“wonderful escape from winter's blast!”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Baltimore, Maryland
“wonderful escape from winter's blast!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband and I were so lucky to find this spot which we booked only 2 weeks before we arrived.. It was delightful to stay in a spacious condo just steps from the beach. The unit, was spotless, newly renovated attractively furnished, comfortable king size bed, lots of storage space ,2nd floor with balcony very private.
The staff was exceptional. at the front desk ,Delicia and Rhonda,maid service and in the restaurant where we had .breakfast and lunch.Our waiter Brad was attentive and gave us great tips about the area,We had several excellent dinners at the Sunset Grill and also in Red Hook.

Room Tip: Building 1 or 2 closer to beach
3 Thank Betsy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Secret Harbor is a comfortable hotel in a nice private location. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas but no water toys except for rental. Snorkeling is good with reefs just off the beach and lots of fish. The one bedroom condo was dated but just steps from the beach. The rooms were very clean and maid service was good. Staff was very competent. When booking ask for a ground floor in building three. You step out on the beach but building three is elevated so your are not in a fish bowl.

Room Tip: Building Three one bedrooms on the ground floor provide privacy and immediate beach access.
5 Thank wyoming88
Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed in room 424, a beach front 1 bedroom unit in building 4 on the second floor. The room was lovely and the view even better. Kitchen and bathroom updated and very nice, bed probably needs to be replaced, TV and AC worked well. Staff was friendly, courteous and helpful - they even let me print my boarding passes in the office. The beach is small, but nice - albeit a little busy sometimes, due to non-resort visitors. The snorkeling was excellent - many rock formations on either end of the beach to explore and many interesting fish species to discover. A short drive to Redhook, which has a few stores/eateries and the ferry. A grocery store is a short drive in the other direction. However, driving on the island is an adventure! You drive on the left (the wrong side given that the steering wheel is also on the left side of the vehicle), the roads are narrow, sharp cornered, and nothing is marked. The locals drive pretty poorly and have no patience for tourists in Jeeps. The Sunset Grill (restaurant) was pretty good, but pricey. We ate there twice and were ready for something different. The Cruzan Beach Club bar/grille was also pretty good, less pricey, but still not inexpensive. Drinks are expensive, To be fair, not much on the island is inexpensive - groceries, pizza all high. Regardless, overall a nice place to stay for sand, sun and relaxation.

Room Tip: I liked the beach front, would suggest 2nd or third floor for privacy and view - building 4 is farth...
4 Thank B_Car_33
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked here at the last minute due to our flights from the USVI being canceled due to weather. This place was awesome. The staff were wonderful and professional. We showed up three hours early and they did not have our reservation. I showed them the receipt on my phone and they upgraded us immediately to a two bedroom apartment on the hill overlooking the pool, beach, and harbor. When we walked down to the beach side bar the manager introduced himself and the staff and pointed out everything. Everything about this place was excellent. Even the snorkeling on the reef was good.

2 Thank tek1025
North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 February 2014

just got back from a quick 5 day mini vaca in st thomas and we stayed at secret harbour. it's a casual, laid back place.

rooms- condo units, we had a 1 bedroom (226) that had a renovated bathroom and kitchen. it looked directly onto the beach w/the water 100' in front. they also have waterview rooms but i would stay waterfront as it's a bit of a walk from the water view units. the unit's are older but very clean and comfortable. the bed was hard but we are ok with that.

beach - no issues here, small, quite and easy access to a protected bay beach. there are some rock formations in the water but it's not an issue. kind of surprised that there was no waiter service but it's a short walk to the bar/restaurant.

bar/restaurant- for a caribbean hotel/condo resort i have to say that it's very good. we ate every meal in either the rest or the bar and everything was good and most of it was very good. prices for food and drinks were within range of what i would expect, if they were any more we probably would have eaten a few meals off property. it's a 5 out of 5 for a small resort operation.

front desk and managers were all great, the girls at the check in were as nice as could be and havier?? one of the mangers couldn't have been more accomodating.

i'd go back without a question, our other option was the ritz but for the money and the laid back atmosphere i'm glad we chose secret harbour.

Room Tip: renovated and water front not view
2 Thank pathfinder1133408
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I just got back from a 6 day trip to St. Thomas from Huntington, NY (which got 20 inches of snow while we were gone!!). We stayed at a local B and B on Sunday (came in a day early to avoid a snow storm) and at Secret Harbour Monday through Friday, they were booked for Sunday. Based on a recommendation from my wife's brother, who lived in St. Thomas for 2+ years, and our own experience (we had gone to Secret Harbour's Beach on our last visit to STVI but didn't stay there) I chose to spend the extra money and stay at Secret Harbour, one of the nicest hotels on the island. Based on past experience we have found that cheaping out on a hotel can make a vacation less than enjoyable. So for my wife's 30th birthday I sprung for a Studio Suite, Ocean View King room that cost about $480 a night including tax. This being the cheapest room they had available, but one of the most expensive hotels in St. Thomas (the Ritz was out of the question). The resort is in one of the nicest areas of the Island, in my opinion. It is a 2 minute drive to the town of Red Hook which has great bars, restaurants, shops, a marina and offers hourly ferries to St. John and other islands. When you arrive at the lobby you can't help but stair at what looks like a painting on the wall behind the counter, but is actually a window looking out beyond their beach into the Caribbean Sea. This immediately sets the tone. Since I had gone with this more pricey hotel option, I couldn't wait to see our room. Even though I knew ahead of time that Secret Harbour's rooms are more like apartments, I was excited to see what $480 a night was going to get us. As the woman began to show me a map of the property, to help me find my room, the excitement started to fade. What I didn't know ahead of time was that this resort has other buildings besides the biggest one right on the beach. And the one we were in was the furthest away, up a huge hill that was either 6-8 flights of stairs walking, or up a steep hill driving. We had rented a car. After we parked in the top lot in the furthest possible spot, we then found that we had to walk back down 2 flights of stairs to access our room (each unit had 3 floors, top floor being level with the parking lot). We made our way to the front of the building, facing the Caribbean Sea, since the rooms are only accessible from the front porch (which we thought was odd). This trek from the lobby was suddenly worth it because the view was amazing. Based on the price, and now the view, I had great expectations before entering the room. Let's just say I didn't say "WOW" when we opened the door. The suite was big and spacious and would be perfect for a couple with a child. It had nice stainless steel appliances and the fridge was cold. I wasn't impressed by the room, but I was still smiling ear to ear because I was in the Caribbean Islands instead of at my office on a Monday morning. Secret Harbour has a beautiful little beach that doesn't get crowded since its a little hidden. They also have a great bar/grille (Sunset Grille) right on the beach so we headed straight down.
So lots of good so far, but for $480 a night here is the bad: The room was outdated overall and the set up made no sense. The TV was set up on a dresser on the right side middle of the bed, so there was no comfortable way to watch TV. And it was pretty small so if we tilted it to watch from the futon (not couch) we could barely see it. We weren't there to watch TV, but its nice at night and in the morning. There was a decent bathroom and a huge walk in closet, which did nothing but take up a lot of the rooms space. WE HAD TO DRIVE FROM OUR ROOM DOWN TO THE BEACH to not have to carry all our stuff down the huge hill. There is no cell service on the island, and in the room there was a phone, but no info on how to get in touch with the front desk, the bar/grille, order a taxi, order food, report a problem, etc. No room service. We couldn't talk to hotel employee without trekking all the way back down to the lobby. So I requested a room change, but was told that every room was filled (even though the one next to ours stayed empty all week). I was appreciative enough to be on the beach in February that I just accepted it. We wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room anyway, except at night.
Since it was 85 degrees and sunny every day, we blasted the A/C all night. The next morning I was able to add another reason to the list of why I grossly overpaid. NO HOT SHOWER. The luke warm shower felt good the night before after a full day of hot sun, but not so much after sleeping in an air conditioned room all night. We toughed it out and were off to the beach. Stopped to let the staff know about the hot water and we were told someone would be up to check it out. I don't know what they checked but my next hot shower wasn't until I got home to NY. I get that hot water isn't plentiful on the Islands, but for $480 a night, I want to take a hot shower once a day. After enough sun burn, the cold showers weren't really an issue. We had a great stay but unfortunately I have to say I wouldn't go back to Secret Harbour Beach Resort based simply what we got for the price we paid. Their lowest rate (what we got) is the 3rd most expensive hotel on the entire island! As I mentioned earlier, we had to stay in a Bed and Breakfast for the first night called "Two Sandals by the Sea" which was more than half the price and had nicer rooms. Its not on the beach but its just a few doors down from Secret Harbour on the same street. Unless you have small children and want to pretty much stay at the hotel's beach the whole time, you don't need a place with a beach. We only spent a few hours out of 5 days at our hotel's beach. St. Thomas has a few great beaches and a short ferry ride ($7 each way) to St. John will give you access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean (we spent almost every day there). Secret Harbour is in the nicest are of St. Thomas and has a beautiful beach and a nice restaurant. It is perfect for young families or older couples who don't want to really venture out and prefer a condo like setting. If you are just going to use a hotel as a place to relax after a day of doing whatever you want, but you also prefer that hotel to be on the higher end, I would recommend looking somewhere else. If you can't afford The Ritz, I would take a good look at the B and Bs.

Room Tip: Get a room in the building on the beach, if it's in your price range. All others are a hike to...
7 Thank Will K
OGG-mktg, Public Relations Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you Will for staying at Secret Harbour to celebrate your wife's birthday. We are pleased that you think that Secret Harbour is one of the nicest hotels on the island. We are glad that you enjoyed the beach and the views. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your oceanview accommodation. Oceanview rooms are on the hill and are priced less than the beachfront condominiums that are literally on the beach. During peak season such as now, the resort is operating at full capacity so moving from the oceanview to beachfront may not have been possible. We are sorry we could not have moved you to make your wife's birthday even more special, Note, all condominiums are privately owned and the empty unit next to you may not have been in the rental program. We do hope that you will consider returning to Secret Harbour and staying in one of the beachfront condominiums. We would love to earn your repeat business and have a great return guest discount program. For future reference the USVI has great cell service through AT&T and Sprint. Other phone carriers have less than stellar service, Thank you again for staying at Secret Harbour. We hope to see you soon.
MN
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Everyone at this resort worked their butts off to make our stay wonderful ! From Francisca our room cleaner...to Dillion at the Sunset Grille...to Kiki at the Cruzan Beach club...and Troy who showed us to our room and gave us a great recommendation ! And many other unnamed employees ! We snorkled for hours....saw a ray and a turtle and lots of fish ! The waters are so calm...you wake to the sound of doves and gentle lapping of the waves....Would be great place to bring younger children or grandchildren...or just to sit back and veg out as we did. We played some tennis as well at the resort courts. We highly recommend Secret Harbour Resort !

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank NorthPointAdvisor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
#4 of 5 in East End

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!