“Nice Building But....”

Augustine, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Prague
Ranked #31 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We are staying in another hotel in Prague and my wife had an excellent day at the Augustine Hotel spa (at London prices!) thoroughly enjoying not seeing another client in the five hours she was there. On deciding to eat in the hotel bar I am afraid to say that the kitchen appeared to be unable to deliver a hamburger without the roll being burnt and the burger overcooked - even after the first one was returned and I explained exactly how I wanted it. Strangely, the waitress tried to tell me how I wanted it was wrong. I then enquired about a room for a couple of nights and, even though the hotel was almost empty, I was told the 'politics' meant that they were unable to offer anything but the rack rate. To be honest I left disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter K
Thomas S, Owner at Augustine, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Day Guest,
I am very disappointed to learn about the issue regarding the hamburger you ordered in the Bar.
The hostess has since been interviewed and due to her poor English, she has been taken off the floor for further training.
I am sorry that this experience did not leave a good impression as The Augustine is a far greater experience than a hamburger, but you are right in complaining about it.
On the subject of rates, can you please let me know your thoughts why Prague should be cheaper than London or Paris. We pay extremely good salaries with benefits to our staff, our other operating costs are equally matched in the rest of Europe and I am sure the spa ingredients, which come from England were to your liking.
The team and I would be delighted if you were to come and stay at The Augustine, which will give you and your wife an opportunity to understand that the price is what you pay and the values what you receive.
Sincere best wishes for a happy festive season.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have been to Prague twice and both times I have stayed at The Augustine.
It is a wonderful place and the people make it even better.
Each request was met with a smile and a happy to help attitude...they definitely went above and beyond the call of duty.
The rooms are lovely, and quite spacious. The decor in the rooms and throughout the hotel are quite stylish and chic. And I just loved the bathrooms...the huge soaking tubs are divine after a day of sight seeing...ahhhh...though watch out for the step into and out of the tub.
I had a few meals at the hotel and they were all very good.
A stop by the old brewery downstairs is a must! The beer was on point.
Hotel is in a fabulous location, with walking distance to most of the major sites and great restaurants nearby (La Finestra is a must! : ). I would not want to stay anywhere else while in Prague. PS- heated floors...very nice touch on chilly days!
One day my back hurt after walking too much and I just laid on the warm floor...and it felt great! :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Destinique

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your wonderful comment and positive experience you enjoyed at The Augustine.
We would be delighted to have you return.
May I recommend that the next time your back hurts, you go to The Augustine Spa. In the meantime, we will investigate if we can ship the heated bathroom floor to you but out other guests love it too!
Warmest regards from us all at The Augustine and best wishes for Thankgiving and the festive season.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed in The Augustine, which location is perfect for discovering Prague, for four nights and it was a wonderful stay. I had a room with a fascinating view to Prague Castle. The room size was ok (not as big as in other Rocco Forte hotels). The interior was modern and matched perfectly with the historic building - so you can feel very comfortable.
Breakfast was really good. There is a small buffet, additional and very delicate food can be ordered separately. Extraordinary special requests are fulfilled immediately. It really impressed me, that the waitress remembered my special request the next day and I received the food without having to ask for it. I never had this before!

Room Tip: room with view to Prague Castle - it's amazing
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 19Sophie87
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Augustine in early October and couldn't have been more pleased. Our overall experience compared favorably to other hotels we like such as the Peninsula Hong Kong and Ciragan Palace in Instanbul. We got a prompt response to our pre-arrival requests for help in making spa and restaurant reservations and were made to feel that we were valued guests. The hotel was beautifully created out of a monastery and is charming and luxurious with a careful attention to detail. It is very well located near the Prague Castle and a very short walk to the Charles Bridge with a number of very good restaurants within easy walking distance. We had a large, well-lit room with an equally large and well-lit bathroom with double sinks. Housekeeping was excellent and unobtrusive. All of the hotel staff (front desk, concierge, doormen, restaurant, spa )were attentive, helpful and friendly and you got the feeling that they really cared about doing everything possible to make your stay exceptional. The spa facilities were very nice and there was an extensive list of treatments. I recommend the beer ritual. Our rate included a tasty and generous breakfast buffet. One morning we overslept and although breakfast service had ended we were able to have coffee in the bar where the bar personnel managed to also provide breakfast rolls and pastries. We had late dinner one night at Elegantes. The quality of the food was exceeded only by the friendly and attentive service. Although the hotel is not inexpensive we thought we got good value. If you visit Prague this is a wonderful choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here for New Year last year and cannot rate the hotel highly enough. Great location with everything in easy walking distance. The hotel itself is very luxurious and the staff attentive and friendly, the whole place feels nice, not at all stuffy. The bar is a great place to hang out before dinner. Yes it isn't cheap but for a few nights of luxury it is worth every penny.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I a wonderful time in this hotel. Rooms were big. Bathrooms were spacious. Design was elegant. Breakfast was a good spread. A luxe experience all around. Location is quite central too. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of August,2013. This hotel is as close to perfection as seems possible. The location is absolutely the best possible in Prague. It is centered in the "Little Quarter" which is just below the Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral and Strahov Monestary and just 5 minutes from the Charles Bridge and easy walking distance to about everything Prague offers. The neighborhood itself is perhaps the nicest in the city. It is a beautifully restored Baroque neighborhood, with important historic credentials; from Wallenstein Palace and Gardens immediately next door to the iconic and very bohemian "Lennon Wall" a few blocks away. The hotel itself is new; having been created from a Medieval monestary which continues to operate in the same structure, behind closed doors. The service is pleasant, extremely friendly and impeccable. The facilities including the rooms are the epitome of understated elegance; paying homage to its monastic past, yet not skimping on modern luxe comforts. Bed comfort, square footage and sound proofing are second to none. The bar is comfortable and inviting with the added plus of being essentially the only place in the world that one can enjoy a St. Thomas Ale, the adjacent monk's own home brew which I , as a not naive beer snob, can attest is one of the best I have ever tasted! The food and service is superb, especially breakfast. The concierge will make sure that if you desire dining at the best that Prague has to offer, you will be accomodated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank surf949
Thomas S, Owner at Augustine, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Your reviews are such a compliment, for which we thank you. The odd truth is that a few members of the noble families and even royal families from the Hapsburg Empire were buried in the monastery garden and with so many palaces and castles in and around Prague, it's no surprise.
The Augustine is clearly much loved by the vast majority of our guests and we are so please that your choice to stay with us was well rewarded.
Coming all the way From California, sometimes sounds daunting but it's a hop into Heathrow or Frankfurt and the next thing you know, you are in one of Unesco's most medieval cities......still as pretty as when it was first built.....
Nest time, please try our special St. Thomas beer cocktails!
Best wishes for the coming festive season.