We booked a week at this resort with quite a bit of trepidation after reading some negative reviews on TripAdvisor. There weren't that many resorts that fit all the criteria we were using to find somewhere to stay in the Caribbean, but despite the negative reviews, the beach seemed to be exactly what we wanted. One of our high priorities was to find a beachfront suite where we could step right out to snorkel without having to go through a maze of landscape or buildings to get to the beach. We also wanted a family friendly resort and a quiet beach that had some coverage for shade.
The negative reviews regarding cleanliness were our biggest concern, so I was pleasantly pleased to find the condo we had (217) to be quite clean. Thanks in no small part to Clementine, who serviced our room. The furniture and bathroom are outdated, but the kitchen worked well and was handy to have.
Although the resort is a bit rough around the edges and the restaurant is limited with average quality offerings, as well as the attitude of some of the front desk staff bordering on rude, I would still recommend this place, especially for families with younger children. The beach is beautiful with calm water and pretty good snorkeling at a rather shallow depth. It was a perfect place for my avid swimmer and sea creature obsessed child to swim, as well as my slightly afraid to get his head wet, still learning to swim child to spend a few hours every day. The beach and bar would get a bit louder and fuller during some of the day when cruise ship visitors would visit, but overall it was pretty restful. I liked the convenience and very casual atmosphere of the beachfront restaurant, when some of the family wanted to eat and others preferred to swim. However, we eventually ended up going down the street to the Ritz for some of our meals, because the quality and variety were a bit lacking at Secret Harbour's Sunset Grille.
Beautiful beach, with calm water and lots of fish
Friendly beach staff (though a couple times they seemed to be missing when we needed a towel)
Beachfront rooms are very convenient and have nice spacious patios or terraces
Convenient restaurant with friendly staff
Noise from beach front bar can still be a little loud later in the evening
Front desk staff are unhelpful, unfriendly and unwelcoming
Restaurant is very limited and the food is nothing special
No laundry facilities
Very outdated (but relatively clean) bathroom and dingy furniture
Air conditioning doesn't work well
Overall, I would consider coming back to this property, although it is certainly not at the level of luxury we usually gravitate towards. I would even prefer to spend more for this beach location, if there were 1.) better dining options 2.) laundry facilities 3.) an updated bathroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secret Harbour is a boutique all-beachfront condominium resort on the Caribbean US Virgin Island of St. Thomas. The resort is situated on the island's Southeast shore on a palm-tree shaded swimming/snorkeling beach with pristine Caribbean blue water and sugary sand offering tranquil and water sport vacations with superb amenities. The all-beachfront property features 48 uniquely furnished condominiums on the ocean that are individually owned and resort managed. Each condominium is a spacious studio, 1- or 2-bedroom beachfront suite with fully equipped kitchen and private patio/balcony. Amenities include: 2 restaurants; PADI dive center with scuba diving, excursion boats, sailing and watersport rentals; freshwater pool; tennis courts; fitness center; gift shop; ATM & spa services. The intimate resort is ideal for families, couples, watersport & diving enthusiasts, visiting executives, and those seeking a tropical destination wedding, honeymoon or event. Bonus amenities include free Wi-Fi, onsite concierge, and wedding/event coordinator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Secret Harbour Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Harbour Beach Hotel Benner
- Hotel Secret Harbour Beach