We wanted to BE on the beach; and we were! Across a 3 ft. sidewalk to the sand.
When we were in St. Thomas last year on a cruise we took a taxi to both Sapphire Beach and Secret Harbor to snorkel. We chose to return to Secret Harbor because it was not TOO crowded like Sapphire and the snorkeling was super. On our return in May, we stayed in #218 a studio unit virtually on the sand. Unbelievable!! But inside the unit we were not as pleased. It had no sofa, and only a fancy card table set up in front of the TV to eat on. The appliances were good but the kitchen lacked some serving dishes, sharp knives and the dishes were not washed well. We rewashed all we used. Every unit is a little different. We booked with Hotels.com and not directly with an owner who may have provisioned a unit better. Nonetheless, the management was extremely helpful moving us from our first unit within minutes because of a sewage smell, to this one. So releived, we didn't notice the deficiencies at first.
The hotel Beach Bar has excellent food and typical prices for St. Thomas. They also have a Happy Hour for several hours that matched or beat the beer and rum drink prices in Red Hook. The fancier restaurant had a full menu and usually a good crowd.
Access to and from the hotel is difficult if you do not have a car. We suggested that management should provide a low cost shuttle 5 min. into Red Hook or to the supermarket as they do in other condo properties. A Taxi is $5.00 pp whether you go 1 mile or 10. Look into the "dollar" taxi (just that) if you are carless. However, the problem still remains of walking up, up, up to the main road.
The snorkeling was great for two days (very clear and warm) and murky, cloudy for two days. We saw lots of fish, a lobster, a huge turtle, and two large squid.
We went there just for the on-the-beach experience, having stayed 4 days at another property that had a spectacular, elevated view and excellent amenities, but no beach at arms' length. Secret Harbor was pricey but we would love to go back for the beach atmosphere and the warm "vibe" of the property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secret Harbour is currently closed due to hurricane Irma Secret Harbour is a boutique all-beachfront condominium resort on the Caribbean US Virgin Island of St. Thomas. The resort is situated on the island's Southeast shore on a palm-tree shaded swimming/snorkeling beach with pristine Caribbean blue water and sugary sand offering tranquil and water sport vacations with superb amenities. The all-beachfront property features 48 uniquely furnished condominiums on the ocean that are individually owned and resort managed. Each condominium is a spacious studio, 1- or 2-bedroom beachfront suite with fully equipped kitchen and private patio/balcony. Amenities include: 2 restaurants; PADI dive center with scuba diving, excursion boats, sailing and watersport rentals; freshwater pool; tennis courts; fitness center; gift shop; ATM & spa services. The intimate resort is ideal for families, couples, watersport & diving enthusiasts, visiting executives, and those seeking a tropical destination wedding, honeymoon or event. Bonus amenities include free Wi-Fi, onsite concierge, and wedding/event coordinator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Secret Harbour Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Harbour Beach Hotel Benner
- Hotel Secret Harbour Beach