“a late lunch to die for”

Augustine, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Prague
Ranked #39 of 649 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“a late lunch to die for”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Walked casually passed this hotel and notice an advert on the glistening white wall for St Thomas's beer - but the unassuming entrance caught my attention. Returned for a very late lunch and from the concierge at the glass entrance we had our first experience of the St Augustine's hotel. The decor was just fabulous and suited the taste my friend and I liked. Now to the meal - the starter was heaven sent - cucumber gazpacho with avocado and prawns - it was like eating a cloud - light, flavoursome (the mint - chilli ??undertones) words like veloute came to mind. The main course mine was good but how could you follow such perfection - rhetorical question. My friend had the gazpacho too followed by wild boar ragout - he said it was the best meal he had ever had. The service was crisp but welcoming with plenty of smiles - even the green tea was served perfectly. My friend had the St Thomas's beer and as a real ale fan really enjoyed it - I had a tiny taste and I knew it was clear and hoppy. This one experience (my birthday by the way) was superb - so much so that on the basis of just one meal I want to return and stay at this hidden away real gem.

Room Tip: Cannot answer this as we only stayed for late lunch
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Matej V, Manager at Augustine, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Prague, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Deer dreensy,

thank you very much for your lunch review at our Augustine Restaurant! Our culinary team was extremely happy with your review and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back at the restaurant and so as well at the hotel for your next city break in Prague!

With best regards from Prague

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was lucky to stay in the Augustine recently for a work trip. Having not made the booking, nor selected the hotel, I didn't arrive with any expectations.

Driving through the archway into the courtyard I knew I was in for a special treat. There is something so special & unique about this hotel. Perhaps its the romance of its history (being a converted monastery), blending so perfectly with modern amenities & superb service.

Often I find hotels are either perfect for work, or perfect for holidays. And I have to say the Augustine is perfect for both. Opening into a large foyer with access to the bathroom & separate closet going off each side, the bedroom itself was large & comfortable with separate armchairs & a desk (I'm always thankful for a desk on work trips).

Would I come again, definitely. Its so perfectly located close to the Charles Bridge, but tucked away so you don't get caught up in the masses of tourists that tend to stream through the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Matej V, Manager at Augustine, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Prague, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear guest,

we are as team at The Augustine very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that it was special for you. Also the fact that you see The Augustine suitable for your work and as well for relax is very important to us!

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

With best regards

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Augustine for two nights earlier this month as part his 50th birthday celebration. From the moment we arrived in Prague to the final moments of our departure we received exceptional, warm and caring service. We arrived via train, in this case the Orient Express, and the hotel's driver was waiting directly outside our carriage when the train pulled into the station. From there we were whisked away to this absolutely stunning hotel where we were greeted with champagne during check in. Our room was beautiful and wonderfully curated with lovely art and books. The hotel had also arranged for a birthday cake and a bottle of champagne to be delivered to our room - a special touch that made our stay that much more memorable. For all it's beauty, what truly makes the Augustine stand head and shoulders above the crowd is the service. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. I cannot thank the management and staff of the Augustine enough for making my husband's birthday celebration one which we will never forget. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Allison C,

thank you for your nice review about The Augustine! We are very happy that our team had the opportunity to make your husband´s birthday celebration memorable to both of you. We all at The Augustine strive to deliver personalized service and I´m very happy to read that we succeed.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you or some of your friends back to The Augustine!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is tucked away in central Prague suit is not so easily found but once you have found it you should be pleasantly surprised with how good it is. Try to avoid rooms facing the street where the trims runs by and you could feel the vibrations otherwise it has been a great find that I have returned to several time. The spas steam room and sauna are free, and the gym is adequate but nothing really special. The real treat is the bars and the St. Thomas beer that is brewed exclusively for the hotel. There are tasting glasses so you can try before you buy. The hotel was a former monastery and you can sk for a tour of the monastery which the remaining portion is next door.

Room Tip: avoid the top floor the rooms look very interesting but the sloped ceilings can be trouble for talle...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was fortunate to stay at the The Augustine for a week on a business trip with my husband! This is definitely a beautiful tranquil 5 star boutique hotel just a few minutes from the Charles bridge. The staff we extremely polite and helpful. Wonderful service and dinner in the restaurant lovely. Best hotel to stay in Prague!!

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank businessman192
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Beautiful hotel in the absolute centre of Mala Strana that is blissfully quiet and tranquil. 2 minutes from the metro and 1 minute from the tram it is the perfect base for seeing the city. Until recently the building was part of the Monastery (a part of which still exists next door). The conversion to a hotel has be tastefully done. The rooms are modern, functional and well thought out. The hotel staff are polite and extremely helpful and most referred to me by name (which was a nice touch). There is also some limited car parking on site which is practically gold dust in central Prague.

I personally was a little disappointed with the service and food at breakfast but not to the point of making a complaint and I appreciate that these things are subjective. Everyone else seemed most content so it was probably just me! :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoamingRuss
Flint
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed three nights in this boutique hotel and enjoyed every minute. It was quiet which is a huge plus for me. I loved the heated floors in the bathroom and the contemporary styling in the room. We were bumped up to this hotel due to overbooking at the Hilton. Lucky us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple