“Great place, thanks”

Buddha-Bar Hotel Prague
Ranked #47 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I stayed for three nights in late October. We picked the Buddha Bar Hotel based on Trip Advisor recommendations and we were certainly not disappointed.

We pre-arranged a transfer (with fee added to room bill) and a prompt and very polite driver met us at arrivals. From here on in it felt like a real luxury break. The room was ready on arrival and very cool. The receptionist took us through how everything worked - the room is quite hi-tech so well worth paying attention to her intro! Free welcome drinks followed shortly afterwards.

The stand alone bath was pretty striking, especially with the tv hidden away in the mirror. We had a good supply of Occitaine toiletries, comfy robes and numerous soft towels. We read through the pillow menu with some amusement.

The free coffee machine was very welcome and there was a well stocked mini bar. The room was cleaned in the afternoon and then there was an evening turndown service, with snack and chocolate.

The hotel is very centrally located, within a few miuntes of the Old Town Square and then a short walk further brings you to Charles Bridge.

The breakfast, which was included in our room rate, included the usual buffet offering and also a really good cooked option. As mentioned by a previous reviewer the orange juice was particularly good. We also had cocktails in the evening in the Buddha Bar itself. These were a fair bit more expensive but well worth it as a treat.

For night life I'd also recommend the Chapeau Rouge if you want a loud bar and Restaurant U Zlatne Konvice for traditional Czech food in a oldie-worldie setting.

All-in-all a really good trip and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Buddha Bar Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Left the #1 Tripadvisor rated hotel in the world for 2011 after being there for 30 long minutes. Lucky for us Budda-Bar was recommended. The fact is this place is very unique and it took many days to notice all the style and design that went into this place. You CAN"T beat the location. It is right in the center of everything. Its on a quite street so no noise issues. We paid 228 Euros and at that price it is a great value. They upgraded our room because they felt bad because of the problems we had at the #1 hotel. If I was still not suffering jet lag I would attempt to list all the little things that are so cool about this hotel, I bet I could come up with 100. I would like to shake the hand of whoever is the brains behind and thought this place up.

As much as I liked this hotel I HATED the breakfast. There were so few items and what they did have looked crappy to me. I ended up eating grapes and toast, and skipped it the other days. They did have some of the best fresh squeezed Orange juice. But Its got to be one of the worst breakfast I have ever had in any level hotel in Europe.

F.S. is probably the only other place I saw I would want to stay at in Prague. But their price was over 2x's as much. I would avoid the #1 in the world and #2 in Prague ( Somebody explain that to me ?) This place is a much better value.

1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We spent five nights at Buddha Bar. Certainly an unusual hotel, with many dark corridors (designed that way). Great service, great breakfast, great location, huge room. Quiet.

But...our room was too techie for me. That is obviously part of the design...an attempt to be different. But there must have been a million light switches in our room; every night we spend the last five minutes trying to figure out how to turn them all off. Similarly, the TV/sound system is very techie...so techie that we never could figure out how to use it.

But everything else was great. My wife says she gives it five stars, but I am the writing this review!

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel and it was amazing. First of all the best aspect of this hotel has to be the staff. The service was second to none. Very friendly, helpful and always smiling.

Secondly, the decor really carried the romantic atmosphere of the whole hotel. The location is a few mins walk from old town square.

The hotel bar and restaurant upheld the Buddha theme and was beautifully decorated. My partner said they were some of the best cocktails she ever had.

Overall we had very high expectations from reading the reviews, our stay exceeded them.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 19 October 2011

my wife and i went for four days holiday to prague on 10 oct 2011. we stayed and Budha Bar Hotel in the old town. Our stay was excellent and the staff were very helpful. the hotel was very clean and well presented. the rooms and the facilities were very good. Food was good too.

they don't have a swimming pool & gym facilities are some distance from the hotel so i didn't use them

We wanted to enjoy Czech food and hotel advised us of two restaurants in the old town near the hotel. we tried them both and the food was excellent and very good value. Very big helpings. I tried the Czech Beer and it is excellent. My wife had Czech red wine and that was great too.

The restaurants were: Kolkovna, at V Kolkovne 8, Old Town Prague 1, & Lary Fary at Dlouha 35, Old Twon Prague 1

I had also arranged a guide through Ms Marketa, whose name & email I found on Trip advisor. She was busy herself and she arranged for Eva, to show us around Prague. Eva is a wonderful young lady and a very good guide. we took two 4 hour tours with her over two days. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

We visited Prague for our honeymoon and spent 7 nights at the Buddha Bar Hotel. We were collected with ease by the hotel's driver in a very nice Audi car. The check-in was fine and we were shown the basic controls (of which there are probably too many light switches, light switches everywhere!) of our room.

The room itself was very nice with plenty of room and a fantastic bed, lots of cupboard space and a complimentary Nespresso machine. The bathroom was great although it was disapointing to find that the TV at the end of the bath tub only had 4 channels tuned in, none of which were paticularly interesting.

I did have 2 problems during our stay. The first was with regards to cleaning. Although the cleaning staff did a fantastic job, the actual time they would turn up to your room seemed to be completely random each day. After returning from a morning walk at midday on our first full day in Prague we found that our room had not been cleaned. I went to reception to ask why this was and received an apology from the male receptionist and was told it was probably a mistake. The room was cleaned within half an hour. The following day we returned to our room at 1:30pm and once again it had not been cleaned. Once again I went to reception where I spoke to a female receptionist who gave me an explanation that on the day of arrival and on the day of departure a guest's room is cleaned in the morning. On every other day of a guest's stay the room is cleaned in the afternoon. On our 3rd and 4th days we were out for most of the day and thankfully when we returned the room had been cleaned. On the 5th day we returned to our room at 2:30pm and it still had not been cleaned! As the cleaners were still in the corridor and as I was fed up with talking to reception about it we just went back out again. On the 6th day we had a knock on our door at 9:30am with the cleaning staff wanting to clean our room!! We checked out in the morning after breakfast on the 7th day so who knows when the room was cleaned.

As I said the actual cleaning of the room was fine but the timing of a cleaning service in any hotel should always be a highly consistent routine to allow the most comfortable stay for guests. To return to a hotel room at lunchtime and find it in the same condition it was in when you left the hotel at 9:30 that morning is hardly service of a high standard.

The other problem I had was with breakfast. This was taken in the hotel's Sindaharta Cafe. As well as a choice from the buffet we were able to select items for a cooked breakfast. Sadly, although this cooked breakfast was perfectly edible it is nowhere near the quality of a 5 star hotel and far better can be found in any number of cafes around the city. Also, on our 1st and 2nd mornings we were brought a lovely basket of fresh pastries and breads along with jams but on the 3rd day this didn't arrive and when I asked the waiter if we could have it he said he would check with the chef... but he never returned to our table. Although these pastries were sometimes available from the buffet, they sometimes weren't. Again there's a lack of consistency in the service here as well as a lack of communication from the staff, who it should also be noted were not always very friendly.

Everyone has different needs and wants from a hotel stay and looking at the other reviews of the Buddha Bar I can see many have really enjoyed it and although there was much to like I did feel it lacked the polished, consistent service you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: As mentioned in someone else's review, if you feel the need to sleep with a window open... bewar...
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this beautiful new boutique hotel in Prague and we can confirm all the positive comments read in former reviews, except for the restaurant we didn't visit. Our "very good" rating (not excellent) is due to some minor aspects like :
- our bathtub drain was leaking and not repaired during our stay, though noticed and promised on day 1;
- no turn down service on day 2, although promised by the personnel when leaving room before 8 p.m.;
- tv channels did not match the printed directory (a.o. no French channels against 3 or 4 in directory);
- breakfast good but not a 5 star level;
- some domotic facilities in room and toilet rather complicating than facilitating (more toy than tool)
Overall, we were satisfied with our stay and would probably return there at a next occasion.

Room Tip: rooms at backside probably more quiet than at front side, street noise from bars nearby make closure...
3  Thank denodeniet