“Reminded me of Big Brother!”
Review of Royal Court Hotel

Royal Court Hotel
Ranked #68 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I booked this trip for our anniversary. I found the hotel on Lastminute, the rooms looked wonderful, and just what we were after.

We arrived at the hotel quite early, as we'd caught an early flight. Our taxi driver mentioned that he had been a taxi driver for 40 years, and he'd never come to a hotel down this particular street... a good start! We left our cases at reception, as we couldn't check in until 2pm. We wandered off into the city. One thing to note, this hotel is not really all that close to the subway. It says 300m, but I'd say it's at least double that, and more. The trams and subway system are brilliant. Cheap, and very reliable.

On our return, they couldn't find our cases. After much searching, they were found in an office. We went up to our room.

The Bedroom: Now the room does look nice, I will give them that. However, there is so little storage space! We had a small wardrobe in the corner of the room. It had 2 small shelves, and a small hanging rail in it. We were staying for 4 nights, so we had a fair few bits with us. If you put your stuff in the wardrobe, then there was nowhere to store shoes, other than under the bed. The bedding doesn't quite fit the bed, so often we'd have a bare mattress. Also, the maid used to make up our bed with the mattress bare under the pillows... odd! The quilts used on the bed are for a single bed. There is a minibar provided in the room. There is no bar in the hotel, well unless you count the "Restaurant"

I looked at the weather forecast for Prague just before we left, and even joked that I was pleased that we would have air con in the room, as the temperatures were around 30deg. The air con turned out to be a window.

The hotel is described on Lastminute.com as "nestled in a quite side street only a few steps away from the word-famous Wenceslas Square..." Well side street, yes. Quiet, no! Either side of the quiet side street is a very busy 4-lane carriageway. This is busy night and day. The quiet side street also appears to be a short cut for the emergency services. So, at 3am, with the window open, you are treated to the deafening shrill of a siren. By the 2nd night of very minimal sleep, things were getting bad (we made earplugs out of toilet paper, it go so bad!). We bought earplugs in a local chemist, and we both got a good night sleep.

The bathroom. Looks nice, but again, nowhere to put anything. I ended up storing all of our stuff in the toiletry bag, and putting it on the floor. The shower was ok, but if you're a tall person, this is not the thing for you! The instructions for the shower were finally fitted to the shower door on our 3rd day. Our toilet was constantly overflowing (back into pan, not on floor!), so we could always here running water.

The breakfast room. If there wasn't a sign pointing you to the breakfast room, you'd be mistaken for sitting in the staff canteen. Again, very minimalist. Plastic Ikea chairs, and tables. Grey flooring, pale grey walls, and numerous clocks all set to different times. Bizarre! The food was adequate. Plenty of it, so you won't go hungry.

We didn't use the spa facilities, but we only had the information sheet on it placed in our room on our 3rd day, handy when you're there for 4 days!

Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed. We had to look at this as just a cheap hotel, as that's what it felt like. It was so minimalist and contemporary; I thought they'd modelled it on Big Brother! However, down the road, next to the subway is a Novotel & Ibis, so I think I’d look at those if we come back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zooneycat

Reviewed 7 June 2008

We are a young couple and booked the hotel through lastminute.com about 2 weeks prior to our stay. First nice touch was receipt of an e-mail offering airport pick up for a fixed price direct to the hotel at a rate cheaper than guidebooks suggested to the centre of Prague. Upon arrival we checked in with no problems and were given an excellent top floor room which was well appointed, clean, and comfy. The room had one wardrobe (with a safe in the bottom), a desk, a chair, a double bed, a large wall mounted LCD TV, a DVD player, and a reasonably priced minibar fridge. The bathroom has a fantastic shower with several sprays including wall mounted jets. The breakfast was served on floor 0 of the hotel (basement) and was held between 9:15 and 11 which was good. The hotel is further from Wenceslas Square than stated, although this is not a problem if you are happy to walk for approx 20-30mins, I would not recommend this hotel to people who have trouble walking distances. Prague is a fantastic city and this hotel proved very good value for our stay. I would thouroughly recommend this hotel, it had most comfy bed I have ever stayed in!!!!! I would only not recommend this hotel if you have difficulties walking for more than 20-30 mins as it is a little way from the main attractions, contrary to what they state on their website.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MMZZ
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Too far from city centre. Small room. No Bar,
Stayed here for 5 nights with my partner. First of all they provided a car to pick us up from the airport and bring us to the hotel (650 czk) which was convenient, Staff were friendly and had good english. Our room was very very small but clean and modern. We rented dvds on several nights which was not inclusive and had to be paid for. Dvds were all dated pre 2002. Only one english channel on T.V that been World news. Bring your own dvds. Shower in bathroom was lovely. Spa was a disaster consisting only of a sauna, jacuzzi and a shower which again was not inclusive and only jacuzzi working. Breakfast was average. There is no bar even though they state that there is a bar on their site. The hotel is good ten minutes walk from nearest metro and is isolated. Even though they state on their website that it is only a few steps from Wenceslas Square, which is at least 25 mins away . Prague is a lovely city and I would definately return.

Reviewed 3 June 2008

My husband and I had a 3 day city break in Prague and found this hotel through Expedia.com. After looking at the hotel's website we were really excited to stay at the Royal Court as it looked like we'd be in for a bit of a luxurious stay....far from it.

The hotel turned out to be a long trek from the centre, miserable stafff, smelly room with very stained carpets (it had only just opened!), the bed sheets didn't fit properly on the mattress so we would wake to find ourselves lying on a bare mattress, the room was very stuffy. We didn't see any signs of a spa except that you could book a massage and I think there might have been a sauna or steam room.

Still, we had a lovely time in Prague, exploring and wandering about, just dissapointed (totally wrong that the hotel states 4 stars!! more like 1) about the hotel and wished we had done some more research and found something a bit more suitable. The hotel was really just a place for us to leave our belongings and sleep.

The hotel is fine if you are looking for a very basic, no frills, budget stay in Prague but if you're looking for something a bit more special, have a look somewhere else.

Reviewed 24 May 2008

This is a new hotel that my wife and I will NOT be returning to.

Everywhere is painted white with huge swathes of aluminium abounding with a stone floor encouraging echo. My wife described it like a mental institution and by the time we were ready to leave it was driving us both mental.

It is a 40 minute brisk walk from Wenceslas Square NOT as advertised in their website "Nestled in a quite side street only a few steps away from the word-famous Wenceslas Square"

We got to our 'superior' room to immediately find the large plasma screen TV which looked great didn't actually have the capability to play TV, still it looked nice. It was quite stuffy so we went to turn on the advertised air con only to find there wasn't any.

The receptionist (who we got to know quite well) offered us use of the hotels DVD library free of charge, films like Gone With The Wind and some 80's classics didn't really tempt us.

Well not to worry as we had brought our laptop as the hotel had "FREE Wi-Fi Internet access"...well actually it hadn't, there was no wi-fi at all.

Back to the receptionist to complain and he assured us the lead coming from the wall would provide us with 'sort of' internet access. I plugged it in and got nowhere and I work in IT.

Back to the receptionist who tried to 'configure' my laptop in a spare room, while doing so he asked if I could man the reception desk and look out for guests, by this stage all this hotel needed was a Spanish waiter called Manuel.

Internet was eventually available as long as not too many other people were also plugged in and the speed was old fasioned dial up at best.

On the first day of breakfast in the horrible echo breakfast room in the basement which a nice 60" plasma screen that remained suspiciously off, they ran out of food, we were told there was no more available.

This was the last straw for one German guest who grabbed the receptionist (who I was beginning to feel sorry for) and made him order the kitchen nurses to presumably offer up the next days food today.

The breakfast was very poor at best consisting of a small buffet selection of hot(ish) and cold sweating meats and cheeses.

Later that day my wife squealed from the bathroom when the shower decided to break and spray its contents around the bathroom, there was no shower curtain so everywhere got soaked. The bathroom fittings were poorly fitted and looked ready to drop off.

Back to reception to get that fixed.

We asked for the hotels taxiservice to get the 'few steps' to Wenceslas Square, the receptionist basically asked his friend to drive us who then asked a vastly inflated price for the 5 minute journey, we refused to pay and gave him 50% of what he asked.

In summary this is a new hotel with many teething problems and far from cosy and even further from Wenceslas Square.

Look elsewhere.

Reviewed 21 May 2008

I found this hotel on Lastminute.com, and literally booked it the night before I arrived. It was a busy time in Prague and many hotels did not have availability.

The hotel is very new, in an old building that has been renovated. In fact the building work was still not finished. I had booked an 'economy double' which turned out to be quite a small room. Nice finishings, incl large LCD TV on the wall. The room was clean and bright and the bed was comfortable. I was happy to find a safe in the closet but there was not enough space for suitcases without blocking the floor.

The shower in my room was nice but quite unusual and not easy to operate if you are not familiar with it. This could be dangerous for children or elderly people especially. The hot water was VERY hot. There were no instructions, and there was no room guide - though they assured me it was being printed.

Buffet breakfast was included, served 8-10am in a small dining room in the basement. It was quite good, basic but with everything you could want: cereal, yoghurt, fruit, toast, cold meats, cheeses and some hot items.

There is free internet access in the rooms via ethernet cable. I was told no WiFi was available, although it was advertised. Since I didn't have my own computer, the reception/concierge kindly allowed me to borrow a laptop, which was a nice touch. I was also pleased with the standard check-out time of 12 noon. Luggage storage is available.

Don't be misled by the hotel's name though. In some way it could be considered 'boutique', as it is independent and trendy decor. But don't expect too much pampering here. The 'Spa' is a bit of a joke - it's a room on the top floor which you can hire by the hour and contains a big hot tub, a fancy shower and a sauna in a cupboard. I didn't feel inclined to try it.

I observed servicing of the rooms was quite slow. On occasion I would return to the hotel after lunch, and the room was still not made up. Strangely, they only supply one bathrobe even for a double room.

The hotel location is OK, but not great. 'Quiet side street' is true - it's in a block between two very busy main roads. Access on foot is difficult as it means walking an extra block in either direction to cross underneath the road. I did find it quiet though. Aesthetically it is not the nicest part of the city but it is fairly convenient and there are several other hotels nearby (which seemed to cater to large coach tours). Although the site said 300m to metro, it is more like 800m to I.P. Pavlova station. I found it more convenient to walk to the No. 11 tram, only 2 blocks away. This will take you to I.P. Pavlova or Muzeum.

Overall, despite the small negatives, it was a satisfactory experience and quite good value.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2008

I booked this hotel through lastminute.com. First thing is first... most importantly don't be fooled by the hotel's website...the hotel is a little exaggerated with the truth when they say they are a few steps away from Wenceslas Square - more like 20-25 minutes walk away!

The rooms are actually quite nice, however thats about it really. I do not think it should be 4 star in rating. The rooms, in my opinion, deserve 4 stars but the rest of the hotel is fairly basic and quite cold in appearance and I believe should be more of a 3 star.

My room had a lovely comfortable bed, a very nice and impressive spa type shower and a large screen tv and dvd player (you can rent dvd's from reception, but they failed to tell me this and I looked all over Prague for an English dvd!! I only realised they had dvd's for rent when I saw a guest handing one back in!) .
The room had a small minibar in the fridge, which was not too expensive but there was no welcome pack in the room, not even details of how to ring down to reception, or restaurant menu, breakfast times, etc.

The "spa" is one private room which is nice but consists of only a sauna, whirlpool and shower. You have to pay for access to the spa on top of your stay, should you wish to. I did have a lovely Thai massage there though and had booked into the spa but the Sauna was not working so I did not bother to go.

The restaurant is very basic, it was adequate enough for a breakfast room (breakfast was basic but nice enough) but it is also used for evening meals and the menu is very minimal. I did not eat here in the evening.

The hotel is brand new and I feel they still have a few teething problems and seem a little disorganised in some aspects.

My stay was comfortable in terms of the room, but apart from that I do not believe the hotel deserves 4 stars, apart from for room comfort.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo