I booked this trip for our anniversary. I found the hotel on Lastminute, the rooms looked wonderful, and just what we were after.
We arrived at the hotel quite early, as we'd caught an early flight. Our taxi driver mentioned that he had been a taxi driver for 40 years, and he'd never come to a hotel down this particular street... a good start! We left our cases at reception, as we couldn't check in until 2pm. We wandered off into the city. One thing to note, this hotel is not really all that close to the subway. It says 300m, but I'd say it's at least double that, and more. The trams and subway system are brilliant. Cheap, and very reliable.
On our return, they couldn't find our cases. After much searching, they were found in an office. We went up to our room.
The Bedroom: Now the room does look nice, I will give them that. However, there is so little storage space! We had a small wardrobe in the corner of the room. It had 2 small shelves, and a small hanging rail in it. We were staying for 4 nights, so we had a fair few bits with us. If you put your stuff in the wardrobe, then there was nowhere to store shoes, other than under the bed. The bedding doesn't quite fit the bed, so often we'd have a bare mattress. Also, the maid used to make up our bed with the mattress bare under the pillows... odd! The quilts used on the bed are for a single bed. There is a minibar provided in the room. There is no bar in the hotel, well unless you count the "Restaurant"
I looked at the weather forecast for Prague just before we left, and even joked that I was pleased that we would have air con in the room, as the temperatures were around 30deg. The air con turned out to be a window.
The hotel is described on Lastminute.com as "nestled in a quite side street only a few steps away from the word-famous Wenceslas Square..." Well side street, yes. Quiet, no! Either side of the quiet side street is a very busy 4-lane carriageway. This is busy night and day. The quiet side street also appears to be a short cut for the emergency services. So, at 3am, with the window open, you are treated to the deafening shrill of a siren. By the 2nd night of very minimal sleep, things were getting bad (we made earplugs out of toilet paper, it go so bad!). We bought earplugs in a local chemist, and we both got a good night sleep.
The bathroom. Looks nice, but again, nowhere to put anything. I ended up storing all of our stuff in the toiletry bag, and putting it on the floor. The shower was ok, but if you're a tall person, this is not the thing for you! The instructions for the shower were finally fitted to the shower door on our 3rd day. Our toilet was constantly overflowing (back into pan, not on floor!), so we could always here running water.
The breakfast room. If there wasn't a sign pointing you to the breakfast room, you'd be mistaken for sitting in the staff canteen. Again, very minimalist. Plastic Ikea chairs, and tables. Grey flooring, pale grey walls, and numerous clocks all set to different times. Bizarre! The food was adequate. Plenty of it, so you won't go hungry.
We didn't use the spa facilities, but we only had the information sheet on it placed in our room on our 3rd day, handy when you're there for 4 days!
Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed. We had to look at this as just a cheap hotel, as that's what it felt like. It was so minimalist and contemporary; I thought they'd modelled it on Big Brother! However, down the road, next to the subway is a Novotel & Ibis, so I think I’d look at those if we come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Prague, in the historical court building, Royal Court Boutique Hotel and Spa is a first-class brand new hotel offering an unforgettable experience of an intimate, friendly, home-away-from-home atmosphere. Nestled in a quite side street only a minutes walk from the word-famous Wenceslas Square with its never-ending shopping, dining and entertainment choices it provides an excellent base for discovering all beauties wonderful Prague can offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Splitty, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, Cancelon, Ebookers, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Court Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Court Boutique Hotel Prague
- Royal Court Boutique Prague