“Avoid”

Velkoprevorsky Mlyn
Ranked #1,147 of 5,498 Restaurants in Prague
Price range: US$3 - US$24
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Cheadle
“Avoid”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This restaurant is in a beautiful setting, don't fall into the tourist trap like we did.

The food was well below standard. The schnitzel was the worst I have ever had, dripping in fat. I had a beautiful one, about four times the size in a restaurant round the corner yesterday which was half the price.

You have to pay for bread and pretzels regardless of whether you eat them. When I questioned this, the waiteress told me to 'pay up and go'. She then had the cheek to ask me for a ten percent tip. I then had a post card snatched out of my hand that she had originally given me!

There are so many beautiful places to eat in Prague, this is not one of them.

2 Thank HKC100

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Zurich, Switzerland
“nice location - rest is rip off”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The beautiful set is definitely the reason why we decided to have dinner there. Once you get the menu you know that this is a tourist trap - if you do not leave by now, it's too late. What you will discover later on is: extra charge for cuttlery, extra charge for potatoes, super charge for drinks, compulsory tip leaving you at 1400 CKR for two. Still, we enjoyed the evening and the food was not bad.

3 Thank Dave4brunner
London, United Kingdom
“overpriced”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nice setting. Pretty restaurant in Prague-Venice, and the food was good, but the prices were very high.
Waitresses were downright hostile -well they know you'll never come back. They would not let us sit canal-side despite the 3 empty tables, OK they had "reserved" signs but no one came.
And then when the huge bill came, the news that they don't take card payment. Cleaned me out of cash and then demanded a tip, which the waitress took from my change without even asking me.

1 Thank Phil B
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The position is nice and the food was not all that bad however beware they charge for the bread and the pretzels. We could not complain about the service as this was ok but not with a smile.
The most off putting thing was the kittens thar roam the restaurant also walk around the empty tables rubbing themselves against the pretzels, disgusting.
Also I do not like being asked for a tip.
There are many, many better places to eat in Prague than this.

1 Thank Ray d
San Francisco, California
“A bit expensive, though I still had a nice and relaxing dinner.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

After reading all of the negative reviews, I understand the points those reviewers have brought up. At the same time, I would say that for myself, overall I had a nice and lovely dinner.

Like many who have written reviews of this restaurant I came upon this restaurant after stopping by the John Lennon Wall, and walking around that particular area of the Little Quarter and Kampa Island. I was immediately drawn to the quaint setting of the restaurant, which is right by the water wheel. The outdoor seating area is adorned with flowers and the overall decor was rather charming and relaxed. I had an early dinner around 6:00 PM or so, and there were already quite a few customers in the restaurant, so when I was there things were a little busy. I found the waitresses to be rather courteous and helpful.

I must admit dinner was the most expensive I had during my 9 days in Prague, though I felt I was not overcharged. All the prices were correct, it was just the prices were the most I had for dinner when I was in Prague. At the same time my dinner of chicken schnitzel with mashed potatoes was quite good and filling, my beer of Kozel dark was smooth, and my dessert of apple strudel was good. And since I felt the waitresses were courteous and polite, I was comfortable tipping them around 12 percent.

I found the overall ambience of the restaurant to be rather charming and quaint, and with the location being right by the water wheel, the restaurant has a rather perfect spot. I'm thinking the dinner prices are rather high because of its location. I must confess that the restaurant is rather quite expensive, but I must also add that I personally didn't see this restaurant as a tourist trap. Even with the expensive prices, I found the waitresses to be nice and efficient, and I was rather won over with the restaurant's setting and cozy charm and ambience. I felt I had a very nice and relaxing dinner that evening.

• Visited June 2014