“Imperial Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 91 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Bucharest, Romania
“Imperial Hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This wonderful hotel could not have been better in any way. The location was excellent . The bathroom had a loo, a sink and a bath with shower. The shower was excellent. Soap and shampoo were provided and a hair dryer.The service was wonderful. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful and spoke excellent English.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Laurens,
Thank you for your nice words about Hotel Imperial. We are so happy that you had enjoyed stay at our hotel and we believe that we will see you again.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed one night there with a tour group. It is a huge resort with friendly service. The view from the hotel is lovely.

There is no A/C in the room, hot like hell in the room from afternoon till 9pm even i open the window, the wind only comes in when I open both the door and the window. However when it is mid-night and early in the morning, it is very cool outside and woke me up.

There is only wifi in the lobby.

I assume it is a very nice resort if you love to enjoy a healthy life. I wish I can have some more time to explore the resort and enjoy the facilities.

Room Tip: Room with balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Madam,
We would like to thank you for your appraisal and your comments.
We are truly sorry that your stay at the Imperial did not meet your expectations.
Your words clearly imply that you have given our hotel low rating only because of the missing air-conditioning in your guest room, i.e. the lack of hotel hardware. As there is not much we can do about that, we lay greater emphasis on the hotel software, i.e. the standard of provided services.
I would like to point out that the Imperial fully complies with the 4* Superior classification according to the internationally accepted certification.
The hotel indeed is not equipped with air-conditioning. Since the geographical location of the Czech Republic brings only a few hot days in the summer season, air-conditioning would not be used for the most part of the year.
We declare Wi-Fi Internet access only on the public hotel premises, however, Internet access is also available in all guest rooms via a cable connection.
We believe that you will be able to find more time for a longer stay at the Imperial to take full advantage of the hotel services and to give us a full rating :-)
South Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I booked a weekend "relaxation" package for around $350 US at the Hotel Imperial. This package included 3 treatments: a half-body massage, CO2 bubble bath, and oxygen treatment with a glass of the famous Karlovy Vary mineral water. I emailed the hotel before my arrival asking for specific directions from the bus terminal (I arrived from school in Prague), and received excellent directions from the staff.

Upon my arrival, the desk staff informed me that as a treatment guest, I could receive free passes for the cable car down to Karlovy Vary's city center, and that the pool area would be open to guests starting at 5:30pm. My package also included half-board meals (breakfast and dinner). Reception gave me a glass of champagne as well as a voucher for a free drink in their on-premises club.

Starting with my room: it was located outside the main hotel at Villa Hofman. The room was pleasant, with simple furnishings and large windows. The bathroom was well-stocked with basic toiletries. The bedsheets were soft and white.

My treatments were scheduled for Saturday at pre- determined times by the hotel. My massage was 9am, bubble bath at 9:30am, and oxygen treatment at 11am. My massage began at 9:05 and ended quickly at 9:20. The masseuse was excellent, but I was a bit surprised at the brevity of treatment-- I was thinking it would last 20 minutes at least, rather than 10 minutes. I figured the bubble bath would last longer, as the oxygen treatment did not start until 11am. Instead, the bath lasted 15 minutes and I waited in the lobby for more than an hour for the final treatment's appointment. The oxygen treatment did last for the scheduled hour, but rather than receive the mineral water in the package I got a glass of regular water and a shot glass of what I was told were 'vitamins' that tasted a lot like prune juice. I chalked this experience up to my own lack of questioning in regards to how long treatments would last.

I asked the front desk for my pass for the cable car, and was informed that this free service was only for "treatment guests." When I showed my treatment schedule list I was given at check-in (and which was stamped throughout the morning), I was then informed it was for "serious treatment guests." Feeling like a second-class citizen, I asked to purchase 3 cable car tickets for around 60 Czech kronur. (It is better to purchase at the hotel than at the cable car, as they will not give you change.) I also asked about scheduling other treatments or beauty appointments and was told that I could not do so. At this point I decided that while I certainly wasn't satisfied with my "relaxation weekend," I could at least look forward to the pool area Saturday evening.

The pool area: I visited Friday during the scheduled open hours and found it lovely. There seems to be no chlorine in the large pool or hot tubs, and the sauna room is the hottest I've experienced in Europe so far. Only negative was when a family brought their underwear-clad, crying baby into the pool. This is when I left, fearing an 'accident' from the child in the water.

After spending a nice Saturday afternoon in the historic town center, I returned to Hotel Imperial for dinner. After dinner, I attempted to visit the pool area as I had done Friday night. I was then informed that the pool is closed on weekends for only 'treatment guests'. This was yet another disappointment in what was supposed to be my relaxation weekend. I feel that I spent too much money to discover that perhaps the only way to fully utilize my stay would be to have a long-term medical stay of a week or longer. Many other guests at the hotel are here for 'medical' stays paid for by their country's insurance. I am envious, as I paid out of pocket and have never before felt so cheated by a spa hotel.

Unfortunately for me, I had no relaxation during my weekend stay at Hotel Imperial. I actually purchased a few bath items at a store in town so I could relax on my own in my hotel room's bathtub. I will be returning with a group next summer to Karlovy Vary, but I will not be booking any rooms or services at Hotel Imperial. Unfortunately the price I paid did not deliver the kind of service I was promised.

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank thelionforreal
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Imperial and for your rating.
We regret to learn that you stay was not up to your expectation.

We are sorry about the misunderstanding regarding a free ropeway ticket. Naturally, the ropeway can be used by all Imperial Hotel guests but only spa clients are provided with free rides as part of their spa treatment package. Specifically, such spa clients have a morning, noon and evening drinking cure prescribed by their attending physician. In addition to the spring that can be drunk in the hotel such clients should also drink springs on the colonnade to which they can get by ropeway.
Therefore, there is no reason to feel like a second-rate guest.

The partial aroma therapy massage that was included in your package is scheduled to take 20 minutes.
I checked the lengths of all your procedures and found out that they were performed as prescribed in our standards.

Weekend procedures can be ordered and purchased if they are available.
Some weekends are quite busy and all our staff is fully occupied with previous appointments in which case extra procedures cannot be provided. Their unavailability is caused by capacity reasons only therefore we apologize for this inconvenience.

We would like to assure you that most Hotel Imperial guest pay for our procedures and spa care. Therefore we cannot agree with the statement that many of our guests have their spa stay covered by an insurance company as this statement is false.

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with the Hotel Imperial.

We will appreciate if you reconsider your decision and give us a chance to improve our reputation in your eyes.
new york
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We are frequent visitors of the Hotel - spa Imperial, in karlovy vary.
At least one time a year we go ( usually in fall) for treatment and drinking this miracle mineral water. the best ever relaxation. Very nice and friendly staff, they tend to every needs, nice and very professional spa ( clinic) with very modern equipment and well trained nurses. We love our Dr.Maria Pospishilova, who is very professional and knows exactly what you need , she is aware of the medications that you are taking and your healt condition ( we seen her every year). Usually we come for two weeks , that considering to be optimal time to take treatment and relaxation. Very good food ( buffet style), we noted major imrovement last year ( delicious, healty, most of the products are organic). And I would like to add that Hotel was build in 1912 ( with 100 history) with large spacious rooms, halls, beautiful Park around the hotel , you can take a stroll and Karlovy Vary is always a pleasure to take a walk. We will definitely come this fall. I already miss this place

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 302, 402 ( front , beautiful view)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kiev55
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
We appreciate your favorable rating.
We are really happy when our guests are satisfied with our services.
It is our priority to help our guests feel content, rested, fresh and full of new when leaving the Imperial Hotel.
We look forward to your next visit.
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 25 February 2013

For the third consecutive year, we decided to dulcify a long winter time by a shorter wellness stay in Hotel Imperial in Karlovy Vary. It was a very pleasant feeling, returning to an already familiar environment, where you can rely on functional correctness hotel services and its staff.

Imperial has a unique location, with a beautiful views of the Karlovy vary old spa center. The accommodation is spacious and the scrupulous cleanliness is everywhere in the hotel. Pleasant was the using of several spa treatments and also the possibility of a free access to a great pool and to a whirlpools. Concerning a food, by our opinion the Praga restaurant offer could be wider in a hotel of this category. A very pleasant experience was (this time) the dinner at Paris restaurant (thanks Helena !).

Hotel Imperial´s motto "Tradition with a modern shape" is by our opinion completely in harmony with the reality and therefore we expect to come back again.

Room Tip: Higher floor with a view of the valley.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jan_vidrna
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear Mr. Vidrna,
We would like to sincerely thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your opinions on our services. We are happy that we may consider you as our regular guest.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Imperial once again and we look forward to your next visit.
Jihlava, Czech Republic
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week with full board and balneo.
Very good hotel with profesional services and staff. The food was always fresh and good prepared with also good food styling on the plates. Maybe would somebody appreciate more types of cereals for breakfast.
The room was spacious and so was the bathroom. Hotel offers free WIFI connection in public premises of the hotel and free LAN connection in all rooms. The only small problem is bad quality of TV signal in rooms.
You can also use newly renovated sport centrum (for a fee) and for free hotel pool, sauna a whirpool.
Balneo precedures are on professional way and offer privacy for everybody.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel K
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear Daniel,
We are grateful for your highly favorable rating and comments.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Imperial. It is our priority to serve all guests of Hotel Imperial to their ultimate satisfaction.
We are looking forward to your next visit.
australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We two couples were unable to book into this hotel for our recent stopover, but we were able to dine in an upstairs restaurant where we had a choice of buffet or a la carte. We were well treated by the staff and had a lot of fun trying out the various dishes at the buffet, which was pretty much a mixture of cuisines. We found all of the fish and meat dishes to our satisfaction and enjoyed fruit and tart desserts. The house red and white wines were good value.
All of the guests we saw around the hotel seemed very happy to be there.
Maybe next time!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
koutny, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear David,
Thank you for your positive evaluation of dining services in Restaurant Paris.
What a pity you did not choose full rating if you were satisfied ;-(
Hopefully next time we will be ready to accommodate you, your family and your friends in our Hotel Imperial.
Kind regards.