Overall Secret Beach Harbour Resort was a decent place to stay but definitely overpriced. We had some issues that weren’t resolved which is unacceptable for how much they charged.
- We never had a safe in the room like they advertised. The staff member who took us to our room pointed it out at check-in and said it would be installed the next day. It wasn’t installed. We asked each day if they could install a safe and they always said yes, but it never happened. After five days of this, one person finally leveled with us and said they were no more safes so it wasn’t going to happen.
- The shower did not have hot water at all. At best it was lukewarm. It was a small bathroom and even with the window and door shut the shower could not put out enough warm water to fog up the mirrors at all. Both the kitchen and bathroom sinks had hot water so this was especially frustrating.
- The shower water pressure was very bad. It basically trickled out of the shower head. Between this and the lukewarm water it was a toss-up whether we should shower in the bathroom or use the outdoor shower by the pool.
- The window AC unit had broken knobs so you couldn’t adjust it at all. You could use the power switch to turn it on or off and that was it. Both the temperature and fan speed controls were broken. We didn’t plan to use the AC that much but sometimes during the day it was hot and since the screens had many holes and gaps in them they let a lot of mosquitoes in the room.
- The kitchenette was nice but it wasn’t stocked with much. There was a small saucepan and small frying pan but that was it for the stove/oven. Enough to make it usable though.
- There was only one person working the beach area for drinks or food which meant a long wait for any service when the weather was nice and the beach was crowded. Not a huge issue since we went up to get stuff ourselves, but it seemed dumb to not hire someone else to help her out. She was very friendly and worked hard to help everyone, but was obviously overwhelmed much of the time.
- The pictures made it look like there was a hot tub in the one corner of the pool but there isn’t. It is setup for a hot tub with the seats and jets in the seats (which worked) but it was the same temperature as the pool (there’s a theme here).
- The dive shop is expensive. We rented snorkel gear for the day and it was $20 each. A five day rental runs $80. We rented gear on St. John for $3 a day at Trunk Bay. We didn’t look to rent anywhere else but I’m sure there is more affordable gear in the area.
- They put a $75 a night hold on your credit card. We were told at check-in that it is cumulative for each day you are there (i.e. 10 days would be a $750 hold). It isn’t a charge, just a hold and I forgot to look to see if it was really a reoccurring $75 hold or $750 (for all 10 nights) but either way it seems completely unnecessary. They also place a hold for each room key, towel, and security gate pass that you need. Not a deal breaker but it did seem unnecessary.
- The staff was very friendly and most of the time very helpful.
- The beach location is great. Very calm waters, good snorkeling, and great beach area with chairs, hammocks, umbrellas, etc.
- Great views from the rooms.
- Close to Redhook (close to the ferry, restaurants, bars, etc.)
- Having a kitchenette was great for making some of your own meals (like breakfast), giving you better lunch options than just the bar food at the resort, and saving you some money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secret Harbour is a boutique all-beachfront condominium resort on the Caribbean US Virgin Island of St. Thomas. The resort is situated on the island's Southeast shore on a palm-tree shaded swimming/snorkeling beach with pristine Caribbean blue water and sugary sand offering tranquil and water sport vacations with superb amenities. The all-beachfront property features 48 uniquely furnished condominiums on the ocean that are individually owned and resort managed. Each condominium is a spacious studio, 1- or 2-bedroom beachfront suite with fully equipped kitchen and private patio/balcony. Amenities include: 2 restaurants; PADI dive center with scuba diving, excursion boats, sailing and watersport rentals; freshwater pool; tennis courts; fitness center; gift shop; ATM & spa services. The intimate resort is ideal for families, couples, watersport & diving enthusiasts, visiting executives, and those seeking a tropical destination wedding, honeymoon or event. Bonus amenities include free Wi-Fi, onsite concierge, and wedding/event coordinator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secret Harbour Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Harbour Beach Hotel Benner
- Hotel Secret Harbour Beach