“Not going back”

Ranked #590 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Netherlands
“Not going back”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have to say this was one of the worst places I've ever stayed at. My main feeling was that I didn't want to touch anything because it looks like cleanliness is not the main priority.

But let's go in stages:
- On arrival we were asked to pay, which was ok. Be prepared for this and take money with you, otherwise you'll have to get it from an ATM quite far from the pension as they don't accept cards;
- We booked two rooms, both with bathroom. They tried to give us one room without bathroom, for the same price. We had to argue to get the price corrected to a room without bathroom;
- The place doesn't look as neat as in the photos. I avoided touching stuff in the bathroom because it doesn't look to be very clean;
- The breakfast is served at the door. It was better than I expected. Enough quantity, ok bread, terrible juice.
- The pension is located in a residential area. We did see some embassies close by, therefore it can be considered to be in the embassy area. It takes you around 20 minutes by foot to get to the castle, which is perfectly doable, and it's also a nice walk in between villa's and trees. You can also take tram 18, which is a 5 minute walk from the pension and it stops in the city center;
- There are no supermarkets or acceptable restaurants in the surroundings, make sure you eat in the city center or take food back with you;
- The people spoke English and were nice;
- We made reservations for 155 euros, but when we checked our bank account they charged 165. Make sure the price they give you in the invoice (Czech crowns) converts to the price that was mentioned to you in the reservation!
- The noise was terrible. You hear everything and during the all night. People walking and talking, running water, people doing their business in other rooms, people outside. If you have a light sleep, stay away;
- The bathroom of the room was just like the one in a train or airplane, but with a shower. And it smelled.

In summary, I wouldn't stay there again. I would prefer to pay a bit more and stay in a nicer place.

Room Tip: The rooms in the "basement" are probably better than in the main floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GMartins1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The hotel is located in a quiet area, but not as it has been said by the administration in the diplomatic area. Just be sure to get back with day light, since in the evening the area is quite dark. The administration does not respect bookings or pre-paid reservations, and ask extra money. Besides, as it has been said by other people who had the bad luck to end here, usually clients are charged more money than their reservation. If you want to be in a far away place from the city center, get cheap accomodation, and be cheated, this is the perfect place to be.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Anastasio186338

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Dijon, France
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We spent there 4 nights with a friend. Chose this pension for its very cheep price (I mean really cheap) and we weren´t excepting much.. Facilities in our room were very simple, with small bathroom - accurate for the price. It was really clean I must say...No prob with this..
Didn´t try breakfast, we always ate in the city. Language skills of staff were good.
We were little surprised by paying an extra accomodation tax (not much money), but it was explained to us, anyway it would maybe look better if it was included in the price from the begining, real budget travellers might really disagree.
It is located in quiet area, there isn´t much to do around, we saw it as an advantage - no brawlers/ troublemakers nearby.
We fonud it nice to have the Casle in walking distance; we were given first ticket for public transport, bough 24h tickets when we got to the city.

We only used the pension for sleeping, taking shower - rest a little, you know... and ENJOYED the city - food, monuments, night life, shopping..
If you want the same as we did - spend your money for having pleasure from the city and have cheap and simple place to lay your had at night - you might find it just the right place for you.

Room Tip: If you travel as a bunch of friends and don´t mind sleeping together, take the dormitory room - this...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlotte_Legrand
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Avoid this hotel. First of all it can easily happened to anyone thgat you made a reservation for a certain price, or you paid in advance for certain room, and once you arrive they tell you that your room has been taken by someone else, and that you have to pay much more money if you want to stay (this happened to me). They take advantage of this, especially during high season, once you arrive and do not have much idea of where else to go. Actualy they tried to charge me 6 times more the price I pre-paid. Second, people who run this hotel, especially the owner is very rude, and does not care at all about customers. He is just interested in getting paid. Beisdes, do not be surprised if you will be asked more money for some "extra" services, which are normally included in the price. Third, it is located in a very bad area, far away from the center, where there is literally nothing around, but some houses. Although the nearest tram station is like 600 meters from the hotel, this area could be dangerous at night, since it is obscure, and as I said you wont find restaurants or shops nearby. For all people who might consider of coming to this place, forget about it. There are hundreds of hotels, hostals and pensions in Prague which are by far much better than this pension in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Anastasio186338
penzionsprint, Manager at Discounts Prague Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Hello, Thanks for your rating. Our guesthouse has 20 rooms. If you had a room with someone, then you've paid the cheapest dormitory type accommodation. You can not make you pay more than you have specified. Outside the resort fee is not included in the price. The owner of the guest house is not a man but a woman, you probably have a problem with the reception. When asked for payment and you are here at the time of the New Year, so appointed should fully occupied and is payable upon arrival.
Pension is situated in a quiet part of Prague diplomatic, some clients choose him for the position. The city center is 20 minutes. We are sorry that you were unhappy, your comments will be taken into account. reception
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I was inter-railing with a group of girls and we stayed here because it was incredibly cheap. There were four of us and we had a room to ourselves which was quite nice really, the beds were what you expect for the price and we had a table in the room with four chairs.

The bathrooms caused a slight problem as there were two toilets and one was blocked for the majority of our trip while the flush on the other was broken. This was, however, fixed after about 24 hours. The showers were simple and we had no problems with them.
One issue upon arrival was that we found that our bill was more than we had expected, roughly 20 Kr each - tourist tax - not their fault but a warning would have been nice!

The hostel is quite far out of Prague so use of public transport (trams) is necessary. The hostel claimed to stock tickets for this but didn't have any during our stay and the nearest tram stop with a ticket machine was a good 30 minute walk away so I'd recommend buying in advance.
This hostel is far out which really isn't a problem as we ended up buying 24 hour travel cards (110 Kr each) every day and lots of tram lines go up there. The castle is walkable from here which is a lovely day out, the hostel provided maps which were fairly poor so I'd say it is best to bring your own.

There is one computer and wi-fi which was useful. They stock snacks and drinks along with a coffee machine which is all fairly reasonable and they've no problem with you eating/drinking it in your room.

There are a LOT of bugs so take repellent!
Overall I thought the place was quite cute really and if you aren't looking for luxury then why not!

Room Tip: Noise travels in this place. When our room was quiet we could hear conversations in the bathrooms do...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here because the price was right and, overall, it wasn't terrible. The staff seemed overly concerned with whether or not I was going to pay for things. They were willing to give me a metro ticket and map when they didn't have enough change, but told me four times the amount I would owe upon my return; when I did get back, I was immediately reminded that I owed the money (which amounted to about $5 U.S.) and was not offered my key until I did so. Even given a less service-oriented culture, some of the staff were overly rude. I was shoved (literally) out of the way of the coffee machine (which dispensed AWFUL AWFUL coffee which was mostly water) when I failed to operate it properly. Located in the sixth district, it took me about 15 minutes to get to the first - three tram stops, three metro stops. It was nice to stay in a more residential neighborhood, but besides the bar adjacent to the hostel, there is nothing within walking distance (i.e. a convenience store, etc.) and while the hostel has for sale a few food items (crisps/biscuits) and water/beer, it lacks a kitchen area and is for the most part less "homey" than many hostels, despite its residential location. Don't expect much from the staff in terms of getting advice/directions, but the rooms/facilities are reasonably clean and comfortable. I stayed downstairs/garden level/basement and could not access the wifi at all from my room. I was offered an "upgrade" to en suite facilities for about $15 U.S./night; the prefab shower/toilet room was less an than arms' width wide and I ended up soaking the entire "room" each time I tried to shower. All told, probably not worth the extra money. The stay wasn't all bad; the neighborhood is quiet and the publc transport in Prague is so efficient that it's really no bother to get around (beware of the STEEP three block hill to get to the tram though). For the price, it made sense to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Deena V
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

It's the hotel for budget travelers. Everything is simple and plain: room, breakfast. In our room we had two beds with clean bed linens, chair, table and two stools. All of this is not new, but usable. Breakfast served on separate plate for each guest on the folding table in front of the each room. You can eat in your room or in the lobby. Beverages for breakfast (tea, coffee, orange juice) in the lobby. Shared bathroom on the floor. Some cabins can not be locked and burned out some light bulbs there...But for this price is quite acceptable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple