“Fine hotel, not so fine location”

Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel
Ranked #158 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Munich, Germany
“Fine hotel, not so fine location”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

As always I was here on business - I did like the hotel very much, although even I (not a tourist) found myself grumbling at the location.

Everything works very well here. Check-in was very quick - I was allocated a lovely room. I did find the room-service menu to be rather limited and a little disappointing. However breakfast was excellent (although very busy) and the gym was fine.

I think most people would be disappointed with the location - it is not really near anything at all!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SPG_JJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Like most euro Sheraton hotels this is much nicer in look and feel than a US Sheraton. The hotel is a bit of a maze, which makes for a much more interesting structure than your average hotel. It has two disconnected areas for rooms, one at the front, one at the back. I've stayed all over the place by now, and every area has its pros and cons. Rooms at the back end of the hotel tend to be smaller both in footprint and in ceiling height, but can offer some of the few stunning views from this place, out to the Castle. Rooms on the front side are bigger, with very high, old-European-building style ceilings, have no view of interest and half of them will face the hotel's street, Zitna, which is definitely a busy artery. The double windows do shield any noise in these rooms very effectively, but being in a courtyard-facing room will help if you like to open the windows, as I do for a few minutes even when the temps are sub-freezing all day.

The rooms come in all shapes and sizes - I have never had two anywhere near the same. More interestingly, the bathrooms have to fit in whatever spaces are available: they all tend to be spacious, but laid out in all manner of different ways. Most have tubs with shower heads over them, as noted in other reviews, some do have standalone showers too. All in all, this is one of the most creative hotel redevelopments I have come across.

The club lounge is in line with what one comes to expect in European hotels that offer this sort of amenity - lots of options, high quality, and you can make a meal of things in the evening if you are so inclined, although it would be a pity if you missed Prague's local pub culture and many other options for food and drink these days. The restaurant's main breakfast offering is of very high quality, too, they even have a small corner offering local, organic products: breads, preserves and cakes.

The staff has always been friendly, for the most part very good, I have had a couple of issues getting some things done with them but on the whole it has not been a problem. They come from all over Europe, which is a fun and interesting aspect of staffing SPG properties out there.

The location may leave some folks underwhelmed, but seems perfectly safe to me; I've been out and about as late as 5am around here, and never come across any issues at all. The location works well for my purposes, as it is close to two metro stations, in fact: one will get you to the airport (through Zlicin) in 45 minutes, the other gets me to the office in 20 minutes or less. There are tons of trams running through the square, up Jecna and at IP Pavlova, and Lazarska nearby is the central node for night tram service. You will be hard pressed to be in a better location for access to public transportation.

A short walk up the hill on Zitna and Anglicka will get you to the western end of Vinohrady, which offers the best combination of local food and drink establishments, of good quality, as well as some of the best ethnic Vietnamese and Indian restaurants in town. It's a short walk to Vaclavske Namesti, and the old town is not far beyond. Prague, like most big eurpoean cities, and even NY in my view, is best explored on foot, with a smattering of public transport when needed. There are definitely some very nice hotel in Old Town, and some other big name hotels on the edge of old town on Celnici, but for me those places end up being a bit more limited in how you can move about the city, while this is in many ways the perfect location to get to anywhere in town.

The smoking thing ... well, it's still hard in central Europe, if you are used to smoke free environments. While this doesn't bother me, it will bother some for sure. I don't get a sense that the hotel is outright bad about this, but I am sure there can be problems with the fact that folks can still smoke in the hotel's rooms, and once you are out of the place and into the city's establishments you can't fail to notice for the most part how overwhelmingly present the practice still is.

Just about the only issue I have with the place is the cost of beer at the bar, but it's not worth dwelling on for sure.

All in all, this is a high quality hotel, imaginatively renovated, with a great club lounge and flexible, convenient location. Of the four places I have stayed at in Prague it is my favorite, and I look forward to being back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side are bigger, but don't really offer much in the way of views (unless per...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MarcdSF
Sheraton_Prague, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for posting this fantastic and very complex review of our hotel. Indeed as you wrote, it was quite a challenge fitting our hotel into the old buildings during their renovation. The layouts of rooms and bathrooms are not always standardized, but we did our best to use the space as effectively as possible. I hope you will keep coming back to the Sheraton Prague Hotel and that we will manage to always make your stay an enjoyable one.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

Well i would expect more from Sheraton .. Location isnt best, fair walk from all famous squares.. Rooms are too small at a price. Requires booking card verification and charged at worse rate if you fail. Honey cake at the bar is amazing!

• Stayed December 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2013

The hotel is centrally located about 5 blocks from Wencislas Square and not much further to the astrological clock. If you like to walk a city (and where better than in Prague), this is a good option. It's also a block and a half from the metro line which is extremely convenient and cost effective to use too. The building is a little outdated--not just because it is old but the furnishings are a little old, although the rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was also large although there was no shower available--bath only. If you are an SPG member (you know if you are) and have access to the little bar area for breakfast and snacks, do take advantage of it. The food isn't amazing but it's a nice pick me up after work and certainly ample enough to fill you in the morning. The restaurant on the other side of the lobby has mediocre food and nothing interesting on the menu to make me come back a second night athough the tuna tartare was very good; the goulash unflavorful and heavy. The spa area was a bit unsanitary for my taste and not just because others are without clothes--no one wipes down where peope sit and others don't bother to use a towel. Ewwww.

Room Tip: Try one on the lower floors as smoke seems to come through the floors/ceilings and walls which, depe...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SuzanneGarber
Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Prague Hotel. The rest was duly noted as candid feedback from our guest, which is extremely useful for us to further improve the level of service we are providing. Thank you for choosing our hotel and hope you will decide to return to Prague soon.

Kind regards,

Melbourne
Reviewed 13 January 2013

After a long haul flight from Australia, we were pretty shattered by time we arrived in Prague at the stated check in time of 3pm. Frustratingly, the room was not ready on arrival despite the hotel being half empty. We had to sit in the lobby for 45 mins until it became available. Despite clearly stating that a non smoking room was required and that this was not negotiable, the room stank of cigarette smoke and the previous guests had clearly been smoking in the room. By then, it was -8C outside and dark, it had already been prepaid, we were exhausted and had waited in the lobby for an almost an hour, so we couldn't muster the energy to try find another hotel.
The hotel is not in the best area of town and is adjacent a couple of stripper bars, but Prague is a small enough city that almost everywhere is walkable. There are several restaurants just a few mins away.
The bed was large and comfortable. The gym was okay with a handful of treadmills and there was free wifi in the lobby areas, but not in the hotel rooms.
Overall, it was okay value for a Sheraton hotel but with the room not available on arrival, the foul smell of cigaretter smoke and the not so great area, it was not usual experience expected from a Sheraton Hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on nonsmoking room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SquawkerMelbourne
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and providing us with feedback regarding your stay. First of all I would like to apologize for the incident at your arrival. I can imagine it was not the ideal welcome experience after a flight from Australia, and I will certainly discuss this with the appropriate manager to avoid situations like these in the future.

I hope you will have a chance to return to Prague and give us an opportunity to remedy ourselves.

Warm regards,

Irvine, California
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Was very happy with our stay in Prague... the rooms were pleasant and the staff was very helpful. For an older building, the rooms were nicely appointed and updated. Very similar to other Sheratons we have stayed in Europe. Not much of a view from our room but it was quiet and we had a small balcony... we did not spend much time in our room so it was not a big deal. Although not in the center of the old town, it was not a far walk or you could take the tram which you can pick up from Charles Square. We actually don't mind staying a bit outside the city center; we like to explore the city and more importantly we don't have to navigate the throngs of tourists who tend to flood the city center. On the way to/from the city center, we picked up breakfast at a nice bakery and found places to grab dinner.

We needed to fax some documents back to the US and they were helpful in assisting us. Would definitely consider staying here again if we are fortunate to return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I found the hotel to be very nice and the service to be solid. Our room was modern, spacious and clean. Unfortunately, the location of this hotel just wasn't that good. It was not centrally located, and it was a long, cold walk to the attractions most tourists are interested in. Were it not for the locaiton of this property, I would have designated the Sheraton a 'very good' rather than an 'average'.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheraton_Prague, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all let me thank you for reviewing your stay in our hotel on Tripadvisor. Despite the overall score, I'm happy to learn you enjoyed your stay in Prague and in our hotel. I can understand your view of our location, but at the same time I think there are many interesting attractions and places within easy walking distance of the hotel, be it the Dancing House, National Museum or the Vltava River with its beautiful banks. As well, public transport (trams and subway) is just a few steps away. Let me finish by recommending a second visit to Prague, this time during summer. I am positive you will be able to enjoy the city and our surroundings much more.

Warm regards,