“Enjoyable stay over Christmas week”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The beach is the top attraction at Secret Harbour; lovely sand, good snorkeling right off the beach (saw my first cuttlefish in the wild right off this beach, cute little squid, too). Nice hammocks strategically placed. Unlike other guests, I didn't experience extreme crowding. Guess the cruise shippers missed the place during our stay. No problem getting plenty of towels either. Only drawback on the beach? Other guests who left their bags tied to chairs overnight to "reserve" them for the next day. This is something I wish the management would discourage.

We had a second floor room farthest from the "lobby," but it was quiet and the balcony had a gorgeous view of the beach (awesome sunsets). In the mornings, we had breakfast on the balcony and watch the giant iguanas sun themselves in the treetops. We had a one bedroom with two pull out bed sofas in the living area. Yes, the decor is a bit dated (it seems to vary wildly among rooms), but it was clean and functional. Only complaint is that the dishwasher was broken. Not a problem if you use a few dishes each day, just hand wash them. It was a problem, however, because it was full of dirty (I mean REALLY dirty) dishes from the previous guests. I never thought I'd do an entire condo full of dishes on vacation. Our housekeeper was apologetic and seemed shocked that the dishwasher wasn't fixed yet. She was also very nice and helpful in getting us sheets immediately for the sofabeds.

The beach bar had tasty lunch items (and large portions), and we had a Christmas eve meal at the restaurant that was nice. The grounds are well kept.

The staff at the dive shop are AWESOME and helpful. They have everything you could need in terms of snorkel gear, snacks, beach toys, etc. They helped me out with my own malfunctioning equipment. Great people.

Secret Harbour is extremely convenient to Red Hook, which has a nice variety of restaurants and the car barge to St. John.
I would definitely stay there again. Environment more that makes up for the few problems.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the 300 or 400 building for quiet farther from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank LRS622

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at Secret Harbour Beach Resort 1/30-2/9. We were in a Studio King Beachfront - a little dated in some areas but over all a decent room and with the beach only steps away - that made up for the somewhat dated décor and hard bed! Beach - very very nice - calm, clear water. Staff at the hotel were great - always there to help. The Cruzan Beach bar - very nice people and the breakfast, lunches and dinners we all good! Nice location with a 5.00 cab ride into Red Hook to catch the ferry to St John or eat and hang out at some great fun places, Duffy's Love Shack, Island Time Pizza, and we actually had 2 great dinners at Fish tails - great food and really good service.

Bottom Line - we would go back to Secret Harbour and do plan to do so - hopefully in the near future!! Thanks everyone at Secret Harbour for making our yearly vacation to St Thomas a very enjoyable one!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are the way to go!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marty B
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights, had a beach front suite with patio, steps from the restaurant. Good place to relax. Sheltered beach, good swimming and safe for children and elderly. Only drawback is transportation is needed to go into town, but taxis always available.

Room Tip: Beachfront on the ground floor so you can step out of your room onto the beach. Patio furniture incl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Without doubt, one of the most beatiful places I have ever stayed. A nicely equipped room, right on the beach. Absolutely idyllic if you just want to chill. Miles from anywhere though and a $10 cab ride to the nearest supermarket. And it is just a bit tired, for example the doors to my room came off their runners through poor maintenance and the kitchen fittings were a bit 1970's; but frankly that all pales into insignificance when you draw your curtains in the morning. And to top it off, just a 15 minute walk to Chabad albeit along a rather hair raising road (not recommended with children)

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front room. The view is absolutely stunning!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank perryburns
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is our third visit to Secret Harbor located at the East End of St. Thomas which promotes a very different and true island feel to experience for sure. Troy a great asset previously assisted with ensuring your in the sand on beach experience was superb is now doing the same for the indoor services. The new manager Javier is someone to meet. He is a great fit with his experience to manage the property in current and future needs. We stayed in both ground level beachfront and second level offering superior views. Depending on your preferences you should always be verbal about what your likes and dislikes are as they also have hillside rooms where the pool it located and is very nice as well. The restaurant is phenomenal. Locals flood it at night so you know it's great and the beach bar is excellent. Each room has it's own flair in design, location, etc. I would definitely recommend this property with it's extremely calm water for superior snorkeling. There is a dive site right on property, it is close to Red Hook and the splendid array of the many palm trees directly on the beach remind you this is a true island paradise. Happy island travels.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask about where on the property your room is located as there is ground, upper and hillsi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed at Secret Harbor for 3 nights as we were unable to extend our stay at Marriott Cove where we spent the first week of our vacation. The beach was very nice, with lots of fish, excellent snorkeling, palm trees and hammocks, I would definitely give it 5 stars. Cruzan beach bar located right on the beach is a perfect place for lunch, they have delicious pizzas and good sandwiches/burgers.
The rooms however are not so great, some are better than other. Our room was kind of updated, but the safe did not work. Also the kitchen was poorly equipped. My brother’s room was very outdated and it smelled bad. They had to buy air freshener to get rid of the musty smell.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SylwiaL
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I would first like to say that the stay at Secret Harbour was great. We I got there my room was not ready, but they directed me to one of the two restaurants and I had lunch which was alright with me because I was hungry anyway.

They directed me to my room which was up the hill. The room was great but I wanted to be next to the beach and not up on the hill, so upon making a room change request they sent me with an employee names Troy who was very helpful and understanding and helped me pick out a room that was to my satisfaction.

The rooms are nice the bar, and restaurants are next to each other. The menu was appetizing, and the drinks that were prepared by the bartender were great. I had three main servers each day when I went to dine out. In the morning my servers name was KiKi, during the day its was Krysta, and in the evening it was Micheal. All these servers were GREAT. They were fast in taking the order, always came back to the table to see if I was alright, and always asked how I was doing, and enjoying my stay.

I must also say that in watching other servers I saw that other guests were receiving the same great service that I was receiving, and at times they would come over and check my table. But I must say that my severs were fantastic.

The maids were great the room was cleaned properly, I would leave a tip everyday for the person that cleaned my room because I was so satisfied.

The beach was clean and the water was great.

This place was five minutes from a small downtown called Red Hook which has some restaurants, and other shops.

The resorts restaurants, and bar shut down at 10:00 pm during the week, and 11:00 pm on the weekend.

The place is quiet at night. I did not see that many young folks, mostly couples, and not many children during my stay.

Make sure you take a trip on the eastern part of the island close to where the cruise ships docks there are many stores for shopping. Also take a day trip by ferry to St Johns. I took the island tour which was great.

This island and location is great for couples, or persons that want a quiet, peaceful, and great location to relax enjoy the beach, food, drinks, try some water activities, and read a great book.

If you are a single man looking for a lot of action, and females this is not the place for you except if you are into the above stated conditions, then your fall in place. This is a great place for couples, and groups, or a single women who likes to be at a place where they could hangout at the beach and read a great book, have a drink and some conversation with girlfriends, and then have get a great night sleep, without during the day or night enduring unwanted male attention.

I hope that this review is helpful, now book the trip you will not regret it !

Keith S. James,
New York City

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room next to the beach, if you don't then you will be placed in a nice r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Singlemankeith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas
#1 of 5 in East End
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!