“Far from center, but OK”

Discounts Prague Hotel
Ranked #534 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Booked this hotel because of low price, and was afraid. it seemed to be too far from the centre, too cheap to be ok (rooms, breakfast, etc.). Well, I was wrong: for the price they charged it is the best choice in Prague. First, it takes just 30 minutes to get to the centre (tram+metro). Second, it is very quiet place comparatively to others I used to stay in Prague. Third, rooms are big enough, free wifi (but only in a lobby), and sufficient breakfast. Disadvantages: shared bathroom. And no privacy - 2 showers together, the door could not be locked. The light did not work in WC.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 September 2011

This Bed and Breakfast is in a very quiet and safe residential neighborhood, about a 1/4 mile walk from the nearest tram stop. It is located west of the castle district and takes very little time to get to the center of town via tram and metro. The very plain room was adequate for travellers but is by no means a romantic type of accomodation . There were two twin beds with very thin mattresses. The bathroom facilities are separated by gender and are down the hall. No TV or refrig in the room. The continental breakfast consisted of milk, juice, cereal, along with a prepared platter of bread/rolls, cheeses, yogurt, and deli meats. Free parking. I'd stay there again, but I'm not overly difficult to please.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights. The room is very small, the bathroom is like the size of an aeroplane's. Taking a shower was horrible. The so-called "wide variety of buffet breakfast" was a major overstatement of just cereals, milk, orange juice etc. We ate out instead. It's located in an inconvenient place, especially dreadful to return to after a long day. The rooms weren't cleaned thru out the stay. Even after we have feedback to the staff who assured us that our room will be cleaned n made up, we returned to uncleared bins, towels which we placed on the bathroom floor to be changed were left where they were n we were without clean towels. Definitely 100% not recommended.

1  Thank Dianahplee
Reviewed 24 August 2009

we stayed with few friends in the Penzion Sprint for 3 nights.
It was the cheapest accommodation which I fond so I exepected some kind of the worse hostel but I was suprise by the good standart of rooms and their staff.
Every body was extremly friendly, the housekeeper cleaned our room every day.
Buffet breakfast cost 100 czk and it good enought for dont feel hungry half a day.
So we were satisfied with the accommodation, that is really good value for the money

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I stayed there for 8 nights in March-April 2009, choosing it because it was the only place where they kept a very favourable low-season rate even into April.
My feelings about it are somewhat mixed. The con´s:
1) They ONLY accept immediate cash payment, even though you have booked with a credit card on the internet. I had such a reservation for 8 nights and thought that I would
at least be able to check in upon my 8 hours of travel from Italy, promising to pay in the same afternoon. But I was immediately sent off to get the money and was not able
to have access to any room. It was suggested that I should take a tram to the centre, a rather complicated solution, and I wanted to walk to find one.
This resulted in bad advice about a cash machine nearby, hidden among anonymous buildings, impossible to find, and I ended up walking 1,5 Kms each way in disappointing industrial quarters.
I have worked for years in a hotel myself and I am not easily provoked, but this was simply not good attitude or customer service. With my CC registered and a stay of
8 nights, promising to pay within a few hours and no demand of having a key with me,
the chances that I was somehow trying to cheat them economically were zero.
2) Its location: it is in a residencial area with really nothing going on or worth studying.
There is an unattractive restaurant associated with the pension and a few shops to the left near the tennis courts down on the way to the Prague Castle (including a good bakery), and a boring area with blocks and a few supermarkets to the north, but this is at least 15 mins walk from the pension. The villas near the pension are of limited interest,
a few of them with a bit of Functionalist details. This means that you have to walk 25 mins to the Prague Castle or use public transport, taking 15mins.
The Castle area is an expensive and touristy area (beautiful of course), but after that comes the equally expensive and touristy area along the Nerudova street, so on foot you will have to walk 45mins to get to the central city area along the river, or use public transport, in order to experience normal Prague city life and shopping. The tram is 10mins away (nr.18).
3) The cleaning: my room was not cleaned at all for the last 4 days.
4) Breakfast: It cost 60 KCS extra. On the first morning, I saw only an unattractive version of it and did not have it, but a few days later it was much improved - considering the price - and I used for the rest of my stay. The place to eat it is very small.
5) The interior. My room was very simple, not pretty, but OK for the price.The bathrooms were clean, but they had these terrible, monumental pissoirs, complete with yellow pills - the first thing you see when you enter the toilet section, and the showers are only hidden behind curtains. Water was good and OK, though.
6) Payment II: They added a so-called "city tax" of CZK 20,- per night to my booking-indicated total price. But they did not specify it on the bill,and apparently my payment was thus simply sketchily increased to CZK 3000,-, maybe 100 CZK. This is not an acceptable way of establishing payments. I didn´t complain, though, due to occasional Kafkaesque feelings there ...

The pro´s :
1) The price was unbeatable, half of anything else
2) Some of the staff tried to offer good service. My clothes were washed
on request by the cleaning lady for 100 CZK. Language skills were OK
for most of them.
3) There was a free internet computer in the lobby
4) The later part of the breakfast, also served quite early.
5) Safety: you leave the key when going out, and the area is quiet and safe.

So: If you can get a substantially cheap price, you might consider staying
there. If a few Euros doesn´t matter, stay in a more charming and/or central area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Thank joen.dk
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I'd booked this place via hostelbookers.com thinking that this was one of the cheaper alternatives for a 2-person room. Boy was I wrong.

Not only did the receptionist barely speak English, she was also clueless and tried to charge us 90 Kc(Czech crowns) extra, claiming that this was extra tax and it was standard everywhere. Now, I'd stayed at another place for a day before (Hotel Grand - also booked via hostelbookers) and they didn't charge us any extra charges!!

This place is way too far out of town. It is situated 10 mins downhill from the tram stop which is 1/2 hour away from the nearest underground station. In other words, you spend at least 1- 1 1/2 hours a day travelling to and fro from the nearest underground station - Hradcanska to Penzion Sprint.

It's in a residential area, so there are no shops nearby. There is a Tesco Express at Hradcanska tho(1/2 hour away from Penzion Sprint). Tea and coffee cost 15 Kc and it's DIY, meaning you pay for the teabag/3-in-1 coffee powder or so that's the impression I got.

Only good part was that we could use the microwave in the kitchen. Although, the kitchen was locked for most of the time and if we ever wanted to use the microwave, we had to get the keys from the receptionist. (Most of the receptionists- saw 4-5 different people - BARELY speak English)

The toilet and showers are separated according to gender. 2 toilets and 2 showers for each sex on each floor. Personally, I feel that the showers are kinda spooky. To a certain extent, I like the fact that there's a full-length mirror in the girl's shower room however... there are just too many mirrors and it feels eerie at night. (I guess I blame it on watching too many horror movies).

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody. When sightseeing, in my opinion, all you need is a convenient place to sleep and this place definitely isn't very convenient to get to. I'd rather pay the 1 euro extra and stay somewhere closer to the town. Only reason I stayed was cos of the prior booking and the deposit.

PS: DON'T PAY THE EXTRA CHARGES IF IT'S NOT STATED IN YOUR BOOKING!! (It's most definitely not standard and not all places charge extra.)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed in the Penzion Sprint in May, when it was absolutely boiling hot - so the initial jaunt from the airport bus drop-off to the hotel was a bit exhausting (a 20 minute walk along a motorway and up a hill). We quickly discovered that it was 5 minutes from the Baterie tram stop, so would have been easier to go into the centre of the town and get the tram back out. Oh well. It's in a very sleepy suburb, 15 minutes from the centre of the old town and 30 minutes from the castle. The transport links in the city are superb so getting about is a doddle.

The Sprint is a collection of rooms served by a front desk and a ladies and mens' communal shower/toilets. We found it exceptionally clean by any standards - although we were the only guests staying at the Sprint during this time.

Breakfast was pretty naff - a selection of plastic salamis, some break, a croissant and a yoghurt - all prepared days before (we could see each days in the fridge at reception) and left on a tray outside your room in the morning. It was edible but not the best. The machine coffee on the other hand was superb - grab as many of these as you can before 10 as you have to pay for them after!

The staff are a small family, very friendly although their English was as good as our Czech. We managed though. We were expected to pay before the stay as well- which was a surprise, and we opted to pay in euros as it was marginally cheaper then (with the currency exchange) and we didn't have enough Kronas on us.

There is a restaurant attached which we didn't frequent - though it looked fine. We chose to head a few tram stops down the road from Baterie and buy beers and deli foods from a supermarket. I think we spent a few pounds each time and bought quite a bit of food. Great! There's a table in the room as well and a big window, so evenings can be very relaxing in the heat.

Overall, it was actually great value for money. Clean, quiet and cheap with easy access to the city centre. if you're lucky you might get to see the local youth football teams play a game on the pitch behind the hotel too.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends