“Disappointed with the rooms”
Review of Penzion Gardena

Penzion Gardena
Ranked #6 of 142 Cesky Krumlov B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We had booked a large room / suite overlooking the castle. However, on arrival, we were put into 2 small rooms which were very ordinary and had no castle view. When we took it up with the management we were told that some other guests had booked for four nights and hence hence they couldn't give us the suite that we had booked. This was ridiculous...

while the lady was apologetic and offered us a discount of 10 euros, it was not good enough.

The rooms are tiny and bathrooms are tinier...with two suitcases on the floor, there was no room to walk around.

Now the positives: very close to the bus station, nicely located on a hill, you can walk to the castle and the town square. Breakfast was good. Am a vegetarian and loved the wholesome breakfast.
Despite the room goof-up, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Be sure of the room number that you book, what we got was very bad rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a double room.I had just broken my ankle so I stayed in the room.Comfortable large room.
Good breakfast with lots of varietyFree secure parking onsight Good location close to old towm (5 min walk)Only downside -it was quite noisy,street noise and guests.Maybe a room at the back would have been quieter.Host friendly and spoke good english

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I came for a workshop in the winter and it was just perfect, though a note...if you are placed in a room upstairs bring luggage you can lug up windy stairs, there is no elevator and the stair cases higher up wind around. My suitcase was a bit painful to get up and down. But the place has a ton of charm, great breakfast, amazingly friendly owner who is very accommodating and offers a lot of information. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

It was very clean, warm, good wifi connection. I was on the top floor corner room on the left hand side which had two beds. The ceilings in the tops rooms are slanted, so be aware if you are tall you'll be slouching a lot or hitting your head. I'm short and still clocked myself a couple times.

The walk to the center of town and to the bus station are 5 min (if you aren't lugging a bunch of luggage). The bus station is pretty desolate at the evening or early morning hours so when you get off the bus, just follow the bus parking area in the direction of the castle, you'll see a hill in front of you and a very small sign pointing up the hill toward the center of town. Follow the path up the hill, then down the hill when you reach the cobblestone road, Gardena will be on your left.

I was very happy with my stay.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor corner room on the left hand side which had two beds. The ceilings in the top...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Melmel79
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I booked hotel for a 2-night stay. Much to my regret, I was forced to cancel the reservation on the same day. I promised myself I would book again as soon as I had the chance to head to the lovely town I had read so much about. Little did I know the cancellation didn't come through.
When the time came for justyfying why I didn't show up, the hotel charged me the whole fee of my stay with absolutely no sign of understanding. I will eventually make it to Cezky Krumlov but will surely stay away from this bitter staffed hotel. Far from kind, polite or professional if you think about it.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

A superb B&B across the road from the historic centre of Cesky Krumlov. The rooms are spacious, very clean and well sppointed. The house is decorated with antiques and collectibles a in every nook and cranny. The breakfast selection is very broad and caters to all tastes. Our host Vlaclav is very friendly and helpful and speaks good English, much better than he thinks he can. Altogether one of the best places I have stayed at in terms of quality and value.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Wayne H
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The hotel has 2 building.The main building is just outside the city center but you can walk and the other one is in the city center. When we arrived we checked in at the main building and park here after that the staff(may be he is an owner)take us to the other building.
We got the apartment room in the city center building which we love this place so much.It's near the river and it's the old building but new decoration.
Everything here is very good,more than we expected.
I surely recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NuNeung
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I'm going to stay here next time, maybe in few years?
the price was just more than reasonable, I felt like I needed to pay more and I still doubt how you can get a profit from it.
nice location and really nice people and especially I adored the room at the top floor.
breakfast was also good.

Room Tip: the highest floor is the best one, I think. I liked the interior design ; cozy, cute.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family