“Average hotel but great place to get well”
Review of Hotel Thermal

Hotel Thermal
Ranked #40 of 91 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Average hotel but great place to get well”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This hotel is well known as the place to lose weight and get well. The rooms are average but considering the price you pay they are okay. The hotel offers variety of treatments for men and women of all ages as part of the room rate. Those who want to lose weight should consider this coming to this hotel, which offers two types of diet, hard and medium. The worst part about this hotel is its elevators as sometimes you have to use the stairs if you don't want to miss your treatments. The staff are generally friendly but language is often an issue as very few can converse in English

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fahad J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ostrava
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I spent two nights in thsi hotel. Check in and check out was without problems, but ladies were very unfriendly, unwilling and arrogant. Hotel is 40 years old. Bed in the room was very uncomfortable, I think the worse i´ve seen ever. The smell from kitchen or restaurant woke me up every morning. Room was clean and bathroom was newer and standard. Toilett is separated from bathroom. But location of hotel is perfect and I think wellness and pool is OK.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JuliusO

Travellers are raving about these Karlovy Vary hotels

Westerlo, Belgium
Reviewed 5 November 2012

To start with: this 15-floor high hotel is ruining the view of Karlovy Vary, so it is probably the best place to stay because you don't have to look at it while you're in it.

In general, this hotel is clearly outdated: the architecture, the furniture, the beds and hard matrasses. It does have a nice swimming pool outside, but the water is cold, not warm as you would expect.
The breakfast buffet is far below average - i hardly recognized the scrambled eggs - and wifi costs 100 crowns a day (€4). If you're sleeping on the highest floors, prepare for a long wait for the elevator. And expect an even a longer wait for check in. We had to wait about 75 minutes before our entire group was checked in. Why all the paperwork? You are really getting the feeling you are entering a prison, not a comfortable hotel. The nightclub downstairs is a joke. Plastic palm trees and 50-year old ladies waiting for a chat.

Some positive points: large conference facilities and perfect location within Karlovy Vary.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
California, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I visited the Hotel Thermal upon being referred to them for the thermal baths. I asked at the hotel front desk. They abruptly handed me a paper and pointed to the door and said "out the door and then left. I went out the door and left only to see a sign pointing up and then right and then up and up and up! The walk was very steep and after a recent injury, I was not prepared for the distance. I arrived finally to be greeted with a frowning Czech woman. She gave me my change and started shouting something at me. When I did not understand, she started shouting louder. Perplexed I followed the maize to the dressing room, shower and pool. Finally, heading to the thermal pool, I step into what is a swimming pool, a cold swimming pool. There are no thermal pools to be had.

The pool was about 82 degrees and it was the only choice. I was told by the cleaning lady that the sauna was "kaput" and there was no hot pool. I left, asked for a refund and was told no refunds.
The hotel front desk, after a lot of discussion, called the lady at the spa and told her to refund my money. I had to go back up the hill, but this time was allowed to use the elevator which is only for hotel guests. The women handed me my money back but was still shouting something in Czech at me.

I was considering to stay at this hotel, but now, of course, I would not consider it. After navigating the hallways, elevator, stairs I realized how shabby and ugly the hotel is.
I was very glad that I did not book a stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Akasmiley
Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was our second time in Karlovy Vary since 2007 and our second stay in Thermal Hotel. We never wanted to choose another place when planning our trip and we're glad that we came back!
Even though the hotel building doesn't really fit in the city with old-style, 4-5 floor buildings, even though it looks a bit ugly outside - this is the best place to stay in Karlovy Vary and I mean it!
The hotel is extremely clean! The staff was very professional and friendly (most of them).
We were 3 people and we reserved the comfort apartment (not a regular room) and it was just great! The room was clean and very well organised. The bed sheets, the towels, the bedrooms - everything was clean, clean and clean...Standard rooms have a very nice balcony with a great view.
The food was fine with the carefully prepared menu. The reastaraunt was large and bright and the hotel staff did well serving so many people at one time.
Thermal has a perfect location. Only 10 min to a historical colonade with mineral water and 5 min to the center with shops, cafes, etc.
The medical examination, treatment, service at Thermal Hotel was just perfect. The medical staff was very professional and friendly. They speak perfect Russian and some english.
We never used the pool so nothing to say here.
Overall great place to stay for a few days or weeks. Will come back here again...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rovshana
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We did not stay at this hotel but went to Karlovy Vary on a day trip from Prague. We scheduled a massage at the Hotel Thermal and were very, very pleased with the service and the price. One of the best whole body massages I have ever received and the price was the best. As we were a bit lost, the front desk staff was extremely helpful in locating the spa and the spa staff - while they did not speak any English whatsoever - were incredibly helpful and did a great job.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EspanaTraveler
Kharkov, Kharkivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Better just visit the pool from this hotel. Its the best pool in the city, with clean water and awesome view!
It's definitely worth the money!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends