“Perfect view in style” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 94 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Perfect view in style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The old hotel looks fantastic from the outside and entering it doesnt dissapoint you. English speaking personal was attentive, and I easily get the parking space some 100m away. I stayed in the room on the 5th floor which was furnished in style - I liked the red and green combintion. I found the sef very practical with a card locker instead of number code - which might be forgotten.
It is worth to take the room with the view to the valey. Karlovy Vary venter is like in your hands... The town center with termal water springs is just a few minutes walk away and there is a funicular if the road is too steep for you. You can even taste the spring water on the 1st floor of the hotel!
Wellcome voucher drink in a club was a nice gesture...
Breakfast was just perfect as all of my stay.

Room Tip: The higher floor, the better view....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Sir,
Allow us to thank you for choosing the Hotel Imperial for your stay in Karlovy Vary. We most appreciate your evaluation and we are happy that you were satisfied at our hotel.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you at the Hotel Imperial once again during your next stay.
Yours sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel presides over the city like a palace. A bit away (about 1 mile) from the wonderful town's promenade, approaching this hotel sets you back to a different time, when grand hotels were grand, and when guests were in fact or at least treated as royalty.
Well, like a mirage the closer you get, the more reality kicks in. However, the lobby is truly splendid and tasteful. The rooms are quite nice. After unpacking, I wanted to order my favorite food in the world and the most important culinary contribution of the Americas: a club sandwich. Did they have it on the menu? No. A burger? No. Some Bohemian specialties? No. In fact, there was no menu. Why? Because there is no room service - at all. A big deal? Well, for me, luxury does not mean to have more time or appreciate nature, no - it means something rather plain: servants. And this temporary illusion of luxury, leisure, and lavishness is a grand hotel's job. No room service bursts this illusion like a bubble.
Then there is a highly advertised spa. I tried to get in but I did not know about the bouncer: a middle-aged lady behind a window, who was in a very bad mood. Did her dog die? Was she still mourning over Stalin's untimely death? I don't know but she asked for my doctor's prescription in German: "REZZEPT von Doktor!". A prescription for the hotel spa? Did I hear right? It seemed so. And she was very powerful as she controlled the buzzer that could let me in. And she had the towels. Hungover and tired, I argued with her, but my arguments consisted of asking her to let me in. After 10 minutes, she did, possibly because she realised that no secret police could remove me. The spa was not bad.
I then walked into my room, passing the hotel's café and trying to order some food to carry upstairs myself but the waiter furiously kicked me out as I was dressed in a bathing robe. Looking at the other guests, mostly Russians in shiny tracksuits, I was impressed by the hotel's standards.
The bar is beautiful, however. It was one of the very last beautiful bars where one could smoke a good cigar. But as of 2014 it is totally smoke free, throwing another baby out with the bathwater and destroying one of the last bastions of civilisation.
Driving away, I looked back and saw a palace, looking more and more magnificent...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JNasher
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Sir,
Allow us to thank you for choosing the Hotel Imperial for your stay in Karlovy Vary. We highly appreciate your evaluation and feedback.
We would also like to apologize for the behavior of some of the members of our hotel staff and we assure you that we will investigate the issues and draw appropriate consequences. Nonetheless, we regret that you have not discussed the issues and especially the matter of human failure during your stay directly with the relevant manager who could have taken immediate measures to remedy the same.
Allow us to respond to some of your comments:
• Room service is not available at our hotel and we do not promote it any way. The hotel café offers a variety of baguettes, which the guests may choose from.
• As regards the dress code, it applies to all dining facilities in order to ensure that guests do not enter them in gowns after swimming in the pool or completing their procedures.
• Smoking is prohibited by the relevant decree of the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic and as a health facility, our hotel is obligated to observe this decree without any exceptions.
We thank you once again for all your valuable comments and suggestions as they help us continuously improve the quality of our services.
Yours sincerely,
Clarens, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We came to Imperial with our 4 years old daughter to recharge our batteries and to celebrate New Year's eve.
Out stay was unforgettable. We enjoyed medical treatment (physiotherapy, baths, massages and other) and the staff paid highest attention with an individual approach to each of us.
The swimming pool area and the sauna are great! It's opened till late hours.
As for the food, it deserves a special attention - the Chef is very talented and every meal we had was a real gastronomic delight. Paris restaurant waiters were very caring towards our daughter and even some of her special requests were fulfilled 
We also would like to highlight Club Imperial for it’s great cocktails and different entertainment with live music and captivating shows EVERY evening.
As for the party on the 31st of December – that was TREMENDOUS! Professional photographer, special guest performers and delicious gala dinner plus an entertainment for the kids, who enjoyed the celebration as much as we did – what else one can wish for such special event?
I would recommend the hotel for its professional team, great organisation, breath taking views and gorgeous rooms!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

First of all, this is a pure spa-hotel in my opinion, so if you plan to spend just a few days in Karlovy Vary to enjoy the town itself (which is highly recommended indeed) then choose something else (we prefer Hotel Promenada, for example) and do not read this review.

Say, location of Imperial on a hill top and well above the town could be seen as an advantage for sanatorium, when you may need calm and intimacy but it's probably a minus for a hotel guests who are eager to spend most of their time walking along the beautiful old town center. In a hotel you may not be happy to meet people in bathrobes every minute, but if you wear it too then you are like everyone else...

Back to location. For us (I had spent three weeks there) it was great: wonderful view, fresh air, colorful trees everywhere. The building itself is absolutely beautiful - like a castle dominating the town beneath.
Rooms are just enormous. I stayed in superior double room 451 where 4 or 5 people could be accomodated easily. Lovely decorated, with all (but wi-fi) modern amenities, huge bathroom with window, balcony, excellent pillows, my room offered a great comfort. It's been cleaned every single day.
Food is very good for those on medical treatment: mostly boiled or baked meat of a good quality,
poultry, fish, soups, salads, only rarely something fried (but tenderly, again). Coffee for breakfast is a weak point only.

There is a beautiful cafe (with live music twice a week), evening English style bar with Friday jazz concerts (all three were great!) and a very good swimming pool.

The medical treatment was excellent, so most probably I will spend at least two weeks there next Fall again.

Service is very good, every staff member is ready to help.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, not villa.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Irina94
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Hotel Imperial has nice rooms (no AC), a good breakfast buffet with healthy choices a great gym at the health club and nice views. However, their staff all seem to be in a bad mood and not interesting in helping. The spa is not that great and the staff there were had to be "bothered" to book a massage appointment. There are much better spa resorts in town for the price. Best part was the gym - it was by far the best we encountered in 3 weeks traveling in the country.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marty H
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Mr. Marty,
We are happy that it was out hotel you chose for your stay during your travels in the Czech Republic.
We are grateful for your favorable evaluation of our breakfast menu and sports center services. But we also wish to comment on your review.
We are sorry that you saw our staff as not helpful. Referring to numerous ratings to the contrary we believe that our staff is always ready to give good advice to our guests, help them find the best solution and provide them with first-class services. We are truly sorry to learn that your impression was quite different.
We are pleased that you were happy with our newly open Sportcentrum Imperial.
We believe that you will give our hotel another chance in the future to persuade you that the Hotel Imperial is truly special.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

The hotel was nice and the facilities were well maintained. However, the pool attendant was very very very rude! One evening, we headed down to the pool/sauna are and wend into the dressing rooms to change. The male room was open and some of the members of the group went in. The female room was closed, so I headed to the window to see if an attendant was available to help. Before I could make it to the window, an attendant ran towards me screaming in Czech "good evening". I replied "good evening," she screamed "not good, not good, not good, do you not know that you are to come to the window first and then go to change?" I replied that I did not. She (still screaming) said that I was supposed to have a booklet issued at the front desk, that I was supposed to bring to the check-in window before proceeding to the fitting room. I was never advised of this practice and feel there was no reason to scream at me when I did not follow this unknown protocol. Everyone else was nice and if it was not for this experience I would have been satisfied.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Daria B
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Ms. Daria,
We wish to thank you for visiting the Imperial Hotel and comment on your review. We additionally verified the objections you raised regarding the conduct of our swimming pool staff and we discussed the matter with staff who were at work during your stay. Nevertheless, we failed to find any faults on the part of our staff. It is a shame that you did not contact the hotel manager who is always on the premises until at least 22:00 hours as he is competent to deal with similar situations and put it right.
We believe that your stay authority the Hotel Imperial was not your last one and that will have a chance to prove the quality of our staff at some time in the future.
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

This wonderful hotel could not have been better in any way. The location was excellent . The bathroom had a loo, a sink and a bath with shower. The shower was excellent. Soap and shampoo were provided and a hair dryer.The service was wonderful. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful and spoke excellent English.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jan K, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Laurens,
Thank you for your nice words about Hotel Imperial. We are so happy that you had enjoyed stay at our hotel and we believe that we will see you again.