“Good Choice in St Thomas”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
New York
“Good Choice in St Thomas”
Reviewed 11 August 2007

My bf and I spent one night at Secret Harbour on our way over to St. John. We chose this hotel based on the positive reviews we read on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed.

Check-in was smooth and a hotel employee helped us take our bags to our room. We booked an oceanfront studio and it was plenty of room for the 2 of us. I believe we were in building 3 so there were a few sets of stairs we had to climb to get to our room (not so fun lugging the suitcases when we were checking out). This is something you may want to consider if you book the rooms that are up on the hill...it was extremely hot and having to go up to those rooms would not have been fun.

We realized that the alarm clock was off and the lamps in the main room were not working. A call to concierge quickly got that issue resolved.

What we really enjoyed about this hotel is that it is away from all the craziness of Charlotte Amalie. When we went to the beach, there were only a few other people there, so it was peaceful to hang out. We really enjoyed the quiet and privacy (we definitely like to party, but its nice to have quiet every once in a while). The snorkeling was also pretty good.

For dinner, we highly recommend Duffy's Love Shack. I had read good reviews about it, so we decided to check it out. As we were there for only one night, we didnt bother renting a car. We went to the hotel lobby and they called a cab for us which was there in minutes (and yes, as everyone says, cabs in USVI are pricey since they charge per person). Duffy's Love Shack was literally in a parking lot, but you honestly completely forgot about that due to the atmosphere. The service was friendly, quick, and the food and drinks were REALLY good. They also played some great lively music as well.

We checked out the Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbour for breakfast the next morning. The food there was pretty good and the service was good too (I braced myself for "island time" service but was surprised at how quickly our food came out). The hostess and waiters there were extremely friendly as well.

Overall, we were happy with Secret Harbour and would stay again if we were to return.

• Liked — Allowed for privacy
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bo28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
PA
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Ok, let me start off by saying that this is the second time that we have stayed at Secret Harbour. We were there two years ago and got married right on the beach at the resort and the wedding was BEAUTIFUL!! Mostly everything during our first stay there was amazing - the hospitality of the staff, our suite, the property, etc. The only problem that we DID experience was that there was apparently a problem with the water and they had signs up telling us not to go in, which sucked. We chose this place specifically for the beach and protected harbour and we could not go in the water most of our stay. The people that DID go in came out with some kind of rash. Yuck. Because of all of these problems, Ernest, the manager, gave us and everyone in our party comp nights to use by July of 2007. Which is one of the reasons we decided to come back for our 2 year anniversary with our new son and some friends.

Well, what we had hoped would be GREAT vacation this time around, started out badly and just went downhill from there. The day we got there to check in, they told us that there was a "problem" with our room and when we asked what kind of problem, they told us that it was a "mechanical problem"....whatever that is. Because of this, we could not check in there that day, but they booked us at the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort for the night - everything was on them - including the cab ride there. This was the same for another couple that was there with us in our group. So, out of 7 of us in our group, only 3 of us were staying in Secret Harbour that night...we were all separated. We were annoyed, but what could we do? We got the cab to the Wyndham and found out that we were on the 7th floor (we have a baby and a stroller that we would have to lug up and down from the 7th to the ground floor and back). So, that sucked. THEN, as if that were not enough, the people at the front desk did not seem to know ANYTHING about the supposed arrangements with Secret Harbour and was asking my husband to pay for that night's stay. I don't think so!!! So after getting all of that squared away, we went to our room, which was ok, but the floors were filthy (that is for another review of the Sugar Bay). Anyway, we wake up the next day and called Secret Harbour to find out if our rooms were ready for us. They said that they would be ready by 1:00 pm so we decided to go back, place our bags in our friend's room (the ones that stayed there the night before) and hang out at the bar until the rooms were ready. We did that, and around 1:00 went to the front desk to check in and they tell us that the rooms STILL were not ready. Everyone was furious at this point. I asked if ours was a ground floor suite right on the beach (which is what I had booked) and they told me no, that they only had a 3rd Floor suite available and that they were very sorry. Once again, having to lug the baby and stroller up and down all those flights of stairs (there is no elevator there....). So I was pretty pissed off now. They had already given me the key for the room and I asked if I just take my bags there awhile, while the workers were still in the room. They said fine. I ended up talking to a manager that was near my room and she was not giving up any information as to what happened, although she DID tell me after some persuasion that they had apparently had a "rowdy group" there the night before and they had to fix some things in the room. Ok, whatever. Our friends' room was not ready until I do not know when that night. We ended up finding out from some other guests that frequent the resort, that they had actually overbooked the rooms and that is why we could not get into ours. Nice huh? They could have just told us the truth.

After all of this mess, we thought that we were in the clear , well, we were very wrong. Our ceiling in our bedroom leaked when it rained (which was every single morning) - right above the headboard to the bed, and our friend's room, which was right next door sharing a common wall, had a pretty serious leak in the bathroom ceiling as well. Everything else was ok, the bar, the restaurant, the suite - minus the leaky ceiling, the beach and the even water this time. We only had one other problem and that was our last day there. We had called the night before to ask for extended checkout and they told me that they do not do that there. The sign on the wall in our suite beside the door said checkout was at 12 noon. So, needless to say that is when we planned to check out the next day since our flight was only at 4pm. Well, at about 5 after 11:00 in our day of departure, the front desk calls asking us if we would be checking out that day. We told them yes but that checkout was at 12, the corrected us and said that no, it was now 11 am and that was the policy. By this time, my husband was pretty furious and gave the girl a hard time. She said that she would have asked for extended checkout...WHAT??? We thought that you do not do that??? My husband hung up the phone and a few minutes later Ernest called back and told us that we could check out at 12 noon if that is what we needed to do. All in all, this was not a good experience. Everyone was soooo nice last time we were there, hospitable and everything, but not so much this time around. Beware when staying here....even though it IS a beautiful piece of property!! What a shame.....next time I think we will be going to St. Croix!!

Stayed July 2007
8 Thank hdchickie
lexington,kentucky
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I want to start this review stating that I am an independent travel agent and I researched all resorts in St. Thomas-St. John area along with attractions, restaurants, etc, etc. Secret Harbour is Terrific!! My wife and I stayed in a 1 bedroom condo July 12-20. One does not have to leave the resort if this is what you want because it has all the ammenities you need! Great restaurant, The Blue Moon. The service is great and the food is even better!!The yellow fin tuna is to die for. Also, the bar has all of those great rum-drinks that will get you in the down island mood and the Managers party on Tuesday nights is a touch of class!! The rooms are very clean and Mary, our housekeeper changed our towels daily and our bed sheets when needed! Earnest, the manager, is always out and about which is rare for the boss to be mixing with customers and employees alike. It really is family when you go to Secret Harbour!! I I assure you when I go back to St. Thomas I will just stay in one place and that will be Secret Harbour Resort!!

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank bluegrasspirate
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We stayed at the Secret Harbour Beach Resort from July 1 through July 10 for our honeymoon. It was fantastic. We arrived just after dark. Check in took only a few minutes, and the front desk had someone show us to our room and help us with our bags. The room was great. We were in an oceanfront room (433) with a balcony. It had a large living room and bedroom with a kitchen and small dinette. The room also came with a safety deposit box for our valuables. The units are individually owned so décor varies from unit to unit. Ours was a little dated, but very clean and comfortable and it had everything that we needed including dishes and cookware. The staff cleaned the room each day and did the dishes even late in the day. The beach was never crowded and was raked every morning. We never had a problem finding a chair or shade. The water was always calm and the snorkeling was pretty good. There are rocks and coral on either side of the beach and you can see many types of fish. The food at the Blue Moon Café was very good, tough pricey. But no more so than anyplace else on the island. We liked the resort so much that we almost didn’t go out on a few days when we had plans. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007
3 Thank haasmail2006
Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2007

My husband and I went there on our honeymoon and it was amazing. The beach is beautiful and it was never very busy and we always were able to get a lounge chair and had plenty of space to spread out. Our room was amazing, we stayed in 115, which is a 2 bedroom condo and we were upgraded for free! It had a full kitchen 2 really nice tiled bathrooms and large living room. But the best part is we asked for beach front and literally got it! We had a patio that opened up directly onto the beach! The blue moon had wonderful food and you can eat at the cafe while at the beach. The staff was very nice and attentive. The maids were so nice they even washed our dishes! While wew don't have any kids, it would be a great place to take them because the beach is pretty much private and you can see from one end to the other easily-it would be hard to lose track of them there.
What make this place so great is that you don't have the cruise ships and people around...it is a small cab fair into Red Hook and there is places to eat and a grocery store there, just like home. For about 20 bucks you can get a cab into charlotte Amalie where there is plenty of shopping and things to do. We also visited Magen's Bay which is one of the top 10 beaches in the world-I would suggest to get over there because it deserves it's ranking!! And get the cabby to stop at the look out points over there, the pictures came out amazing.
Overall I would suggest anyone interested in going to St. Thomas to stay at the Secret Harbor, we loved it and can't wait to come back.

• Liked — size of room and beachfront location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank honeymoon730
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2007

We had a great time at Secrets Harbour - We were there from 6/16 to 6/23. It was me, my husband and 2 children, 10 and 12. The resort was very nice and the staff was pleasant and accommodating. We had no problems at all. It seemed very secluded and quiet. The beach was nice and the Blue Moon Cafe had excellent food. They did have a kids menu for the kids which was nice. They have a managers cocktail party on tuesday's which includes snacks and free rum punch! We pretty much went grocery shopping when we arrived and had our breakfast for the most part in the room daily and packed our lunch for the beaches but we did go out to dinner every evening. We ate dinner at the Blue Moon twice. We also enjoyed eating at Molly Malones and Off the Hook right in Red Hook. On tuesday nights, Iggies has all you can eat crab legs which was good also!The groceries are a bit pricy but we packed stuff right in our luggage and took it along! Of course you have to buy fresh things there and they do get costly - milk is $6 a gallon and bread is $4 a loaf but for the most part I think we saved some money doing our own breakfasts. We went out to lunch a couple of times. Our favorite beach spot was Coki Beach - where going into the water is just like being dropped into a fish aquarium - we LOVED it - you can get dog biscuits right there on the beach to feed the fish - you get 4 biscuits for a $1 but the second time we went we went to the market ourselves and got a whole box of dog bones for $4 and fed the fish all day while we were there - it was amazing and something you HAVE to see if you are there. Another great must visit spot was Magen's Bay! Beautiful is all I can say! I found out a good day to visit Coki or Magen's is sunday because there are no cruise ships in town which the beaches can get VERY crowded on the days the cruise ships dock usually starting around 10:30. All in all we truly enjoyed our stay in St. Thomas and Secrets Harbour and would go back again. The ONLY thing I would change for next time is that we stayed in building #7 room 731 at the top of the hill - so if you are out of shape or elderly it can be quite a hike back from the beach at the resort all up hill! I would want to stay in one of the buildings closer to the beach but building 7 was not too far from the pool which was also quiet and empty! It was just a beautiful place to visit! We had a wonderful time - oh don't forget to pack bug spray because those little guys can really get bothersome!

• Liked — The rooms were all suites and nice and roomy!
  • Disliked — Being on the top of the hill was tough! Especially climbing back up from the beach after a long hot day carrying your beach stuff!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank gmm103
United States
Reviewed 25 June 2007

Family of 5 stayed 6 nights in early June at Secret Harbour, beachfront, 2 bedroom. The “stay 5 nights, get 6th free” rate was a good deal. Our unit was fairly recently renovated. Great kitchen with everything we needed (dishes, utensils, pots/pans, toaster, blender, microwave, dishwasher). There was handwash dish soap, but not automatic dishwasher detergent, but I wonder if this varies on the unit (individually owned for the most part, I think).Very clean, but we killed quite a few mosquitos and a couple of roaches the first day. We found that if we made a concerted effort to close the doors quickly when entering, they seemed to not be a problem thereafter. The beach was good (kept nice and clean) with beach chairs and umbrellas for guests in addition to shade provided by palm trees. The snorkeling was very good (more for the many fish, turtles, stingray, eel, etc., rather than the coral which is quite damaged here.) Pool was also nice, and not at all crowded while we were there. Beach towels provided; just trade in for fresh ones when needed. The staff members were nice. Front desk check-in and occasional questions – very good. We tried to take a Discover Scuba lesson at the dive shop on site, but they forgot our scheduled appointment, so we ended up not re-scheduling. There was a nice Manager’s Reception on Tuesday night, nothing extravagant, but nice touch – had Rum punch, fruit punch, and munchies. Hotel is located very near Red Hook, though walking into “town” would have been difficult, not due to distance, but due to curvy roads and fast-moving traffic. With our rental vehicle, could be at Red Hook for ferry to St. John or groceries in minutes. Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank VacaBird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
#4 of 5 in East End
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!