“No way a 4*”

Ranked #42 of 94 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Manchester, United Kingdom
“No way a 4*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I booked a single with half board and got 5 treatments included and got a really good rate especially as it was during the film festival.

The room was extremely tired and was probably pretty nice in the 70's, it had basic facilities and I would call it 2* at the most .. I had a balcony and it gave great views of beautiful Karlovy Vary.

The location of the hotel was perfect for me, right between the old and new parts of town, the reception staff were really polite and friendly and the medical treatments were relaxing.

The Hotel's external architecture is pretty brutal, but what can you do about that ! (In fact I quite like it), I just wish it would have a refurb in the rooms and it would be really nice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank 15ian20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

My wife and I didn't actually stay at this hotel, we arrived in Karlovy Vary and parked in their parking lot as cars are not allowed in the city centre area.

The parking is $40 Kc per hour and after parking, I headed in and asked for a map of the city. It's a very good map that shows where all the springs are and other places of interest. It's nice and big as well so you don't have to search for things with any difficulty.

The three female staff minding the desk all look unhappy to be there, no smiles and even when I thanked one for the map in the Czech language, there was no response verbally or facially.

We walked around the town and after getting back to pay for parking, there were two people in front of me dealing with staff.

They weren't very pleasant and seemed to have the I-wish-I-were-somewhere-else look. They were quite busy, so I suppose with this type of environment, nobody would be happy.

I asked to pay for parking, the lady was very perfunctory and not friendly. I can see why this hotel ranks so low on TripAdvisor. The environment seems so poisoned with negative vibes.

As well, the hotel allows smoking inside. It reeked of cigarettes. Yuck.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank easyHwolf

Travellers are raving about these Karlovy Vary hotels

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

To start with the only positive aspect: the manager of the front desk is a really likable guy.

This hotel pretends to have 4 stars, but provides by no means the quality level. Especially the food is no less than aweful. The beds are Spartan. The sheets dirty.

The hotel gives you the feeling that you're in a dirty environment. It is by far the most ugly hotel in Karlovy Vary. That alone should be enough to avoid this hotel. It is spoiling the view of beautiful Karlovy Vary. Most striking though is the average hotel guest. Old. Smelly. Brutal. Kolchoz-russian.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sfitseart
Riyadh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I arrived on 14th April 2011 after a very long trip to find out that they did not keep my booking. After many hours of arguments I managed to get my room the second day

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank skriyadh
slough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

When we arrived, late at night after a long and fraught train journey, the staff said they had no record of us due to stay there!!! They said that the internet had been down for 4 days? so could not confirm our reservation, the staff in question were not helpfull at all to the point of disbeliving that we had a reservation. Even after i logged onto my laptop (wi-fi still worked?) and showed them confirmation e-mail from expedia, they grudgenly accepted and gave us our room. My wife wished to use the pool the next day but was told it was 'out of use'
Room not bad, tatty in places, wardrobe doors stuck closed, small portable tv, for a 4 star? Breakfast plentiful but even these staff looked surly as if they did not want to be there...
Main foyer large and spacious, but all seating and coffee tables tatty and worn, as befitting the rest of the place really! Internet still not working when we left????
We were NOT impressed, it was a lot of money for what was on offer...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GRAHAM M
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stark building thanks to the communists, in one of the most picturesque small towns in Europe. The staff more then make up for it. No luxury, but they have a system that works. Excellent for those who come on weight loss trips. Andrew at reception, Irena and Karima in the restaurent are outstanding. For a little extra suggest stay on the executive seventh floor. Take a room with city view. It has an excellent balcony.
For Luxury go to the Hotel Pupp.
For Weight loss with luxury got to Bristol palace or Hotel Imperial.
For value for money, Thermal is recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MosheKohli
Prague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2009

Last week we spent our Easter vacation in Thermal. The location is fabulous and it was very easy for us to find it. The reception staff is competent and spoke English very well. We stayed in a room on the 10th floor, the room was comfortable and clean with a nice view of Karlovy Vary. The service in the restaurant was good, the quality and taste of the food as well. We had booked bed and breakfast only but we changed our minds on the second day and bought dinner served buffet style. The hotel offers good leisure time activities (swimming pool, massages) and we enjoyed all of them.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends