“Memorable 2013 New Years!”

Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel
Ranked #148 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Wow, Prague has changed quite a bit since I had been there last in 2002! Most of the architecture has been unchanged but Prague is quickly becoming a cosmopolitan city that is looking for it's unique identity. The Sheraton Prague quickly became my base of operation to plan my winter Eastern European Excursion. The team there quickly became family. Monica greeted us warmly upon check-in...and gave us super personal service. Anything we needed or had questions about, she and Petra were able to help us with. They were familiar with our travel itinerary and helped us ensure that the hotel was able to accommodate whenever possible. The Sheraton Lounge was really amazing, probably one of the most personable lounges I have ever been to. Karim, who manages the lounge, does an exceptional job with exhausted travelers making them feel at home. He's always personable, considerate, and very aware of traveler's preferences. It was great getting to know Karim since he seemed to know where the best restaurants and pubs are in Prague. The breakfast buffet and happy hour hor d'oeuvres were consistently good. Sometimes they'll throw in roasted duck which is really unique compared to other Sheraton lounges, where the most you'll get is cheese. Getting in and out of the hotel was really easy. Being from NYC, we walk a lot, so I had no issues with location. There is a great Czech restaurant across the street for local food. There is also a great Vietnamese restaurant across the street too if you are looking for something lighter. The rooms at times can be noisy due to street traffic, but overall all the amenities are what you would expect from a multi-star hotel. Water is hot and they do a great job keeping up with keeping the hotel nice!

Room Tip: Go see Karim in the Lounge!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Sheraton_Prague, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

What a great review that you posted on Tripadvisor! Thank you very much, especially for praising the professional yet personal attitude of our associates Monika, Petra and Karim. I will be more than happy to share your feedback with them and the whole Sheraton Prague team. Whenever you decide to return back to Prague, we will be more than happy to treat you as our guest again.

Warm regards,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Stayed here for one night for business as I thought it was near the Old Town. Service was quite nice however the room was rather small, with a non-existent view. I was also a bit surprised that there was no wired internet option (wifi only), which essentially forces you to purchase the internet plan should you choose to stay connected. Otherwise, the room is fine and the bed was quite comfy.

Location wise, the hotel is in what is called "New Town" and is about a 20-25 min walk to some of the touristy sites (ie Astronomical Clock). There are tram options nearby as are taxis.There didn't seem to be much in the way of entertainment nearby so your best bet would be to explore away from the hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and posting a review of your stay in our hotel. I'm sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your stay. As far as the Internet connection is concerned, there is an Internet plug in every room. However due to a vast majority of guests using the Wi-Fi option, the cables are provided upon request. I will use your feedback and discuss this internally to see whether we can somehow streamline the process. Once again thank you for your stay and review.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We've just returned from a very nice stay at the Sheraton in Prague. Hotel location was fine for us. Our room, though it had no view, was very peaceful. The whole place was pristine. Breakfast was buffet style with loads of choice and an omelette chef who would whip you up the omelette of your choice in minutes. The staff were very polite and well-trained. The young man at the front desk was kind enough to book our taxi for the airport but as we were about to leave a call came through to say that our taxi was delayed.The staff couldn't have been more helpful or concerned to ensure our safe departure.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Having spent two nights of personal time at the Hilton Old Town, I had developed a level of expectation that was not met by the Sheraton. This doesn’t appear to be one of the nicer areas of town as there was a gentlemen’s club right next door, but I didn’t feel unsafe walking around. There are several restaurants in the area if you want to sit down and have a meal, generally in a smoke-filled bar, but I couldn’t find any place to get something quick other than a small grocery store.

You are greeted by reservations personnel at either one of two desks or a podium. I can understand why they might do this but it does cause a little confusion at check-in. I asked for a non-smoking room which was confirmed, but check-in took a little longer than expected.

The hotel appears to be located in several older buildings so I suspect rooms are of a different size depending on location. Once I had gotten to my room and unpacked, I noticed the ash trays and once I bumped the heating on, I smelled the smoke. I am very sensitive to smoke so the following morning I asked the front desk about this. They told me the room was supposed to be non-smoking, although I noticed later that other floors were marked non-smoking and mine wasn’t. They didn’t offer to move me but they did spray to reduce smoke smell. I was able to minimize the impact by keeping the heat off. I was disappointed that the staff could not help me.

My room was very nice and the bathroom was quite large. The blinds did a great job keeping the light out, but I found the lighting in the room to be very inadequate. The internet in room had problems due to the number of folks from my company working there. Be aware…there is a $2.50 charge for toll-free calls. Although the front-desk confirmed this, I was not charged for my calls.

Several other folks from my company had issues and the hotel was very unpleasant in how they handled them. I would say that the staff supporting the meeting rooms was outstanding and always willing to help.

The restaurant was very good, but room service was very very expensive especially when the quality of the food was below average at best. It seemed like they may have been taking advantage of the limited offerings in the area as the Hilton room service was a much better deal for high quality food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Scott H
Sheraton_Prague, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and submitting a review of your stay in our hotel. Despite many nice comments you mention am I am sorry to hear about your incident with the room. Please let me assure you that I will discuss this with the responsible manager and make sure misunderstandings like these are handled professionally and efficiently. I will also make sure your other feedback is handled with attention it deserves.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

As always I was here on business - I did like the hotel very much, although even I (not a tourist) found myself grumbling at the location.

Everything works very well here. Check-in was very quick - I was allocated a lovely room. I did find the room-service menu to be rather limited and a little disappointing. However breakfast was excellent (although very busy) and the gym was fine.

I think most people would be disappointed with the location - it is not really near anything at all!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank SPG_JJ
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Like most euro Sheraton hotels this is much nicer in look and feel than a US Sheraton. The hotel is a bit of a maze, which makes for a much more interesting structure than your average hotel. It has two disconnected areas for rooms, one at the front, one at the back. I've stayed all over the place by now, and every area has its pros and cons. Rooms at the back end of the hotel tend to be smaller both in footprint and in ceiling height, but can offer some of the few stunning views from this place, out to the Castle. Rooms on the front side are bigger, with very high, old-European-building style ceilings, have no view of interest and half of them will face the hotel's street, Zitna, which is definitely a busy artery. The double windows do shield any noise in these rooms very effectively, but being in a courtyard-facing room will help if you like to open the windows, as I do for a few minutes even when the temps are sub-freezing all day.

The rooms come in all shapes and sizes - I have never had two anywhere near the same. More interestingly, the bathrooms have to fit in whatever spaces are available: they all tend to be spacious, but laid out in all manner of different ways. Most have tubs with shower heads over them, as noted in other reviews, some do have standalone showers too. All in all, this is one of the most creative hotel redevelopments I have come across.

The club lounge is in line with what one comes to expect in European hotels that offer this sort of amenity - lots of options, high quality, and you can make a meal of things in the evening if you are so inclined, although it would be a pity if you missed Prague's local pub culture and many other options for food and drink these days. The restaurant's main breakfast offering is of very high quality, too, they even have a small corner offering local, organic products: breads, preserves and cakes.

The staff has always been friendly, for the most part very good, I have had a couple of issues getting some things done with them but on the whole it has not been a problem. They come from all over Europe, which is a fun and interesting aspect of staffing SPG properties out there.

The location may leave some folks underwhelmed, but seems perfectly safe to me; I've been out and about as late as 5am around here, and never come across any issues at all. The location works well for my purposes, as it is close to two metro stations, in fact: one will get you to the airport (through Zlicin) in 45 minutes, the other gets me to the office in 20 minutes or less. There are tons of trams running through the square, up Jecna and at IP Pavlova, and Lazarska nearby is the central node for night tram service. You will be hard pressed to be in a better location for access to public transportation.

A short walk up the hill on Zitna and Anglicka will get you to the western end of Vinohrady, which offers the best combination of local food and drink establishments, of good quality, as well as some of the best ethnic Vietnamese and Indian restaurants in town. It's a short walk to Vaclavske Namesti, and the old town is not far beyond. Prague, like most big eurpoean cities, and even NY in my view, is best explored on foot, with a smattering of public transport when needed. There are definitely some very nice hotel in Old Town, and some other big name hotels on the edge of old town on Celnici, but for me those places end up being a bit more limited in how you can move about the city, while this is in many ways the perfect location to get to anywhere in town.

The smoking thing ... well, it's still hard in central Europe, if you are used to smoke free environments. While this doesn't bother me, it will bother some for sure. I don't get a sense that the hotel is outright bad about this, but I am sure there can be problems with the fact that folks can still smoke in the hotel's rooms, and once you are out of the place and into the city's establishments you can't fail to notice for the most part how overwhelmingly present the practice still is.

Just about the only issue I have with the place is the cost of beer at the bar, but it's not worth dwelling on for sure.

All in all, this is a high quality hotel, imaginatively renovated, with a great club lounge and flexible, convenient location. Of the four places I have stayed at in Prague it is my favorite, and I look forward to being back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side are bigger, but don't really offer much in the way of views (unless per...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank MarcdSF

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for posting this fantastic and very complex review of our hotel. Indeed as you wrote, it was quite a challenge fitting our hotel into the old buildings during their renovation. The layouts of rooms and bathrooms are not always standardized, but we did our best to use the space as effectively as possible. I hope you will keep coming back to the Sheraton Prague Hotel and that we will manage to always make your stay an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

Well i would expect more from Sheraton .. Location isnt best, fair walk from all famous squares.. Rooms are too small at a price. Requires booking card verification and charged at worse rate if you fail. Honey cake at the bar is amazing!

• Stayed: December 2012