“Wonderful resort with a great restaurant (Blue Moon Cafe) attached.”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My girlfriend and I just spent a wonderful 8 days here at Secret Harbour. It's a nice quiet resort nestled on a lovely little cove on the far eastern side of the island. We stayed in room 611 which is up the hill from the beach. I was a bit apprehensive about what the condition of our room would be after reading about some people's experience here with run down rooms but our room was in excellent shape and well appointed with a large new fridge.

Our king size bed was great. I've read reviews where people complained about their bed but ours was great, and I had a great night's sleep on it every night. Maybe we were lucky and had a newly renovated unit with a new bed as well. Who knows? All I know is our room was more that satisfactory, and quite homey/cozy.

Our experience with the front desk ladies on several occasions was nothing but pleasant. They were welcoming, friendly and helpful.

We initially picked the ocean view (as opposed to the ocean front) because it was cheaper, but after actually being there and seeing both I would still choose a room on the hill again regardless of cost. Firstly because the rooms up the hill have a much more expansive view of the beach and the harbor and islands beyond. Second because of privacy. The patios on the ocean front rooms lie literally right on the beach, with a sidewalk (and people) running right in front of your room. I can fully understand how that could be desirable to some people, but we prefer a little more seclusion. To each their own. Our patio was elevated about 8 feet above the walkway, which in our 8 days there I never heard nor saw anyone walk on/by.

The beauty about this kind of resort is the kitchen in every room. We loaded up the Jeep on our first day at the Food Mart supermarket that's a mile or two before the resort on Route 32 (a.k.a Red Hook Rd.) and had coffee and ate breakfast every day on our patio and enjoyed the amazing view.

We did eat dinner (and sometimes lunch) out every day, and we ate many meals at the excellent Blue Moon Cafe restaurant that's attached to this resort. The food here is wonderful. The best food we had on St. Thomas by far. Even if we weren't staying here we would have made the trip for this restaurant alone. It's THAT good.

Since it was the off season we got a really good package deal with airfare via expedia.com.

Wonderful resort that I would definitely stay at again if we ever go back to St. Thomas.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank winexprt1969
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

Dear Winexprt,

Thank you very much for your review and for the kind words. We routinely share these remarks with our staff and I'm sure hearing about your experience will brighten the their day! I'm happy that you found your guest suite comfortable. It is common for us to host guests from neighboring Resorts for breakfast and dinner; I think word of the excellent cuisine at Blue Moon is getting around!

I look forward to hosting you again when your travels next take you to St. Thomas.

Reviewed 23 August 2010

We didn’t really want to stay on St. Thomas. We had loved it when we honeymooned there over 40 years ago, but when we returned for a day visit about 15 years ago, we found it too developed and too busy for our tastes. So recent trips to that part of the Caribbean have been to St. John and to the British Virgin Islands.

However, we needed someplace to pause between our non-stop flight from home to St. Thomas and our favorite BVI spot, and we decided that rather than simply overnight we would spend a few days on St. Thomas. We had read about Harbour Beach Resort, and it sounded as if it might be our kind of place.

It was.

Secret Harbour is on the East End of St. Thomas, so it is far from the bustle of Charlotte Amalie. It is close to the ferry hub of Red Hook which has the well stocked Marina Market and a variety of restaurants (including Molly Malone’s where we had a very enjoyable lunch) but is otherwise a quiet small town. Red Hook had all that we needed since our goals were to relax at the resort, prepare our own breakfasts and lunches, snorkel, and take a day trip to St. John,

And the resort turned out to be all that we had hoped for and then some. As surprising as it is to people that we talk to about our Caribbean travels, it is not easy to find hotel rooms right on a beach with calm water for swimming and snorkeling. So we were delighted to find that only a low wall and the sand separated our room from the turquoise water. That is not true of all of the rooms, so if your taste is like ours, make sure that you confirm your room location when you book. Of course, you may prefer one of the many other rooms that are beachfront on a second or third level.

The Blue Moon Cafe that adjoins the resort is not what one might think of as a “hotel restaurant.” Rather it is an excellent restaurant that happens to be right at the resort. Food and service are top notch, and prices are fair for such good quality. Like our room, it sits right on the beach. We found no reason to stray from the premises for dinner.

Straying would have been costly because a taxi to Red Hook would have been $5 per person or $20 round trip for the two of us. Charlotte Amalie would have been $12 per person or $48 round trip. We did not rent a car because we did not plan to wander around St. Thomas. But as others have commented, a car looks like a good choice if you plan to explore and don’t mind driving on the left on winding, hilly roads. I had thought from looking at maps and at the distances involved that walking – to another resort or beach or even as far as Red Hook - might be an option. But after hearing from a local that “You could walk, but I wouldn’t” and considering the hills to be climbed and lack of sidewalks or shoulders on the roads, we decided against it.

The palm lined beach and the water are lovely. We are avid snorkelers. The snorkeling at Secret Harbour was just enough to avoid disappointment but nothing special. The weather during our late June visit was unusually cloudy and rainy, and we knew that we would have good snorkeling when we got to the BVI, so while we enjoyed ourselves on St. Thomas and were able to get enough time in the water between cloud bursts, we did not pursue other snorkeling possibilities there. One that sounded good was an eco-tour with kayaking in the mangroves and snorkeling at a nearby cay. We signed up for that, but backed out when weather eliminated the snorkeling part.

Our condo was very attractive and comfortable. Kitchen equipment was extensive, and while did not do any serious cooking, we appreciated the blender and toaster. We would have liked to have been able to sleep with just the ceiling fan and fresh air, but keeping the ground-level sliding door open didn’t seem like a good idea, so we opted to use the efficient air conditioning.

Our only venture into Charlotte Amalie came at the end of the trip when our ferry from the BVI left us in town on the way back to the airport. It was a Sunday morning with no cruise ships in port, so almost nothing was open. We left our luggage at the ferry’s taxi stand and walked along the harbor to brunch at Bumpa’s, a very informal cafe, up a flight of stairs across from the harbor. We enjoyed some tasty dishes at a breezy table with a view. That ended a trip to St. Thomas that was very different than what many experience and very enjoyable.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank caribmike
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Dear CaribMike,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your kind words. We are very proud of our beach and Resort. Blue Moon Restaurant is indeed a very nice restaurant that serves excellent cuisine in a beautiful and comfortable atmosphere.

I will share your kind words with our team this week, and I'm sure your remarks will brighten their day! Thanks again and I hope to see you back soon,

Reviewed 18 August 2010

My sister and I stayed at the Secret Harbour Beach resort from August 11th through August 15th, 2010. We were surveying the property for her upcoming wedding she would like to plan on the island. We had booked a beachfront 1 bedroom suite and when we checked in we were put into a room that looked like it hadn't even had a fresh coat of paint in over 10 years on the walls. There were huge cracks in the bedroom and living room walls, the paint was peeling, the bathroom was super dated with really dirty grout, and there were cabinet doors in the kitchen literally hanging off the hinges! Paint on the walls had black fingerprints, dirt, and splatters in the kitchen all over them. The fridge was rusty and the even the kitchen garbage can was covered in rust. The A/C was on 70 degree F for over an hour and the room stayed hot and humid because it obviously wasn't working right. This type of rooom at the resort normally goes for about $500 per night in the high season, and I think we got an-off season rate of about $250 per night. Even at that rate, there was NO WAY we were staying in room #334- just a dump!
We went down to reception and they quickly showed us 3 other very nicely renovated rooms of the same type to change into. We picked room #432 and it was fine other than the rock hard bed and pillows. Had a really comfy sectional, super cold A/C, and a great view of the beautiful beach. Beach front suites are nice and large, so lots of room to spread out. I was pleased that we were able to switch into a nicer room ASAP and Claudette (I think that was her name) at the front desk was so sweet and friendly. However, my sister and I were very displeased that we got put in such a dumpy room in the first place if 3 other really nice ones were available at the same time. I was also displeased with the fact that they would try to put anyone in that room for the price they charge and that I had emailed the resort telling them we were surveying the property to possibly hold a wedding there next year and got no response when I requested that they confirm the reservation prior to our arrival and put us into a renovated room since I had heard the unrenovated ones were not nice at all.
In the end it worked out other than the really uncomfortable bed though, however, we would be hesitant to book a wedding there at this point knowing that some of the family and guests could be put into one of those unrenovated rusted over rooms with basically no A/C. Also the bedspreads are REALLY worn and dated on the beds- this was in both rooms. Internet was pretty slow most days as well. Definitely not high speed.
The beach is stunning, the service and food at the restaurant was wonderful (though we felt the dinners were VERY overpriced, breakfast was very reasonable for the large portions you got). Everyone who we came across that worked at the resort was so sweet and happy to help with anything we needed. The resort is just short cab ride away from Red Hook to catch the ferry to St. John or pick up groceries, and if the unrenovated rooms were improved and softer beds and pillows added to all the rooms, my sister would definitely do a wedding there due to the surrounding areas and spotlessly clean beach. The floating dock was also really cool and the bartender at the beach bar makes a great daquiri.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea H
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2010

Dear Ahumm,

Thank you for staying with us recently. I do appreciate your comments and want you to know your remarks about our guest suites have not fallen on deaf ears. I personally inspected unit 334 after I chatted with your wedding planner and read your comment card. I have made several recommendations to the owner of that unit to complete upgrades and he is very pleased to do so. In fact, some are already underway!

Please know that we are committed to ensuring a consistently comfortable and well maintained product here at Secret Harbour. By the end of the year, for example, we will have a new bedding package in all our guest suites, with a BEAUTIFUL bed and bedding inspired by the bedding programs of major hotel brands like Marriott, Westin, Hilton and Sheraton.
We have very committed owners who routinely re-invest in their properties and take a lot of pride. I have met with several personally who have gorgeous units, yet are looking to improve. I think that speaks volumes. I am confident on your next visit back you will see just how breathtaking our Resort is.

If I may be of service at all, please feel free to contact me at the Resort. 340-775-6550

Reviewed 5 August 2010

W went to St Thomas to celebrate my 60th birthday. We chose the Secret Harbour Resort because we needed 2 bedrooms, my sister decided to come along. the resort was nice enough and the view was very nice. The resort needs some updating but for the money it was okay. It was very clean but the maid service wasn't very good they just pulled the bedspead up without even pulling the sheets up so we could a big lump in the middle of the bed. The Blue Moon Cafe that is on the premises was outstanding we always had excellent food and outstanding service, the prices are a little high but that is to be expected, we had very good food. The front desk staff was not friendly most of the time so we dreaded going in to ask a question but we needed to because we had never been there. We took an Island Tour with Sunny Liston tours and our guide was Elvis and he was outstanding even though we were the only 3 on the tour that day he had us singing and clapping and we had such a good time, he showed us some breathtaking views. We enjoyed our tour and it was due to being entertained by Elvis. This was our first trip to St Thomas and we hope it will not be the last it is the most beautiful place we have ever seen. As far as the resort it was nice but I am not sure we would stay there again we didn't feel completely comfortable and it would have been nice to have a few more amenities. We went in the off season so that was a plus because it wasn't crowded.

1  Thank diamondgirl10
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2010

Hello and thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We very much appreciate sharing of your experiences. It is through comments like yours that we are able to identify areas of opportunity and improve our Resort.
I'm pleased that overall you had a positive experience, however please accept my apologies for the poor Housekeeping Service and lack of friendliness by the Guest Reception Team. Certainly these are basics of any hotel and Resort and I'm so sorry we failed to meet and exceed expectations. Please know that I have taken your comments to heart and will work to improve.
I do hope you give us another chance when your travels next carry you back to beautiful St. Thomas.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

I stayed from 7/21/10-7/26/10. We had a beach front room which was modest. If you left any food/drink out tiny little ant like bugs would swarm around it. Beds were hard as bricks. Morning staff (Black) in the restaurant seemed to be friendly. Evening staff (Caucasian) seemed very unfriendly. Breakfast was mediocre. Lunch and Dinner were nothing to write home about. Everything was way over priced. Eating out in Redhook was worth the price and better food. I loved our private beach. Snorkeling conditions were good. The water was calm. Proximity to Redhook and other beaches was good. Taxis charged per person which makes a trip costly. Jewelry shopping was great and is much cheaper (no taxes) than New York. Most people providing services seemed to be too laid back and slow with service. So slow that you will lose interest. Some taxi drivers seemed to be unfriendly. There was an essence of resentment towards tourists even though we were nice people. For the price we paid at this hotel it was sufficient accommodations. There were nicer hotels like the Frenchman Reef but it costs significantly more money and their beaches were very crowded with very big waves. I would stay there again to save money but if i wanted to treat myself to something nice i would go to Frenchman Reef, Ritz Carlton, or Wyndham.

Dear PYT019,

Thank you very for staying with us last month. I'm pleased you had a fine vacation on our island and hope you pays us another visit soon. I would like to apologize that the food in the restaurant was not up to expectations and also for the condition of the bedding. You might be interested to know that our Homeowners Association who owns the Resort are currently considering upgraded signature bedding for all the guest accommodations in the very near future. We look forward to finalizing this improvement.

My contact information at the Resort is 340-755-6550 x 280 if you would like to discuss your stay further. I am very happy to help in any way i can.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 29 July 2010

I spent the week of 19-25 July in a wonderful studio condo (411) at Secret Harbor. I could not have picked a better place. I loved it! I chose Secret Harbor because it is close to Red Hook and is on the southern portion of the island where I was hoping to get gorgeous sunsets.

Let me start by letting you know that I came down there alone… well, me and my camera for much needed relaxation and of course photography. The resort has one of the top restaurants (Blue Moon Café - don't let the term "cafe" fool you, it was island comfortable but very good) on the island so I knew I would not go hungry. They also have a great little bar that is known for it’s bloody mary’s, and yes, they were really good! Thank you Todd! In addition to all of that, I really wanted a place where I can step out of my condo/room and be on a beach. It is smaller then some of the other beaches but still roomy enough for you to have your own privacy. There were even secret little coves on the right side set up with lounge chairs if you really didn't want to be near anyone.

First, the condo. The first one that I was originally given was a little disappointing. It was pretty far from the beach even though they all have ocean views. It was outdated and did not have that tropical feel I was looking for. The bathroom really needed some “freshening up” with the grout, caulking, and walls. Some updated furniture and decorations would have probably also helped. In addition the air conditioner was so loud that if I wanted any sleep I would not be able to run it at night. I went back to the front desk, and luckily they found me a much more updated place closer to the water. It was just what I wanted.

You entered through huge glass sliding doors. I loved it! My studio was basically a big room with a king sized bed, sitting area and full size kitchen. It was tastefully decorated and gave me the feeling that I was in a wonderful tropical location (I know this sounds nerdy but I was on holiday). The kitchen was stocked with everything – toaster, microwave, full stove, coffee maker, dishes, pots, pans, utensils, etc. The reason I chose to stay in a condo type place was specifically for the kitchen. I did not plan to eat every meal there but at least have it available for breakfast, sandwiches, and other snacks.

As I walked the path to the other side of the beach, I was able to look into some of the one (maybe two, but I don’t really know) bedroom units. The majority of what I saw were very, very nice with granite, stainless steel, etc. I just did not need that much room.

I’ve read reviews about the staff being somewhat unfriendly. I did not experience that at all. Every person I came in contact with was friendly and very nice to me. I especially loved my housekeeper who had such a great disposition. She came in and changed the towels only twice because I didn’t need her to do anything else. I made my own bed, washed my dishes, and didn’t need anything. However, she came by each day just to check on me.

The location was exactly what I wanted. It was approximately a mile from the Red Hook ferry which I planned to use a lot to get to other islands for more then half my trip. I decided not to rent a car so I was dependent on taxi’s but it was fine. The front desk called a taxi whenever one was needed and the longest I had to wait was about 10 minutes. Taxi’s were everywhere in Red Hook. Total cost from Secret Harbor to Red Hook was $6.00 ($5 plus $1 for a tip). I know that sounds outrageous but I didn’t want to rent a car to just take me back and forth when I could pay $12 round trip.

The Blue Moon Bar was awesome and my little “hang out” after a day of exploring. The bar and restaurant are both open-air. The food, drinks (bloody mary’s), and atmosphere were great. The servings of food were large and reasonably priced.... considering you are in the Caribbean. I did not have any “formal” meals there but I can highly recommend the mahi sandwich ($12.00) and the French fries. I don’t normally eat French fries but these were really good. The seating was right there on the water looking out over it. One evening they had a performer play the steel drums. With a near full moon, stars in the sky, and the music, it completed my stay.

There was a pool but I never used it so I can’t comment on it. Why bother when there is the beautiful Caribbean at your doorstep. At least that is my opinion.

The beach and grounds were impeccably groomed and well taken care of. I never saw trash anywhere. Yes, there are lizards running around but they were not a threat. Although there were no lifeguards, per se, there were members of the staff sitting out and watching over everything.

I believe that all condo’s have free wireless internet. Although not the quickest (probably slower when more people were using it), it did help out. There is also a computer in the lobby that you could use. I think there is a fee though.

Finally, the beach. The dive shop had everything you may need for pretty much anything you wanted to do in the water. They even set up a parasailing trip which I jumped on (for $20) to take photos. The boat came right into the harbor and picked you up. If you didn’t want to swim out, they had paddle boats that you can ride out and jump on the boat. This was helpful with my camera gear.

There were beach chairs, lounge chairs, and hammocks scattered about. There were lots of trees if you wanted to be in the shade. The bar/café was right there if you wanted food or something to drink. I really knew I made the right choice when I heard or met other people who were staying elsewhere but came here to spend the day.

I did see the Ritz and Marriott and although looked wonderful, they just did not have the same feel as Secret Harbor. In my opinion it was truly the better choice. I personally loved it and will be back.

In summary, if you wanted to just enjoy the beach and never leave Secret Harbor resort,you could since it had everything you needed. If you wanted to get out and about, it was still a good location. It was close enough to the golf course, Red Hook, the ferry, Magens Bay, etc.

I hope my review and photos help other travelers who are considering Secret Harbor. You are also more then welcome to send me a personal email if you have specific questions.
Note: I'm only able to submit 10 photos here but will try to figure out how to submit more....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank WorldWanderer99
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Secret Harbour is the place to go if you want a private beach and you don't want the "all inclusive" type of environment. Driving there can be treacherous, especially if you arrive at STT after dark (the sun set around 6PM when we were there in July). There are a couple of sharp turns you have to make without much warning or visible landmarks, and to add to the challenge you drive in the left lane in a US-made car (i.e., steering wheel on the left). Once you get there, though, you'll probably feel like it was worth the white knuckle ride, though.
Despite some of the previous reviewers' comments, we found the staff to be quite friendly, with the only exception being a housekeeper who demanded to know why she couldn't clean the room before we were ready to flip the sign. Whatever. We stayed in a Beachfront One Bedroom Suite, which is definitely worth the upgrade for two but not a way to save money if you're thinking about letting anyone sleep on the hide-a-bed. i pulled it out so i could watch TV in the living room and i ended up having to stack all the couch pillows on top of the mattress itself just to be stabilized. frankly i couldn't imagine sleeping an entire night on this contraption without calling my chiropractor the next day.
Speaking of amenities, this is where Secret Harbour cheaps out. The tissue is like sandpaper (I knew when the brand name was "Tork" I was in trouble), the steam iron is so old it doesn't have a water level indicator and the microwave turntable is so weak it won't rotate if you set anything heavier than a coffee cup on it. The water pressure is terrible and they don't have a water filter so you need to stock up. There is a Pepsi machine with Aquafina downstairs if you're in a pinch but the gift shop does not keep reliable hours.
On the bright side, there is the view. It's awesome. Also the beach is private and they provide towels and nerf noodles for you to float on. We never had an issue finding poolside chairs or umbrellas, either. The restaurant is decent for dinner (I heard complaints about their breakfast but never tried it myself) and there are nearby options down the road in Red Hook as well. I would also recommend getting a massage during the stay. Heidi is very experienced and she lends a medicinal perspective to the session.
In the end, I would probably stay here again. To anyone else who's pondering it I would say be sure and get a rental car (ideally compact SUV) and don't fall for Hertz's scam where they sell you an entire tank of gas in advance for a discount price - we drove all over the island and went thru a quarter tank total.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
Mafolie Hotel
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!