“Great rooms, great location!”

Barcelo Old Town Praha
Ranked #86 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great rooms, great location!”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Arrived at the reception to be greated with a smile and glass of champayne, this coupled with the lovely decor signalled a great start to our holiday. We explained we had booked a double room and was given the keys. We went up to the 1st floor room, which although very nice, was not a double bed but 2 singles pushed together. I personally hate it when hotel's try to do this as it means one of you end up uncomfortable! I called down to the reception, who informed me, in a less friendly tone, that they had no other doubles and if we were unhappy we would have to come downstairs. Not looking forward to the forthcoming discussion but none the less unwilling to settle, my partner and I went back downstairs, where to our suprise without any further conversation we were given a solemn unfriendly look but another key....

We went up to our room and was amazed to find we had been upgraded to the most beautiful suite, with all the mod cons, a huge bathroom, separate WC, separate mini-bar/dressing room, ginormous bed and views over central prague!!! A great result to a complaint, though a smile or apology wouldn't have gone a miss.

The hotel is perfectly positioned for all manner of pubs, clubs, restaurants but most importantly, an ideal base for exploring this fascinating, gorgeous city and all of it's amazing architecture.

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hamjunkie1980

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We love Prague stayed here for our 4th stay on NYE and will be returning fantastic hotel

• Stayed December 2010
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Excellent position, beautifull suite under the roof with excellent view to old Prague, good breakfast,..........

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed one night in this hotel and had two bad experiences with the staff: I asked about where to buy stamps for my postcards and then they offered me to directly purchase the stamps from them and they will pick the stamps onto the postcards later on. So I paid the stamps and gave them my postcards. In the end the postcards have never arrived, non of the 12 people I adressed them to ever received my postcards.
The other bad experience happend, when I asked them to order a taxi for me to get to a nearby station. The person at the reception called a number and ordered the taxi. It took a while until the taxi finally arrived at the reception. It turned out not to be an official taxi company they called, rather a private person in a private car who finally charged me double as much as the normal official taxi prices were.
However, the rooms were clean and the breakfast was good . Nevertheless, because of two things which happend to me regarding the staff, I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Vera G
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The location of this hotel is awsome. It's in the middle of old town, you can reach everything within a maximum of 10 minutes. The hotel has really nice and large rooms. For 3 nights we stayed in an deluxe junior suite, which was the only room in the 6th floor. It was really nice, but you had to watch your head...:)
The furniture of this room was very nice ( two flatscreens, four armchairs) and everything perfectly matched.
Only point of critic was the house keeping. The cleaning team did not really clean. on our second day we broke a glass, we pickt up most of the broken piece of glass, but still could find some after cleaning.
The breakfast was good and they had a great choice of different cheese and fruits.

Anyway the stay was nearly perfect and I would highly recoment staying there.

Room Tip: We first had a room on second floor, but we could hear the music of the bar in the first floor ( the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends for a weekend break. We couldn't believe how nice the hotel was when we arrived. The location is fantastic just along from the old town square and before you get to the powder tower.
We got a free upgrade to a suite. The Living room was large and the bed huge. We also had a balcony which was great for people watching. The staff all friendly.
Breakfast great in the morning. I don't have a single complaint about this hotel. My only worry is that the cost of this place will go up with so many people giving it such great reviews!!!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank BigAlfife
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Staff answered my emails promptly before we arrived, were very helpful and pleasant when we got there. Free internet facilities, both wireless connection and a desktop you could use in the business centre. Rooms were of the standard expected, ours was the cheapest available but clean/spacious/comfortable. Maid service every day, chefs cook omlettes to order every other day. Only caveat would be that I didn't like the twin beds which gaped in the middle and the sheets didn't always tuck in altheough bedding was changed every other day and otherwise fine.
But: location, location, location! Smack bang in the centre and everything in walking distance. I'm pleased we stayed there, it added value to our break.
Food in Prague generally is not up to scratch and pricey, apart from breakfast (good) we didn't try other meals, but that was because we wanted to explore.

Room Tip: Inner city, don't expect any great views unless you go for the luxury option.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple