Metamorphis Excellent
Ranked #322 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed with our teenage daughter in July 2013. The hotel is located steps from the Old Town Square; it's a fantastic location right in the center of Prague. I had booked a triple room, expecting the standard room in Europe where you can barely move and we got a 4-room apartment! It was huge. There was a large entry (that became our storage and dressing room), the bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and the monsoon shower head style shower could easily fit 5 people. The bedroom was large and spacious and there was a huge sitting room which became our daughter's bedroom. The furnishings were fairly plain, but it was extremely comfortable and I would much rather have space than chandeliers and fancy drapes. The room was the size of a comfortable apartment and for the price, was a great value. For about $215 night for 3 people including breakfast in a huge room in the center of the Old Town, you can't get much better than that. Ask for room 814. The European buffet style breakast is always enjoyable with a lot of choice and included in the room price. There is also a very nice Italian restaurant across from the hotel, which was very convenient when we were just too tired to look for somewhere to eat. Only downside were the front desk personnel were very young and didn't seem to know too much about their own town but they were always willing to research and provide answers.

Room Tip: Room 814 is enourmous and faces the front of the hotel, opposite the Italian restaurant. Can be a l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BritishAngeleno

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My daughter and I have just stayed in this hotel, and we were very pleased. It is only a 2 minute walk to the old town square and in the old district of Prague. Staff were fantastic, very helpful. Room was large, with fridge, tv and a view to a back street. Bathroom was very big, the only criticism was the shower was a little bit small. Beds were comfortable, we had twin beds and they did squeak a bit which was frustrating when you were trying to get out of bed quietly so as not to wake the other person! A bit of oil somewhere might be good!

We also ate in the pizzeria restaurant attached to the hotel and that was very nice. We had breakfast each morning, which was included in the price, and was very adequate for us. My only issue was that to get to the room it was downstairs, down a long, spiral stone staircase. I have bad knees so this wasn't my favourite part of the day!!

Also included in the price was high speed internet. We stayed in room 25, which was away from the noise of the alleyway coming from the square.

I would most highly recommend this hotel to anyone and I would stay there again if I went to Prague in the future even with the squeaky beds and stone staircase!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather48
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I personally dont understand why this has been selected one of the best hotels by tripadvisor.
The photos on the website do not correspond to to the real rooms. It is very small, there is no elevator, the carpet seems from 100 years ago, dirty and used. The hotel stuff is dressed up in Jeans. The cleaning of the room is very poor. Hair everywhere. It is very central, but thats the only good thing, but every night ( I stayed two) people were screaming in the square. I would not come here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Judy_le
Reviewed 20 October 2012

First, the location is excellent because it is close to the old town square; however, I think I would have preferred to stay across the bridge which appeared to be quieter; however, for a young person I think this location is excellent, a lot of bars and music halls. A significant issue was the lack of black out curtains or shades. We had a room across from the restaurant, and the lights lit up the room. There was also a lot of noise at night. The bathroom is updated and a good size. The room was large, but the all the furniture and carpet was old, tired, worn and scruffy. The reception areas seemed old and tired as well. Overall, the atmosphere seemed melancholy. It just seemed sad to me. The staff was ok; their behavior/attitude seemed to be in keeping with the mediocre/apathetic service we encountered in shops, restaurants, airport, etc. (Incidentally, I am experienced traveler having visited 25 countries in 5 continents). The breakfast was excellent: excellent quality, excellent selection, excellent variety. I would be reluctant to recommend this hotel to a friend because there is no compelling reason to recommend it unless one wants to be close to Old Town Square.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paladino85
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked the sister hotel Metamorphis, but thanks to Tripadvisor's coupon we got free upgrade to this building just across the alley with a larger bedroom and renovated bathroom. The stay was very pleasant, and the included breakfast had plenty of choices. The staff was helpful in booking private pickups and making restaurant reservations. Wifi and TV also worked well. Our only complaint is that, for our room, there was only a bath tub, and no shower curtain, so we were forced to either take a bath or crouch down in the tub for shower, which ended up with a lot of water spill.

Room Tip: Its location is hard to find if you want to take the subway and then walk there. Private pickups are...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phdgracie
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This is a very nice hotel and I would recommend it. It is located directly behind the Tyn Church and Old Town Square in Prague. This makes it easy to get to all the sites to see in Prague. You can walk to everything. The astronomical clock is two minutes, the Tyn church is one minute, Charles Bridge about eight minute. The Jewish section is very close. You can even walk to the castle from there. The front desk people are very nice and helpful and breakfast is included. Our room was enormous. My only complaints are that the elevator barely fits two people, our bathroom had a funky odor and I could not figure out how to work the air conditioner. It wasn't really hot but with the windows open, you can hear the noise in the square and I am a light sleeper. There are a few places right in Tyn square worth eating at, the Indian restaurant and Rembandt cafe.

Room Tip: I didn't see anyone elses room. My room was not attached to the front desk but through a coutya...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in this 5 star hotel in March 2012 for 4 nights. The room was very spacious and had a beautiful painted ceiling. We had requested to be on the side overlooking the square and the bed was very comfortable. On the first night we asked reception if they could look at the airconditioning as it wasn't working, the guy at reception had no clue as what to do, that same night we had no hot water. The next morning there was no water at all, and after asking reception about this we were told quite bluntly that they didn.t know when it would be fixed. We asked for some bottles of water to at least brush our teeth and were told we should go out and buy them,. Breakfast was served over the road in the hotel part and when we were going to sit down we were told very abrupt by one of the waitresses that we couldn't sit there and had to move. We ventured into town and prague is a beautiful city and we did meet many friendly people. On return to our room we had once again water and it was hot, also the airconditoning was turned on. Our room 812 was overlooking the square which also has an Irish pub and you can not leave your window open because of the noise. The next two days all was fine and the room was cleaned every day,until the third day when reception decided to turn off the air-conditioning again and were then told that they don't turn it on this time of year. and we had to do without for the remainder of our stay. I would advice to buy your own coffee as what is provided you either spay for or the free coffee in your room is just awful, also the tea is not everyday replaced and you only one sachet.
The breakfast served is sufficient, but the same everyday and even though it is till 10.30 in the morning not everything is replaced once it has run out.
This is definately not a 5 star hotel, it left us feeling very unwanted and would certainly not recommend it or return there, as there are so many lovely hotels in Prague.
The staff should be more approachable and a smile so now and then would not go a miss.
All in all Prague is a wonderfull city , certainly to visit again,

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple