“OK, but not fantastik, still recommended”
Review of Greenyacht Hotel

Greenyacht Hotel
Ranked #319 of 650 Hotels in Prague
Treasure Island, Florida
“OK, but not fantastik, still recommended”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

First, let me start off by saying I live on a Yacht on Florida full time when I am not travelling...with this in mind, I can tell you that maintaining a boat is best left to those that understand how to do so.

I stayed 5 nights, and the price was good. I considered leaving for another hotel, but I didnt want to pack my stuff and move to another.....plus, parking is free, and parking elsewhere in Prague is $$$'

1. The least expensive rooms on any boat are small, but the GolfYacht has space enough for 2 travellers in a lower stateroom, that is partially below water level. The cost for my room was $59 euro per night. You must be organized to use the limited space, but it is quite possible. Many people will find the cheaper rooms a bit small. The next size up...$100 euro more....totally crazy price for what you get.

2. The staff is friendly, accomodating if you ask for something, and helpful to a point.....but these people are basically employees of the bank that repossessed the Yacht, and therefore, in my opinion, they really don't have the means or know-how to properly maintain the boat. Most times, when you ask for something simple, the answer will be a friendly "no." - because they just dont have it, and in maany cases had no idea where you can get it....but they are friendly. I just shrug this off, and find it on my own in town....adding to the adventure. I really did not ask for anything out of the ordinary. Ice supply is tight, but the front desk clerk found me some, pronto, but it seemed like it was a chore.....both girls at the front desk are kind and friendly.
For Example - regarding the maintenance comment: when the bathroom exhaust fan is left on, it pulls a bit of bilge odor into the cabin from the drain lines in the lower (cheaper) staterooms. This can mostly be avoided by plugging the sink with the stopper, and laying a wet towel over the shower drain. The pervious owner of the Yacht, and anyone that really understands yacht maintenance would easily understand the way to easily solve this issue....clean the bilge, treat the holding tanks to help dispell odor, pump out the tanks on a tighter schedule. Because these staterooms are below the water line, (with a nice window just above the water line! Cool!) the toilets are Marine heads, with electric flush with fresh water, and a macerator just behind the toilet....sounds funny, works just fine, yet are a maintenance intensive product. All your sewage, grey and black has to be pumped out above the water level of the boat to eliminate the waste.....therefore.....they smell....not too bad yet, but THIS WILL get worse.

Housekeeping staff was good and non-aggressive. Do not take a cab from downtown to the yacht without asking how much first then negoitation....should cost 250KC or less...they WILL rip you off...and I should have known better....now you know better. There is no TAXI regulation what so ever in Prague!

3. The carpets in the cheaper staterooms needed cleaning, and looked it. However, my bare feet did not turn colors from walking on it...just looked a bit gross. Solved this by laying a bath towel on the floor, after I used it. Not really a problem, but hey, why not clean the carpets with a portable carpet cleaner once in a while?? This is office quality glue down carpet...it cleans so easily....

4. The Air Conditioning room control system on the wall is inoperable, and once you understand this, you should be aware that you have to call the front desk on the in room phone, and request the temperature setting you desire...there is a desk agent available 24/7. So, if you like to feel like you have a service staff... you do! And once again, they mean well, and they are friendly.....however, they do not go out of their way to give tourist advice, or try to solve your issues related to any problem you may have in the room....their solution is to just give you a different room. If you know the questions to ask...they will answer, but they will not volunteer information. I found this strange and interesting, and different from other places in Europe. This may just be the culture of people in the CZ Republic. I have been nearly around the world, and found this interesting and different, but not a "deal breaker" for me.

4. If you're a westerner, and would like a Coke, Sprite, Ice, small snack, etc. you better bring your own. They have a kitchen, and they seem to know where it is, but they do not stock these basic things....there are some drinks in a 'fridge in the lobby, but no prices are posted, and they dont seem to sell much. Interesting to see there is no marketing plan what-so-ever for these products. This is both irritating at times, and wonderful at other times.....I hope you get the meaning of this....sometimes you just dont want to be marketed. Water with and without gas is available in the room, at 80 crowns each (about $4 USD) and this is pretty standard for even a Holiday Inn in the USA...

5. There is no "real" store close by to buy a coke, candy, snack, etc. Be aware and make a plan. In a pinch? The driving range next door is open during the day, and you can buy a can of soft drink (and that is about all) for about 30 crowns.

6. The bar is advertised as usually open, except never when I wanted to order a drink....weird! I never saw a sole behind the bar, and there was no indiction that anyone ever manned the bar....although I never hung out there at night....I went to Old Town. I sat in the bar area one afternoon for about half an hour, waiting for a friend to pick me up, and no less than 6 employees passed by before someone asked me if I needed anything....six! This was the same day that there was no ice available in the bar....When I did ask for something, they did do the best they could, but were under-prepared to fulfill. This didnt seem to be a employee problem, more of a management problem.

7. The tram stop is up the stairs of the Libinski Most (Most = Bridge) close to the hotel, and pretty scarry at night to walk down the steps alone....even at 6' 5" tall and weighing 224 lbs....however, I did it almost nightly, and had no problems. To get started, just go up the bridge stairs, turn right and walk 125 meters to the stop. Buy a full day pass for 110 KC, and ride subway, tram, bus all day. Jump on, jump off as you wish. Palmova (sp?) station subway stop (yellow line) is also to the right, and further down. Hop the tram, get off at subway, and follow the free map at the subway ticket window, and if you can read a map, you will have a great time exploring. EXCELLENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM IN PRAGUE! Dont drive! Parking is tight and $$$$
8. Breakfast: I had breakfast 1 out of 5 days I was on the GolfYacht. Might have been a off day for quality that day. Soft Boiled eggs were hard boiled....how did I know this, you ask? A: there were soft boiled egg holders next to the basket.... Poached eggs were burned on the outside, and therefore the yolks were exactly like a hardboiled egg! The rest was basic european style breakfast, and quite nice. When they find a guy that can boil an egg properly, this paragraph goes away....except that the coffe was not watched very carefully, and therefore it was serve yourself....no real problem, but strange, as there seemed to be enough staff, but they also seemed busy doing things other than handling the buffet, and accomodating guests. When asked, they were friendly, but they did not go out of their way to be helpful unless you asked....strange for a hotel that has a very high end looking web site. If they advertised "basic" on the web...no problem! But they show "Luxury" on the web site.....and they are not consistant with this web tour of the GolfYacht.

AND... you cant hit golf balls off the Yacht as advertised!!!! So really, the GolfYacht is just a Hotel Boat, with a golf theme - next to a unaffiliated driving range that is pretty dug up with big piles of dirt everywhere!! The previous owner of the yacht lost the buisnesses to the bank, due to a bad economy, and maybe a bad business plan. Maybe the bank should have made a deal for this previous owner to run the business, as he knew the boat well (he built it!). Seems the current GM can be seen at his computer all day, ignoring guests, and (guessing) managing the business from a spread sheet...typical in all the world, but not unexpected...

All in all I would stay there again. I would, however, try to find a alternative place for similar cost....with free parking close to a subway station.....but that would a tough thing to do...
I hope this review helped you understand the place better.

The post by Lozzcat is accurate as well, except for my stay, only 7 channels were available on the TV, and only one was in english.....who cares about TV....not me...Go, See, Do!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank FLKeys3
golfYacht, General Manager at Greenyacht Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear Sir,

first of all, I would like to thank you for your extensive review. We will certainly take your comments and suggestions under our wing. For your information, we took over the hotel from previous operator only 15 months ago. All we would like to say (to your suggestion for bank-owner) is that the previous owner-operator nearly brought the hotel to bankruptcy´(but not out of its pockets).......and it wasn´t caused by economics crisis if you understand :-)

Many of your comments and recommandations are reasonable and we are doing constanly our bets to improve the quality of hotel services, atmosphere and environment. However, please keep in mind that we have only been operating the hotel for 15 short months.

As you can see from other guest´s comments we are not doing as bad as you have indicated.
Nothing is so simple that it can be fixed over night.

Moreover, it is rather obvious from your detailed information in the review, that you have a personal relationship with the previous owner, which may have clouded your judgement,

We welcome you to come stay in the future so that you can have an opportunity to see how the hotel has improved.

best regards
Premysl Vejsada, hotel director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The window of our room was located just above the water facing the golf field lets say, and a lot of disgusting objects were floating just close to the window: plastic bottles, wood pieces and top of all a dead fish. I have asked a guy from the hotel about this, and he told me: 'there are not our bottles etc is the wind and we can not do anything about'. The hotel was fully booked so we spent all three nights with this 'romantic' view. I will never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Panore
, Manager at Greenyacht Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear guest,

I have to admit that some waste from city center can be floating in front of the windows of Romantic cabins which are at water level, and it is true we can not do much about it. But beleve me floating objects are on the other side of the boat time to time as well. Rooms are unfortunately on both sides, I applogiese for your view expirience and hope that level of other services will change your decision not to come again. In that case we will give you Luxury room with river view.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed at Golf Yacht for four nights on a mini break with my friend. We originally were looking at hotels in the Old Town centre of Prague, however after seeing the prices for Golf Yacht we decided to give it a try. We were most excited about the unusual experience of living on a boat, and also were eager to try somewhere away from the busy city centre.

From the airport were were able to arrange a taxi online from Prague Airport Transfers, which cost us about £20.00 each for both to and from the hotel. Upon arriving we were assisted to our room by the helpful staff. We stayed in a "romantic" cabin, which was a little odd for friends, however it was twin beds so this was not a problem. The bathroom was a litte strange, the toilet and shower were in separate small rooms, but with a hole in the adjoining wall over the sink that sat between them. This was not a problem, as with two people it was easy to just not use the toilet when the other was showering. The small window into the shower from the main room was a little strange though, but to be honest we just found it amusing, and just promised not to sneak a peek as the other was showering! We are both unconvinced a window into a shower wold be classed as romantic even if we were a couple though, but each to their own. The window was small and half frosted anyway, so I can't imagine this being a huge issue to most people.

There was a TV on the wall opposite the beds, which as well as various Czech channels also had CNN and Sky News for English speaking visitors. A safe was available in the cupboard which meant we could leave our passports etc in our room knowing we had them safely locked away. The room was fairly small, however there was plenty of storage space, a cupboard with hangers and shelves and a table and chairs. There was also two electrical outlets in line with the desk, so were were able to charge our phones and cameras. The view from our room was amazing, the window was only a little above water level so we got a really unique view of the ducks swimming past in the morning at eye level!

The breakfast was lovely, buffet style with a wide variety available. There was hot food, such as fried and scrambled eggs, toast, has browns and cold options such as salad, fruit and cereal. As a vegetarian I was expecting to be stuck with corn flakes everyday but I actually found it easy to have a hot breakfast, which was greatly welcomed after a few nights exploring the nightlife! I have read a few reviews where the 8-10 breakfast time was criticised, however I have rarely stayed anywhere with longer breakfast times and dd not find this a problem.

In regards to the hotels distance from the city centre, we were both at first concerned by this and so chose on our first day to try and walk to Old Town, to get a better idea of where we were situated. This was actually quite pleasant, it took about an hour which may be a bit much for some visitors but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Our choice of route was across the bridge and along the river, and the scenery on the way was worth the walk alone. On other days we were able to easily catch the tram from just across the bridge that took only 10 minutes. We chose to buy a three day tram/bus/train ticket, that we could use on any service for the three day period for 310 Kc (about £10) from one of the ticket vendors in the train station in the centre. These are also available somewhere near the hotel, and the staff would be able to direct you to where. The public transport felt safe, and was quiet on most occasions we used. On one of our evenings we chose to stay out late, there was a night tram that would have taken us to our hotel, however this looked very busy and we chose instead to use a taxi, which cost us about £8.00.

The surrounding area was very nice, there is a convenience store located across the bridge where we were able to buy soft drinks and snack for our stay, and there were quite a few nice restaurants there too, but sadly we did not have the time to visit these and ate instad in the Old Town and New Town areas.

All in all I was very pleased with our stay. The staff were extremely helpful, and the location was ideal for transport to the centre. I preferred being away from the main tourist area as we both felt a lot safer In Hole Sovice, with less risk of pick pocketers, noise and other problems tourist centres tend to create. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other visitors to Prague, and would definitely stay again if I return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, as I fear our view would have been less impressive if it had been d...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lozzcat
greenYacht, General Manager at Greenyacht Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Mrs. Lozzcut,

We very much appreciate your comprehensive, wonderfull and valuable reference for us and our future guests
Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to your next visit:-)!
Premysl Vejsada
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had only a two night stay at the Golf Yacht & thought the room was great, but was a little disappointed no tea & coffee facilities. Staff were fantastic from start to finish, in fact even before we arrived, by arranging a taxi pick up from the airport for us. The resturant & food was just lovely but I echo other reviews about the availability of the upper deck as it was much cooler up there but unfortunately was closed on our second evening. The location was a little far out of the centre of Prague & because my husband is a bit of a public transport phobic (snob) we had taxi's backwards & forward but the fabulous staff arranged these for us each time which was very much appreciated.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Chumberskillburn,

we are pleased to hear that your stay was so enjoyable!! We are little bit far from city center, but by car/taxi just 5 minutes or by tram/metro 10-15 minutes and reward for our guest is quite and no stressfull area:-)
Unfortunately, the coffee&tea making facilities we have not in rooms is because of safety - electricity circuits over load.
Thank you and we are look forward for your next visit.
Best regards
Premysl Vejsada
Bristol
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Located outside of the city centre but easily accessible to and from the centre, notably on the No 12 tram. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was fine, even without a shower. The bar tab was reasonable and the food was good, apart from the rather compact pancakes. We didn't use the golf facilities.

Prague is certainly worth visiting and we enjoyed exploring the historic buildings, shopping areas, and just taking in the atmosphere in a country which has changed a lot since the 1989 Velvet Revolution. The Czechs are generally very welcoming and I look forward to visiting the Czech Republic again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
greenYacht, General Manager at Greenyacht Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear guests,
thank you very much for your kind words about our unique boat and citizens. You are always welcomed aboard!
Best regards from greenYacht crew!
Kontich, Belgium
Reviewed 24 May 2012

perfect, value for money and good location for city-visit. Easy transport to old town of Praque

Room Tip: rooms are small (boat) but with all facilities
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear guests,
thank you very much for your review and we are looking forward to your next visit.
Best regards from greenYacht Hotel crew!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have been to various other "4 Star" hotels and this in my opinion was not in the same league. It was not as golf themed as I thought it would be, considering its called GOLF Yacht!!! the room was lovely but i was disappointed in the lack of light from the round porthole windows and there was no walk in shower and no tea and coffee making facilties!
The brochure states that you can "tee off" from the roof terrace, which was not at all true, when we asked about it the girl told us it was for corporate events only, which is not stated in the brochure. Also the simulator wasnt very good, as it did not register many shots and was not very acurate, considering my husband brought his own golf clubs with him from ireland it was very disappointing!!!
The sun terrace/upstairs bar and grill was closed all day on the monday... no explanation why just told it wasnt open.
Also they had specialist in cleaning the outside of the boat while we were sitting on the sun terrace, whichever tools they were using it was very smokey, and we were advised to go "somewhere else" for a few hours while they cleaned the boat because of the Spiders!!!!
Also the driving range next to the boat is not included and had to be paid separetely....another disappointing issue!!
I was on a groupon offer, so I did get the deal for a could price but this was spolit because of the specific menu options on the voucher, which was not stated in small print on the voucher. location not great but I knew that before arriving as i checked it on map.
On the positive side, the staff where helpful (dispite not asking us on departure "how was your stay?" ) and they tried to speak good english. I got a foot massage in the wellness centre and it was great.
Prague is stunning and I would definitely recommend it to others, but GOLFYACHT PRAGUE..... not so much!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
golfYacht, Manager at Greenyacht Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Catherine,

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
Just let me explain the points you have mentioned. We are golfYacht Hotel, yacht in the name say that we are boat, and boat on river in Prague - so we indeed can not have the same size of rooms as it is in ordinary land 4 stars hotel. In comparison with other botels our rooms are high above standard. The coffee making facilities we have not in rooms is because of safety - electricity circuits over load. Regarding simulators and tee off, it is really the issue - not the very best for golfers as your husband is. Is more for events as you mentioned and golfYacht are we more for design than for professional players. Terrace is opened when weather permits. I have to apologize for the spider issue; you were on board in time of our regular (every 3 months) desinsection. We are on river so we have to do this, so our guests do not have to come along with too many insects.
Hopefully your revue will be helpful for our future quest, because your revue is helpful for us and we will try to make our yacht better thanks your words.
With best regards