Drinks were good. Especially during happy hour. Megan provided great beach service to us so a special shout out to her. Sunset Grille was a bit spendy, but the Au gratin potatoes & creamed spinach were really good. My sons steak was great, mine was good. Husband had the fish and it was good. This is a nice place to relax. Nothing is close by, so be prepared for multiple taxi's or if you dare, rent a car.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim K
Reviewed 8 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night and mostly had a positive experience. There is one negative and I'll cut to the chase. We went to the restaurant for breakfast and were told there were no eggs. No eggs?! The server was apologetic knowing (and saying) that it was 3/4 of their menu options. So, looking for protein, I ordered the bagels with salmon. The server came back to tell me there also was no salmon.

For a hotel that charges $300+/night and bills itself as a boutique hotel, I think they should find this unacceptable. I also think it would have been a nice touch for a manager to come and apologize and perhaps even offer to discount the meal (which they did not). So that left a sour taste in our mouth after what was a pleasant stay.

I'm guessing this doesn't happen often so it hopefully shouldn't be an issue with future guests.

Our lunch at the bar the day before was very flavorful and creative (wonton nachos with ahi tuna. Delicious!). The night before, we also ate at their restaurant and had a nice steak with a glass of wine (their wine selection is quite good).

The beach is clean and the staff all around were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable and appeared to have been recently renovated.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fromfairfaxva

Thank you so much for informing me of this issue. The restaurant is a seperately owned business and a great partner of ours. I sent your comments to their general manager and she is wonderful about responding. I only wish I had been informed of this while you were at the table- I could've run to the store! I hope that the rest of your stay was pleasurable and we look forward to welcoming you back with a full breakfast!

Reviewed 22 November 2012

If your dream is to be in crystal clear water 1 minute from your room, this small condo hotel
right on a beautiful small beach is for you.

I have been here 5 times, and the water, the location, near the ferry terminal, 15 minutes to St. John, and the beach restaurant make it a relaxing, easy place to be.

Margaret at the desk spent lots of time finding me a linen shop and then called to make sure they had what I wanted.
Thank you Margaret!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank susannaofpatmos
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We just returned from a 5-day stay at Secret Harbour Beach Resort. We are sad to be home already. I will be honest and say we were a bit nervous about some of the negative reviews posted on Trip Advisor - outdated rooms, rude staff, etc. Let me be the first to tell you - we received nothing but A+ 5-star service from the moment we checked in, with a big warm welcome from Claudette at the front desk, to the bartenders Joe and Brian, and all the people in between who went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Our one bedroom beach front condo was newly renovated, and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Gorgeous furniture, cherry cabinets with granite counters and stainless steel appliances, 2 flat screen tvs (living room and bedroom). Huge king sized-bed with matching bureaus. We loved the place! Our unit was in building 2 on the 3rd floor. We had stunning views of the sunrise and sunset. We had read complaints from others about no hot water, and we experienced the same problem on our first night there. We didn't speak up as we thought this was just normal. However, the next morning when there was still no hot water, we placed a called to the front desk, and Margaret had a service manager at our door in less than 5 minutes. He immediately knew the problem was the wrong size circuit breaker, and returned in 10 minutes with a new one - Hot water the rest of our time there. When we woke up each morning, beach staff were already preparing for the new day - raking the beach and setting out the beach chairs. A couple of things I will say - signage to find the resort could be better. We got lost a few times as there weren't any signs on the main road. Also, there isn't alot located very close by. You would need to take a cab or a rental car to get to Red Hook (about 5 min drive) or to the grocery store (again 5 min drive). We found eating at the Cruzan Beach Bar absolutely suited our taste so we ate there all but one night. We bought breakfast items and snacks for the room, and ate breakfast on our balcony. Lastly, those who have reported that the beds were on the harder side - this is true. Mattress was more firm than we would have liked. However highly recommend Secret Harbour to anyone who is having second thoughts. While we were there as a couple, we did see many families with small children who all seemed to be having a great time snorkeling, or making sand castles on the shore.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room. I tried to sneak a peak into some of the others rooms, especially beach l...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna D
Reviewed 19 November 2012 via mobile

Resort was great. We rented a studio beachfront room and it was perfect. Even tho the room was small and had a kitchen it didn't feel cramped. The beach was gorgeous and uncrowded. There was also some good snorkeling.

The resort had an excellent fine dining restaurant and a bar with good bar food. Resort food was a little pricey. Redhook is also close by so there are plenty of food options. There is also a grocery called, Food Center, about a mile away so it's easy to stock up the kitchen with food.

I would definitely recommend renting a car. It was great having the freedom to explore the island without relying on cabs. KEEP TO THE LEFT!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Based on reviews and what we were looking for – we booked Secret Harbor. It was perfect for our 25th Anniversary. As many recommended – we stayed on the beachfront and glad we did. We never made it up the hill to the pool; as the view and the sound of the water in front of us was perfect.
We are not typically big on snorkeling, but we read that it was good at this site. Wow great call – it was beautiful. At a friend’s suggestion, we purchased snorkel sets at our sporting goods store prior to the trip and then bought “bright” nylon mesh backpack to carry the gear. (The bright bag enabled us to easily see and to keep an eye on our stuff while snorkeling at St John.) You can rent gear and air mattress on site, but more than once - wished I had brought along a couple of cheap inflatable air mattress. The restaurant on site was good; the breakfast was a value, for island fare. On our way in from teh airport, our taxi driver graciously stopped at the grocery in Red Hook. We got snacks, lunch items and beverages. Be careful, I mistakenly bought a $9 bottle of 151 rum. That is the one item that is cheap on the island.
We usually dined at one of the Red Hook restaurants. We are glad we stayed at Secret Harbor and will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hatchie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
#4 of 5 in East End

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!