“Great Day”

Historic Center of Cesky Krumlov
Book In Advance
US$352.92*
and up
Private Return Day Trip from Linz to Cesky Krumlov: Transportation Only or...
US$105.32*
Private Winter Cesky Krumlov and Castle Museum Day Trip from Prague
US$183.83*
and up
Private Luxury Transfer to Cesky Krumlov from Prague Including Introduction to...
Tampa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great Day”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We took a day trip from Germany to Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic. If you drive, you're required to purchase a sticker for your car at a gas station upon entering. It costs about 11 Euros. Overall, we enjoyed our visit. It's very touristy and full of tour groups, but it's a beautiful town worth a visit. A compact place, we walked around for about an hour, had lunch, then headed back to Germany since we had a 3 hour drive back to Berchtesgaden, Germany where we were staying. We found the prices to be less than some of the surrounding western European counties like Austria and Germany. The locals seemed quite friendly and polite.

1 Thank TGreeneTampa

55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Stay a night or two”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We arrived Sunday night and left Tuesday morning. while a lot is closed on Mondays it was still a highlight of our European trip. The Czech Republic has done an excellent job restoring it authentically.

Cesky Krumlov is like walking through a medieval fairytale. I felt like Robin Hood or some knights on horseback could arrive at any moment.

Be sure to do the town tour offered at the Info center. Do the full 1 1/2 hour tour and learn lots of interesting tidbits.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Nina A
Sofia, Bulgaria
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

One of the most beautiful places in Czech Republic. Go and visit it. You can do it for a day trip or stay a night in one of the many cosy pansions along the Vltava river and enjoy the place and local beer longer.

2 Thank espoir2103
Oxford, United Kingdom
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,249 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Visit”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We recently spent two nights in Cesky Krumlov, with one day to explore the town. The centre of the town is closed to nearly all traffic and easy to walk around. The skyline is dominated by the Castle and the Church, with the Vltava river forming an S shape around the middle of town and the Castle. There are numerous shops, bars and restaurants along the cobbled streets and main square, and along the river bank but a day is more than enough to see everything. We spent 20-30 minutes in both the Church and the monastery gardens, with just over 3 hours at the Castle. The rest of the time was spent wandering aimlessly by the river and through the streets admiring the views and the preserved buildings.

We had a very enjoyable day in Cesky Krumlov, the only downside being that with its reputation it is very popular with tourists and there were a large number of tour groups in the town when we were there.

Cesky Krumlov is also a useful base to explore other attractions in the region eg Holesovice, Hluboka, Ceske Budejovice, Rozmberk. Vyssi Brod etc

Overall though, Cesky Krumlov is well worth spending a day/night at if you are in visiting the region/Czech Republic

5 Thank fatbear2000
HK
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Easy day trip, no need to stay over night; Use Student Agency bus”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I've been meaning to write this post for a while and want to include as much info as possible on how to get there. Firstly Cesky Krumblov (CK) is totally doable as a day trip. No need to stay overnight. I spent 5 days in Prague and I very comfortably managed CK in a day trip with an hour or two to spare before my return.
To get there go on the student agency website (www.studentagency.cz) to book your ticket, very easy process and efficient. Ticket one way cost me just ~8 Eur for a 3 hour comfortable bus ride with a free beverage and private entertainment console. Make sure you pick the newer buses to avail this! I left from Prague by the 7 am bus just hop into a taxi and get to the bus stand, you cannot miss the bright yellow buses ( see attached picture )
The journey is 3 hours approx but I think we were running late by 30-45 mins or so because there was a road block.
Once there everything is intuitive, so no worry! There is an amazing creperie there please try it, as you will be hungry once you get here and it was delicious!! ( pic attached) Once there spend time at the museum, climb up the tower for breathtaking views, do some souvenir shopping or just wander about and soak in the atmosphere.
To get back to Prague my bus was booked for a return journey at 5pm and ~330pm realized I mistakenly reserved a wrong connection, the general office by the entrance allowed me to use their wifi and I called the toll free number printed on the Student Agency ticket and asked the customer service to help me with my booking. Very helpful and not only did they change my connection, they put me on an earlier bus because I was done with my sightseeing. The bus on the return trip was not as new, but did have a toilet inside. However the museum in CK also have clean restrooms so no need to panic!
That's pretty much from me on how to get here and time needed! its a perfect choice for a day trip not too long, the journey is not exhausting, extremely comfortable, you will not regret it!