“Also slightly disappointing....”

The Grand Mark Prague
Ranked #40 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Kempinski is a very prestigious brand so I thought I was going to be spoilt in this hotel in beautiful Prague. Normal rates for my staf of four nights as a single were about 500 Euro or more and I only paid about 280 Euro so 70 Euro a night, which is really a spectacular price for a hotel with this name on it. So I was expecting a lot but it was all a little disappointing. The garden as pictured on their website was a rather dull and unpleasant garden, the lobby area is nothing special, reception is very small and just opposite the elevators so everybody was observing mewhen I walked to my room late at night in rather casual clothes as if they were thinking is he a guest here ? Everybody was very polite but for me too polite. Doormen were Always rushing to the doors as if I could not open them myself, at breakfast you can not just order a tea but u really need to specify which type of tea, and if you choose the herbal tea how many herbs you want in it, 1 or 3, they try to us your family name as much as possible so with every phrase there is like your name appearing. So this type of service is a little too tiring and too close for me. Many others did like it but I did not. It was all like they have really studied hard on saying the right things and nothing came from the heart. Other small things were the leaking shower, a very dull amount of water coming out of the shower, the superior rooms on the sixth floor only had a very small window higher than your head and it was all cramped together as the ceiling was going down as it was on the attic floor. I was woken by a bell in my room from the intercom three times at night, between 1 and 2 AM, nobody could tell me me what it was. Paintings in the corridors were very much scratched and damaged. It felt like there was no love and care for the hotel. All TV cables where really pulled together behind the TV and everything was visible when lying in bed. Normally I would never complain about such tings but a Kempinski in a very historical and rich city and for prices at about 150 Euro a night normal rates they sould be able to do better. I was not impressed at all. Breakfast was very good however service conentrated on carrying plates and serving menu items to the guests. So every morning at 10 ( one hour before closure ) there were almost no French cheeses left, only the left overs. Never anyone bothered bringing new items for the buffet. At the last morning I finally asked because I really wanted to taste some of the cheeses once. They were happy to bring new ones but do I really need to tell this ?
So I think if u can find this hotel at the rates I got it for then no problem but I will not be returning and will go to my cheaper and even more centrally located hotel Julis again next time. But Prague will Always remain my favourite European city !

Room Tip: Sixth floor rooms are the superior ones but do believe these are really the standard touroperator or...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lesley B
Zoltan_Somlyai, General Manager at The Grand Mark Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your time and efforts to share your comments about your recent stay on Tripadvisor. Guests feedback are very important for us, let it be negative or positive. We always use them during our trainings as an example and try to find the way to make our guests satisfied. We were happy to read that on some fields our services were over your expectation, although we also took a note of your critics. We hope that in spite of the bad experience you did not lose your faith in our hotel and we can welcome you in the near future when your next trip brings you in Prague.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Mark Prague

Reviewed 12 November 2013

From the moment we arrived to the minute we left over 5 days service was great. Hotel is in a perfect location for exploring. We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite for our stay … and this was really so homely and comfortable. Modern suite with great bathroom and comfortable furnishings. Breakfast was included in our rate and this was the only let down … other 5 stars provide a better buffet with greater variety .. coffee was terrible! and only gripe would be that you have to order bacon, omelettes etc.. via waiter/waitress and would have been nicer to help ourselves! they should also not charge more for a poached egg! all of this aside as this really was the only let down … its a great 5 star hotel. Restaurant dinner in Le Grill was very good the first evening ,,, I would certainly recommend ...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank piggy1102
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed two nights at the executive suite, and everything was perfect, the room was very spacious and clean, the staff was very helpful and friendly. THe only downside was the spa that is located across the street inside a mall under another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iamelo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Rooms were nice, big enough for our daughter to spend the night in the second room. Bathroom big and lots of marble. Small kitchenette area and the balcony was nice too. TV selection was horrible but probably not the hotels fault. Front desk folks nice but certainly not going out of their way to accommodate. Lobby area not all that welcoming and no one really spent time in it. We also did not try the restaurants - they did not draw us in. Good, maybe even great location for us tourists. Very close to the Old Town Square, easy walk to Chain Bridge, and many other destinations. Would stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Upintheairtoomuch
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I find it quite hard to criticise as the hotel is generally very nice and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. However, we booked a suite and were very disappointed with the size of the bedroom (very tight) and a joke of a dressing room/wardrobe. Given the cost, this should have been better. Housekeeping was a little random - only one tea bag and no milk. Finally, the gym is tiny so it was lucky that i was the only user. The breakfast is superb, and the location and bar were excellent. Probably 3.5 stars.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SmallWallah
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Great location, and an easy walk to the old market square and the municipal building. The rooms are recently redone and are spacious. The staff was all very helpful, and the property was well maintained. The food in the restaurant was delicious, and we ate one of the best dinners on our trip at our hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the center garden in the back are very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank detailedplanner
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Good location in the quite street in the old town area. Very nice and well equip room. The breakfast is really wonderful, fill with variety and good quality items.

The service is inconsistency. It could be better though. I went in to have a breakfast one day during their peak period. And I just want to see if my friend we already there but one of the staff jump on me with the attitude.

On my second day of breakfast, the service was impeccable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends