“Great Service, fantastic rooms, really good food”

The Grand Mark Prague
Ranked #43 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed at the Kempinski Hybernska for about six weeks in November and December 2012 before moving to my flat. Hence, I had a pretty extended period of time to check out the hotel´s facilities.

Location: It is very conveniently located, very central and yet just a few steps away from the beaten tourist tracks, it is about 2 minutes walking from the Powder Tower or the Republic Square.

Hotel´s public spaces: the entrance is sort of unassuming, the same applies to the reception and lobby area; in particular the entrance door even looks a bit tacky. Here one certainly could have done a better job. I have to admit I have never liked the overall interior design concept of Kempinski hotels, they try to be special but never produce something really classy and tasteful, that also applies to the Adlon in Berlin and the Kempinski in Budapest or Kuh´damm. Their style is miles away from the likes of Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental or the Rocco Forte Collection.
However, what was really nicely done are the staircase and the corridors on the room floors. High ceilings, thick wall to wall carpets, contemporary art displayed on the walls, good lighting concept.

Rooms: During my entire stay I was lucky to have stayed in three different room categories. All rooms are very well appointed, boast all amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The bathrooms are very large, there is a bath tub and a shower cabin.

Rooms are large, clearly above average of this hotel category. There is no noise coming through the window even if you have a room facing the street.

Rooms are very clean, daily turn down service is provided as well, the larger room categories even had small kitchenettes including an oven and a Nespresso machine.

During the last week of my stay I had a duplex room facing the garden which was particularly nice and quite. The space was big enough to call it an apartment and there was a moment when I thought why not staying here rather than renting an apartment.

Restaurant: breakfast was a delight, there is a buffet style breakfast plus an extensive a la carte choice of eggs. Everything was fresh and nicely presented. Really good.

I also had dinner numerous times. I almost tried the entire menu during the six weeks period and I have to state that all dishes were excellent which is not always the case in hotel restaurants. My favourite was the tomato soup and the beef tartare for starters and as a main course the beef filet. Really delicious. Staff was very helpful, warm and friendly. I would like to highlight James, I think he is the head waiter who was particularly friendly.

Internet: there is free wifi throughout the hotel. This was actually the only point where I was not fully satisfied. For e mailing and browsing the internet wifi worked well but for downloading movies or watching online movies it did not really work. There is a cable internet connection as well which works well but it is at an extra charge.

Summary: Great location, great service, wonderful and spacious rooms. The few critical comments about design in the public areas and the rather slow wifi do not prevent me to rate this hotel with 5 stars. I do certainly recommend it and would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you do not mind the price go for the larger rooms facing the garden, either the duplex or those w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
TheaPalmer, Front Office Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that our staff as well as the hotel has provided you with a comfortable home away from home.

Regarding the internet in the hotel. We do provide wifi free of charge to our guests, which is not a high speed, therefore can not serve for downloading of movies etc. For this purpose we provide high speed cable internet for a charge.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed at Kempinski Prague for 2 nights from Friday till Sunday, we have booked a Standard room and got an upgrade to a nice Duplex room where we had our bedroom and bathroom on a second floor and living room on the first floor. Room is nicely furnitured, have huge windows and nice garden view. Concierge team (and Reception outside concierge working hours) was extremly helpful with making reservations for us and sometimes changing booking time when we requested. I want to pass my sincere thank to Libor who suggested great place for outing and dinner. I had a birthday during my stay and got a lovely cake, once again thanks for your attention!!!
A couple of drawbacks:
-when making a booking I emailed hotel first and asked if any travel industry rate were available as I am working in the travel industry and got a reply that they were "fully booked" and was offered a crazy rate of 539 Euro per room per night, than I just searched on-line and booked a room via 3rd party for 300 Euro for 2 nights!...which is 150 euro a night including breakfast....so just don't waste your time making direct bookingand do your wise search
-breakfast is being served in quite a small restaurant and is very busy in "rush hours"...on my birthday we were waiting more than 20 minutes to be seated... however I understand they are aware and do a small juice station in lobby for those who are waiting to be sitted which is nice touch
Overall I have had a positive experience except of reservation procedure where they reject direct booking and force you to book via 3rd parties.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Felix1209
TheaPalmer, Front Office Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.

It is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to our Grand Deluxe room, which has made your stay more enjoyable.

Your positive comments about our staff, have been passed onto them and will help in motivating them to continue with the great service they are providing.

In regards to your comments to travel agent rates. As we are a small property and have quite hight occupancy all year round, we do offer special rates such as travel agent rates during some periods only.

As the dates, you have been interested in, fell into a full occupancy period, the travel agent rates were unavailable and you have been offered our best available rate at that time.
These rates change daily based on occupancy level, whilst travel agent rates and 3rd party webistes are less flexible with rate change, given the rate structure.

Whilst it might have been cheaper on this occasion to book with 3rd party website, we do not intend to discourage guests from booking with us directly.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Kempinski for our honeymoon in November 2012 and it was everything we could have hoped for. The staff are all super-professional, from the doormen who always race to open any door you approach to the personable concierge and restaurant staff.
The décor and facilities are high quality without having that slightly cold and overly fancy feel you sometimes get in high-end establishments. Our room was spacious and luxurious with everything we could possibly have wanted, including a view of the castle from the balcony over the rooftops of neighbouring buildings. The bed itself (probably the most important aspect of a hotel room) was incredible - my wife and I agreed it was like sleeping on a cloud, it was that good! The bathroom was very nicely fitted out, the bath itself deep and luxurious.
Location-wise the Hotel is ideal. Just round the corner from the Metro at Namesti-Republiky (and a large shopping centre if that floats your boat) and only a 5-10 minute walk to both Wenceslas Square and the Old Town Square (Astronomical Clock etc...).
We were made to feel really special while staying at Kempinski Prague; we had flower petals spread in a heart shape on our bed when we arrived and a complimentary cake delivered later that evening. Lovely touches.
The hotel restaurant, Le Grill is well worth a visit, we had two meals there and both were exceptional. And again, when the restaurant staff discovered it was our honeymoon, they were quick to congratulate us and give us a complimentary sweet to share, complete with a personalised message in chocolate sauce! Amazing. Can't recommend the restaurant highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pwallace81
TheaPalmer, Front Office Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers around the world.

It is our utmost pleasure to read that our staff along with our beautiful rooms have made your stay very pleasant.

It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

My partner and I arrived two days before our land tour with Insight Vacations started. Instead of staying at the designated hotel, we decided to book the first two nights at the Kempinski. It was a decision that we never regreted.

We arrived at the hotel in the late morning after a 18-hour flight. Despite asking for a early check-in request when we booked the room, we were not able to check in because of the full occupany. Nevertheless, the staff were very apologetic and told us to come back 2 hours later.

Time passed very fast in a beautiful city such as Prague, Before we know, two hours had passed. It was my partner's birthday and we were upgraded to suite (being a GHA member helps too).

We were so impressed with the room and started posting pictures on our Facebook pages, The feedback was quick too... "The suite is gorgeous", "So huge" were just some of the comments. The service was just as fast as well. Even before the porter could finish briefing us on the room, another staff came with a birthday cake and some Czech Republic beer and snacks. We could not help but to write favourable comments on our Facebook.

1. The room is huge!
There is a living area, a powder room, a coat closet, a small little kitchenette (with a nespresso coffee machine), a dining table, a huge bathroom , a walk-in closet and a resaonably big bedroom! But it's the details that impressed us. The bathroom floor is heated!!!! I've stayed in many European hotels (some luxury chains as well) but none has heated bathroom floor! Buut the surprise is they placed an adlut toy in one of the bathroom drawers! We find it rather funny though.

2. The food at Le Grill is EXCELLENT!
We had our first dinner in Prague in the hotel restaurant, Le Grill. The food was great and the prices were reasonable. And the restaurant staff remembered my partner's birthday and made him a birthday cake our from small bite-sized chocolates.

3. The breakfast spread is soooooooooo GOOD.
Basically, it's a a-la-carte buffet breakfast. They will serve you the main course of your choice (eggs, bacon, etc) and you help yourself to the wide selection of cold cuts, pastries, yogurt, juices, and greens. The only drawback is that breakfast is served at the Le Grill restaurant and when the hotel is at full occupany, you may have to wait for a table.

4. The staff are very friendly.
Till date, we are still talking about our driver/ porter, Thomas. And also, the front desk manager, Thea. They provided us with useful information of where to eat and what to do. They are always going out of their way to provide assistance. Well done.

The only regret was that we couldn't stay longer as we had to transfer to another hotel to join our tour. We will definitely stay at this hotel when we return to Prague.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for such positive review about our property being it compliments about the suite, our breakfast or our staff.

We are very happy to read that you had a very memorable stay with us and are looking forward to your next visit inour hotel.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

The entrance to the Kempinski Hotel in Prague is not that impressive, but the smile on the welcoming bellman and the staff behind the front desk is quite impressive. And so was our entire stay from beginning to end. The restaurant proved to be as fine as any five-star restaurant, and the concierge staff was excellent. They were more than patient and helpful, willingly answering our myriads of questions.
As I mentioned, the lobby was small and unimpressive, and so when we entered our assigned room (which turned out to be a suite), I was literally "blown away". Beautifully designed and quite spacious with simple elegance, it felt like a home away from home.
The Kempinski Hotel is truly the perfect hotel experience and a wonderful place to stay while visiting a beautiful and historic city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
TheaPalmer, Front Office Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to read that our welcoming staff has highly contributed to your perfect stay with us.
Our Le Grill restaurant is rated among the best restaurants in Prague and we are glad to hear that your experience can only confirm this.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

This is an absolutely beautifully accommodated hotel. The rooms are amazingly comfortable and big! The bathrooms come with heated floors, beautiful bath and shower as well as heated towel racks that are large enough to hang multiple bath towels.

The service is excellent and it appears the staff want to ensure your stay is memorable. The location couldn't be better in terms of shopping, sightseeing, and walking around the old town. The St. Charles is very close and just a short walk up to the Cathedral, etc.

Would highly recommend this grand hotel!

Room Tip: Stayed in an Executive Suite and it was equipped with mini kitchen (stove, microwave and refrigerato...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
TheaPalmer, Front Office Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your complimeting review entered here on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations and our staff made you feel most welcome. We are glad to read that you had the pleasure to stay at one of our beautiful Executive Suites.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 23 October 2012

This hotel was by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in. I've travelled a fair bit and stayed in a lot of luxury hotels along the way. This hotel is beautifully decorated, well located and the staff were more than helpful. Nothing was too much hassle and staying at this hotel really made our break.

Absolutely stunning hotel and can't wait to return again very soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
PeterKnoll, General Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your complimenting entry here at tripadvisor about our hotel.

It is a pleasure to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations and you rank us among the best hotels you ever personally stayed. I took the liberty of sharing your news with my team and rest assured they are all very pleased about your words mentioned.

As you might be planning to come back to Prague, please do not hesitate to contact me personally, so I can assist you with future bookings. Until your return, a time when we may meet in person, I remain,

with best personal regards