“Higher amount to be paid than the bill said, poor breakfast and no slepp but nice staff and clean”
Review of Prague Square

Prague Square
Ranked #98 of 675 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I booked the hostel on the internet after I had read quite nice reviews.
Sadly, directly upon our arrival I noticed somewhat angrily, that I had to pay the bill which I got per mail in Euro, in Czech Crowns and not only that, but the amount was significantly higher than it originally said on the bill. The original amount should have been 89,64 Euros, what I really paid was 2300 Czech Crowns. With the actual exchange rate being 24 Crowns= 1 Euro that's almost 6 Euros more. For a poor student like me that's actually a lot of money, but I didn't object, since they for sure would have told me some weird reason for them charging more, maybe something like an alternate exchange rate in this case. Anyways,
I got even angrier, when I had to go exchange my Euros into Czech Crowns and tried to do so at the foreign exchange office right next to the hostel. They actually charged me almost 18% commission, which is a lot, namely almost 20 Euros, in case you exchange 100 Euros.
Well, this of course ruined my first day in Prague for good, since no one at the reception had warned me about that.

Other than that it should be noted, that the hostel was quite clean, nicely decorated and the staff was very nice and spoke very good English, but the breakfast was a single, rather small sandwhich you could pick up at the reception and then you could help yourself to some orange juice out of a (in my case) quite dirty jug (some dirt was actually floating in my juice) and cereal in the kitchen.

And of course, it should be noted as well, that if you are looking for a central place to stay specifically because you want to visit all the sites, you should not count on much sleep if you are staying at this hostel, because most visitors are only there to party, preferably in their rooms with open doors.

But you know .. it's cheap (or supposed to be), so one shouldn't complain too much.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita S
There are newer reviews for Prague Square

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Staff were extremely helpful. It was clean, and in an amazing location (once we finally managed to find it). Only negatives, there wasn't much choices for breakfast, or much space to sit and eat it. Noise was a problem a few times, but not a regular occurrence.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The cleanest hostel i saw so far!!!! The bathroom facilities are top! The staff is very friendly and has an open ear for all your questions! This hostel has a great location, right in the old town center of prag! You don´t need any transport tickets to go around the city! So you can reach the most sights by foot! We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy87_12
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed at the Prague Square Hostel in October of 2011. It was a nice hostel I enjoyed it very much. The staff were excellent and the rooms were adequate. It was kind of loud there and some younger inconsiderate kids that stay there make it hard to get sleep but it is over all a very nice hostel. It is decently clean not as clean as other places but better then some. It has a friendly lounge area that makes it easy to meet other travelers. The kitchen is well stocked with supplies and there is a free breakfast every morning. The location couldn't be any better it is just around the corner from the Tyn church and the famous clock. The metro is very close also. You can walk from the train station too. Don't pay the crazy cab fair from the train station to the hostel they soaked me a very experienced traveler for $50 when it is only a 20 min walk. Prague is packed with tourists more then I ever expected so be prepared for it. It isn't that cheep of a place either except for the beer. It is one of the most beautiful European cities but also one of the most touristed you will not meet local Czech people or see real culture in this city so don't be disappointed like I was. Over I would recommend the Prague Square hostel mostly because of it's location but don't expect to get much sleep. Every Night there is a pub crawl so that is fun and a okay deal. If you are American and want to watch American football go to the Drunken Monkey. I think the best part of Prague was the small narrow streets behind the so called castle (doesn't feel like a castle at all) it took me many days to finally find this area of Prague there were no tourists and very picturesque pretty streets.

Room Tip: Get the least amount of beds in a room you can beacause rude drunken colege kids will wake you up!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank rvsalesking
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I can't believe how central this place is - and really easy to navigate to from the airport, don't be daunted to jump on the metro, I know the instructions are fiddly, but it is so easy to find.

I want to be really fair about this place, so although the location is super central - it is noisy, we were up on the 4th floor and were kept awake a few times...but the staff were so friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was a nice touch.

As 2 girls staying here, it was man heavy - as you'd probably expect from Prague, but the location being so central meant we felt really safe and able to brave the pubs and bars....also full of men!

All in all, a great time and I would recommend this place to like minded people...which is you're in Prague to have a great time, and location is key....then this is a top place to crash and recover between sightseeing and the pubs!

Room Tip: Request 4th floor (top floor) to make sure you're away from the noise of the kitchen/reception
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2011

The location is a no-brainer, you will NOT find a better location. The hostel is nice, not the most modern or luxurious, but for that price it is not bad at all. Although it was my first time staying in a hostel, I can say the staff was very friendly and helpful (the receptionist changed everyday, and they all were very nice) and the people there are young, from all over the world, and want to have fun. It is a really good place to stay in Prague. I don't think I could have found a better place.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This hostel was good for what we were looking for.
The rooms are VERY small, with 10 beds squeezed together. There wasn't room for moving around. There also wasnt a locker for every bed, which made me nervous. However, the kitchen and bathrooms were good sizes and the location was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends