Ok, let me start off by saying that this is the second time that we have stayed at Secret Harbour. We were there two years ago and got married right on the beach at the resort and the wedding was BEAUTIFUL!! Mostly everything during our first stay there was amazing - the hospitality of the staff, our suite, the property, etc. The only problem that we DID experience was that there was apparently a problem with the water and they had signs up telling us not to go in, which sucked. We chose this place specifically for the beach and protected harbour and we could not go in the water most of our stay. The people that DID go in came out with some kind of rash. Yuck. Because of all of these problems, Ernest, the manager, gave us and everyone in our party comp nights to use by July of 2007. Which is one of the reasons we decided to come back for our 2 year anniversary with our new son and some friends.
Well, what we had hoped would be GREAT vacation this time around, started out badly and just went downhill from there. The day we got there to check in, they told us that there was a "problem" with our room and when we asked what kind of problem, they told us that it was a "mechanical problem"....whatever that is. Because of this, we could not check in there that day, but they booked us at the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort for the night - everything was on them - including the cab ride there. This was the same for another couple that was there with us in our group. So, out of 7 of us in our group, only 3 of us were staying in Secret Harbour that night...we were all separated. We were annoyed, but what could we do? We got the cab to the Wyndham and found out that we were on the 7th floor (we have a baby and a stroller that we would have to lug up and down from the 7th to the ground floor and back). So, that sucked. THEN, as if that were not enough, the people at the front desk did not seem to know ANYTHING about the supposed arrangements with Secret Harbour and was asking my husband to pay for that night's stay. I don't think so!!! So after getting all of that squared away, we went to our room, which was ok, but the floors were filthy (that is for another review of the Sugar Bay). Anyway, we wake up the next day and called Secret Harbour to find out if our rooms were ready for us. They said that they would be ready by 1:00 pm so we decided to go back, place our bags in our friend's room (the ones that stayed there the night before) and hang out at the bar until the rooms were ready. We did that, and around 1:00 went to the front desk to check in and they tell us that the rooms STILL were not ready. Everyone was furious at this point. I asked if ours was a ground floor suite right on the beach (which is what I had booked) and they told me no, that they only had a 3rd Floor suite available and that they were very sorry. Once again, having to lug the baby and stroller up and down all those flights of stairs (there is no elevator there....). So I was pretty pissed off now. They had already given me the key for the room and I asked if I just take my bags there awhile, while the workers were still in the room. They said fine. I ended up talking to a manager that was near my room and she was not giving up any information as to what happened, although she DID tell me after some persuasion that they had apparently had a "rowdy group" there the night before and they had to fix some things in the room. Ok, whatever. Our friends' room was not ready until I do not know when that night. We ended up finding out from some other guests that frequent the resort, that they had actually overbooked the rooms and that is why we could not get into ours. Nice huh? They could have just told us the truth.
After all of this mess, we thought that we were in the clear , well, we were very wrong. Our ceiling in our bedroom leaked when it rained (which was every single morning) - right above the headboard to the bed, and our friend's room, which was right next door sharing a common wall, had a pretty serious leak in the bathroom ceiling as well. Everything else was ok, the bar, the restaurant, the suite - minus the leaky ceiling, the beach and the even water this time. We only had one other problem and that was our last day there. We had called the night before to ask for extended checkout and they told me that they do not do that there. The sign on the wall in our suite beside the door said checkout was at 12 noon. So, needless to say that is when we planned to check out the next day since our flight was only at 4pm. Well, at about 5 after 11:00 in our day of departure, the front desk calls asking us if we would be checking out that day. We told them yes but that checkout was at 12, the corrected us and said that no, it was now 11 am and that was the policy. By this time, my husband was pretty furious and gave the girl a hard time. She said that she would have asked for extended checkout...WHAT??? We thought that you do not do that??? My husband hung up the phone and a few minutes later Ernest called back and told us that we could check out at 12 noon if that is what we needed to do. All in all, this was not a good experience. Everyone was soooo nice last time we were there, hospitable and everything, but not so much this time around. Beware when staying here....even though it IS a beautiful piece of property!! What a shame.....next time I think we will be going to St. Croix!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secret Harbour is currently closed due to hurricane Irma Secret Harbour is a boutique all-beachfront condominium resort on the Caribbean US Virgin Island of St. Thomas. The resort is situated on the island's Southeast shore on a palm-tree shaded swimming/snorkeling beach with pristine Caribbean blue water and sugary sand offering tranquil and water sport vacations with superb amenities. The all-beachfront property features 48 uniquely furnished condominiums on the ocean that are individually owned and resort managed. Each condominium is a spacious studio, 1- or 2-bedroom beachfront suite with fully equipped kitchen and private patio/balcony. Amenities include: 2 restaurants; PADI dive center with scuba diving, excursion boats, sailing and watersport rentals; freshwater pool; tennis courts; fitness center; gift shop; ATM & spa services. The intimate resort is ideal for families, couples, watersport & diving enthusiasts, visiting executives, and those seeking a tropical destination wedding, honeymoon or event. Bonus amenities include free Wi-Fi, onsite concierge, and wedding/event coordinator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Secret Harbour Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Harbour Beach Hotel Benner
- Hotel Secret Harbour Beach