“Grand Hotel Poop (it was too easy ;)”
Review of Grandhotel Pupp

Grandhotel Pupp
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

We were nearing the end of a long trip through Europe. After seeing several films use this hotel, we thought it was for us. Excitement was high as we drove into town. Unfortunately one must remember that films can make the ugliest of things beautiful. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel, it was disastrous. The bellman asked rather incredulously if he could help us as we pulled up on our car. Then he asked if we has reservations. Then he ran inside and came back and asked for our name like we had made a huge mistake! We were led through a maze to reception after waiting for someone to assist us. Reception was lacking and rude. We got to our room which was tiny. There were stains on the floor and a dead bug on the bed. We complained. They offered to send up housekeeping. Not good enough. I frankly said if we werent shown a clean and sufficient room, we would look elsewhere (its off season and barely anyone was around). The man at the desk was more than happy to go that route! Nobody cared that we were dissatisfied. We were shown to a room that lacked a view. It was larger which I guess was supposed to satisfy us. A dump is a dump regardless of size. Bundle up- the heating is awful and there isn't central air. The staff is laughably unhelpful and offensive. After staying in the Four Seasons, I felt like I was thrown to the wolves. The room felt like a roadside motel 6 in Amarillo. I felt dirty being there. Cheap furniture. Bad smells in the room. Suspicious stains ALL over. The lobby isn't as grand as one would think. If it weren't going to be such a pain, I genuinely would have left. We did have a nice cake in the cafe however! Not great but okay. I wouldn't stay here again and I'm beyond disappointed. It's old and moldy and there was a dead bug on a bed in our room!!! I could go on and on for ages but you get the point... The Pupp and the whole of Karlovy Vary isn't American friendly either.

• Stayed: November 2012
23  Thank 7continentsby25
There are newer reviews for Grandhotel Pupp

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I agree with the comments in several other reviews about service, furnishings etc. But as the ex-USSR still provides so many of the visitors to this town — in complete contrast to Prague — one should not expect the Pupp to be quite like a Western luxury hotel. In some ways it is still the Grandhotel Moskva, its name in the communist period. The building, of course, is unforgettably magnificent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Carette G
Reviewed 3 November 2012

A classic mistake of old grand palaces's is to relax in the knowledge that you've always been here, you are the largest, and you are at the centre, and forefront of of your town or city, therefore you don't need to be the best or the first, and the The Hotel Pupp is showing these signs.
Firstly, this is without doubt the finest and grandest of Hotels. The dinning and drinking areas are beautiful, and I suspect much of the Hotel we didn't see is classic, majestic, and surrounded in the history and finery afforded of this 300year old masterpiece. Never the less, we booked a 300euro junior suite which whilst one of the largest hotel suites you will ever stay in, looked bland, tired and frayed around the ears.
We arrived late in the evening, so perhaps we were not offered the best suite, (room 244) but light bulbs were in places not working, the mini bar 'all complimentary' was not switched on, though well stocked, you couldn't drink the warm contents, and when we looked behind the cupboard storing it, there were perhaps eight plugs in one socket " a fire hazard' I wonder?
No pictures on the wall at all, wallpaper peeling, creaking floorboards, and ancient and far from fine, Art Deco furniture. No tea or coffee provided, and a modest sized tv, with no music facility was not perhaps what you could expect for the price.

Never the less, most fittings were solid and well made, with glorious high ceilings, and big solid wardrobes. Plenty of storage if you are staying a while, and a huge bathroom with separate shower, along with an additional toilet off the lounge area.
Views from the windows are spectacular looking the length of this wonderful town.

The Hotel itself is glamorous and classy, and the service perfect. (Other reviewers give details)
In defence of the Hotel, renovation is taking place, so perhaps out of season maintenance might mean we were simply unfortunate to have had this room, that's why I am not marking the Hotel harshly. I would certainly stay again, as the situation, views and location of the Hotel is of course first class, and we only stayed the one night, leaving after breakfast without a good look around.
I suspect the rest of the Hotel to be outstanding.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrB1967
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The 5 Star Grand Hotel Pupp was not as excellent as I thought it would be while there on a 3 night stay recently. The photos and James Bond/Hollywood connections which are hosted on the Hotel's Facebook page alongside the rich history gave me the expectation that I would be in for something special; in reality, the overall experience was underwhelming.

The Hotel building itself is very nice with a beautiful facade and splended lounges and dining rooms. Everything looks grand and luxurious and there is a real sense of history when you spend some time relaxing in these rooms. The long hallways that stretch along the various arms of the hotel could feel institutional; however, they are given a contemporary and relaxed feel with some large photographic portraits of famous actors. All of these public areas were very clean and tidy except for some tables, wheelchairs etc stashed at the bottom of the stairwells.

Unfortunately, although the first room we were given was very large, we were surprised with how old the furniture, wallpaper and carpets were. There was no shower curtain in the bathroom which is strange for a 5 Star Hotel and the mattress on the bed was very bouncy. After the first night, we politely asked for an alternative room and were allocated one of the renovated twin rooms which was much better (plus shower curtain!). The view from each of the rooms was not so good, looking out to steep woodland to the back of the hotel. Only the more expensive rooms have a view of the town.

Pupp are building a new Royal Spa due to open next year. This is good because the current spa/relaxation area is very small with tiny changing rooms. Although the spa brochure said the Hotel were doing their "utmost to avoid disruption", heavy construction work began daily at 07:30 which I found unacceptable.

The breakfast was OK, but not as good as other cheaper hotels we stayed at in the area, either side of our stay at Pupp.

The main disappointment for me was the staff. The quality of service we encountered was consistently below standard for a 5*. There was rarely a smile from any of the staff and the majority looked unhappy, unmotivated and disinterested. One of the receptionists we experienced at the spa was really quite curt with us when we arrived for a couples Thai massage. Although the massages were very good, the rooms were not the best and and the treatments delivered did not match the description in the spa brochure.

When we checked out, we werent asked how our stay was at the Hotel which really summed it up. What 5 Star Hotel doesnt bother to ask if you have enjoyed your stay when you check out...?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stevie1Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Visited many conditoreis in the former Austro-Hungarian countries, reknowned for their superb cakes. Gerbaud in Budapest, Meier in Bratislava, Blikle in Warszawa, Mysak in Prague - all these traditional havens of exquisite cakes and perfect cups of coffee.
For some strange reasons I was expecting somthing of a similar class - but class I could not find...
All the aboves I recommend, strongly. But avoid Pupp Cafe, please.
El Ivanko, Prague

Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank ELIvanko
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2days in September.Its a landmark hotel.The rooms were small but nice .we stayed in a renovated room.The bathroom was spacious.breakfast is very good. The spa was dirty,especially the Thai one.Ther was no privacy and people were walking around everywhere near the sauna.we could say the hotel is nicely located,but there is only one Main Street in this town and all the hotels are in this street.It is actually at one end of the street.All in all its a nice historical building and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bhavana m
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stated at the Grandhotel Pupp for one night as a part of our trip to Prague. I chose This particular hotel because of its beauty and its history. It was also surprisingly inexpensive for a 5 star hotel so I booked a junior suite.

The hotel itself is a landmark. It is over 300 years old and has made numerous appearances in movies and TV shows. While there's no doubt that the hotel is beautiful and elegant, the decor on the insdie wasn't really my style.

Our room was a corner room, which was a little more spacious than average junior suites. We had our own corner balcony and I felt like a princess standing on it looking out. Our living room was huge and the bedroom and bathroom were both quite nice. The bed was really comfortable. The TVs were quite small.

The complimentary breakfast was delicious with a made to order omelet and pancake station. If they have it, absolutely grab the cinnamon roll pastry. It was one of the best pastries I have had.

I find that the service at the hotel to be below expectation. The lady who checked us in was quite indifferent and borderline rude. The few other employees we encountered were all similar. While it's nothing to report to the manager about, it definitely did not meet the standards of a five star hotel.

We were looking forward to using the spa facilities as we have been traveling for a while in hotels that don't have them. The relaxton area as they call it, was dissapointging as well. The front desk lady was oaky to me, but she was really rude to my boyfriend. The whole spa area was very small for the size of the hotel. They had only 4 beds and 1 jacuzzi, a small sauna and 2 tiny steam rooms. The whole area is co-Ed but some people were completely naked! We didnt know if that was the common practive here, but it made us extremely uncomrtable. We left without even going in the sauna.

The other thing that made me not give the hotel a full rating is the ridiculous price of the mini bar. A 200ml bottle of Evian water was 200 crowns! Sure the mini bars are always expensive but that was just outrageous.

Overall our stay was quite pleasant just for the fact that Karlovry Vary is absolutely beautiful and our room was really really comfortable. If I ever get a chance to visit Karlovy Vary, I will check to see if there is a newe, better hotel out there, if not, I will probably stay at Pupp again for the lack of something better.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple