“not as bad as other reviews make out!”
Review of Royal Court Hotel

Royal Court Hotel
Ranked #75 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Perth, Australia
“not as bad as other reviews make out!”
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I was slightly worried after my boyfriend booked this and then i read the reviews.... but it is not nearly as bad as everyone makes out.
The hotel room standards are up there - comfy bed, newly refurbished, plasma tv's, free wifi, aircon. The breakfast is buffet and suprisingly has bacon and eggs which is practically unheard of in Europe (however still not the best breaky).
The only downfall for me was the thin walls and the noise of the refurbishment going on upstairs.
Although for the price it is worth it!
4 stars by European standards yes.

• Liked — free wifi!
  • Disliked — the slow lift and the thin walls
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
kings lynn
Reviewed 8 October 2008

we stayed for 3 days once we arrived we were pleasantly surprised after hearing a few bad reviews on here. ok ok the square is more than a few minutes walk but if we didnt have that walk to the square we would have missed out on the cheaper pubs and restaurants which you pass on the way! why pay £5 for a coffee on the square when you can get it under half that price in the back streets in nice quaint coffee shops and restaurants. its the same for your food and alcohol, have a look round for bars and restaurants other than in the square. if you do book into this hotel then while walking into the town have a stop at the 'last call' bar on the way down the hill, they have happy hour but it lasts from 6pm till 10pm. bargain!
anyway i recommend this hotel to anyone who doesnt mind walking that extra 10 mins as its worth it for the comfy beds and soothing shower and not so bad breakfast!

• Liked — bathroom and beds
  • Disliked — dodgy dvds ( but hey it is the czech republic)
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Having read some of the reviews I was a little anxious - however, positive points are clean, friendly. No problem about leaving luggage after checking out. Very comfortable beds and despite being near busy roads, I found it quiet. About a 5-10 min walk to nearest subway and tram stations, and another 10 mins to Wenceslas Square - 20 minute walk is hardly far out of town! Easy to get to with public transport from the airport - for the equivalent of about 50 koruna (£2). Good tip when walking from the subway - you need to be walking TO the hotel with the oncoming traffic towards you - otherwise not easy to cross the road. Plenty of food at breakfast, even though help yourself.

• Liked — very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — the initial entrance is a bit off putting until you get used to it.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
worcestershire
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Very clean and comfortable hotel. Rooms were small but beds were comfortable and great shower room. Staff were really helpful. On last day I left phone under pillow and it was in reception by the time we went back to collect our bags. It is quite a walk into town (about half an hour) but it is only a ten minute walk to tram line which will take you where you need to go. The breakfast had lots of choice and was buffet so you can eat as much as you like. There is no bar which is a shame and the spa facilities seem to be in the bedrooms at he top of hotel so we did not bother trying any treatments. On the whole we were pleased with our choice of hotel its reasonably priced and it is clean, warm and friendly. Obviously fairly recently refurbished!

• Liked — The bed was really comfy and the hotel was newly refurbished and clean, the staff were really helpful
  • Disliked — It would have been nice to have had a bar and a really nice restaurant but I guess space was not availble.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Me and my boyfriend vsited Royal Court Boutique Hotel and spa in Sept 2008 and had a brilliant time! We were a bit worried to say the least about the hotel after reading some of the reviews on the internet but we wanted to set the record straight about a few things!

A lot of reviews said it was a 20-30 minute walk but it is not true! As long as you are happy to use your legs then it is not a bad distance at all. We are both 21 yrs old and walked to Wenceslas sq in about 10 mins possibly a little more, but itsnt part of the holiday soaking up the culture as you wander around?

The hotel rooms are pretty small but are prefectly well equipped, very clean and tidy, bathroom was brilliant! We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Only thing is our usual EU plug adaptor didnt fit out there and reception didnt have one we could borrow, so had to buy one from another hotel for a rather ridiculous price! The staff let us leave our cases there all day as we checked out at 11am and didnt fly till the evening.

All in all we loved prague, but would we ended up spending a LOT of money! Main cafes and bars etc in the main areas are double the price of some of the pubs just a few mins walk out of the centre. We got absolutely ripped off by a taxi back to the hotel, make sure you check the price before you get in!!

Would definately recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Tidy, clean rooms, really nice bathroom!
  • Disliked — Have had better breakfasts in my time!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prague123
lille
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I booked my trip to Prague in June. I booked everything before I checked the comment of tripadvisor. I found out that the comments of this hotel are very bad. It was my first holiday (just me and husband). I was very upset and not looking forward to my trip at all. However, when we arrived in the hotel, it was a very nice hotel. The breakfast was good with lots of choices. I never have a good sleep in the hotel except this one. My husband loves the shower stand very much. The location is not that bad, if you know where the nearest stop. It took me least than 10 mins walk from the tram station. I think I had a great time with my husband at last.

• Liked — bed and breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LilleLille
Switzerland
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Hotels in Prague rate themselves, and the Royal Court rates itself as a four star.

So lets go through their claims and see how it really rates!

"Royal Court Boutique Hotel and Spa is a first-class brand new hotel" - thats certainly true. While I was there they were still painting and getting the elevator working. In fact the staircase was blocked off with a chain because they were still painting one of the intermediate floors - something that became a bit of an issue when the lift stopped working!

"offering an unforgettable experience" - oh yeah, it was unforgettable alright. Its been 2 months and its all still very clear.

"...an intimate, friendly, home-away-from-home atmosphere" - more like a hospital, the entrance to the hotel is the first shock. Stark white painted walls contrast with the textured steel covering the stairs - seriously like a hospital - check out the photos! The corners of the walls also have steel strips on them just to add to the hospital atmosphere.

"Nestled in a quiet side street" - this gives the mental image of a sweet hotel in a quiet area. The reality is that it is on a short street connecting two of the busiest 3 lane roads in Prague.

"only a few steps away from the word-famous Wenceslas Square " - if you are a giant perhaps. A 15 minute walk to the nearest tram or underground stop, and then a few stops to Wenceslas square.

What else does it offer?
* Spa treatments - nope. The spa area hadn't been finished at all. We had booked this particular hotel because we thought we would be able to indulge and have a nice massage, but that was yet another source of disappointment.
* Elevator/Lift - true. It did work, 50% of the time.
* Wellness area - unfinished
* Laundry - unfinished
* Car rental desk - non existent
* 24 hour concierge - true
* Internet access - wifi I assume... I didn't have a computer to try it.
* Free newspaper - no sign of it
* Tour desk - non existent (maybe it is the 24 concierge)
* Air Conditioning - nope. We had to open the windows to get some fresh air
* Wireless internet - listed twice?
* Limousine Service - This was a total disaster. My partner booked the car to pick him up from the hotel, at the rather expensive sum of 25 euros (1 way). The driver failed to turn up, and after a series of expensive international mobile calls tracked him down had a second client in the car, going to a different hotel My partner arrived absolutely fuming, and the management made no apology of any sort for the stuffups.
* City tours - somewhere with the hidden tour desk?
* Parking garage - maybe it exists

Breakfast was ok; held in the antiseptic dining room in the basement, we felt like characters out of "One flew over the cuckoos nest" gazing up at the barred windows above.

The room was absolutely tiny - I think it would have to be one of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever seen. You cannot actually walk around the bed to get to the wardrobe because the chair is in the way.

So what was good? I can usually think of something positive to say about the hotels I stay in. Not much really... I had to calm my partner down to stop him demanding our money back. Ummm... the bed was new and the room was clean. The bathroom was ok, but the hot water didn't work on one day, and the water pressure made the "spa" shower pretty much redundant

Would I go back? NEVER. Would I recommend it to a friend? NEVER.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — Unfinished and antiseptic and not even close to expectations
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple